Sign in to follow this  
Opa

Landing Gear Position

Is this correct?I have watched real world aircraft land many, many times and I have never seen this.The gear has always (I thought) been in a heel-toe position rather than the toe-heel shown in this Posky 767 aircraft.Any comments?

Certainly is.The B767 has tip-toe bogies to fit the bays when retracting. Makes it a little bit harder when landing because the tendency is to relax the back-pressure on the yoke when the front wheels touch and it drops solidly onto the back if you're not careful. If you've got the runway length, you can fly it down onto the back wheels gently but it takes a bit of practice and anyway it's not the recommended way although the pax obviously prefer it.The B757 has normal rear wheel trailing bogies and is easier to land ( but not as satisfying to fly as the 76)Colin B

Thanks for all the feedback guys (even yours Jim).I guess I had not seen a 767 landing in real life - just other "heavies" which have the heel-toe stance.From the viewpoint of a spectator, the toe-heel position looks like it would put a lot of stress on the landing gear - but who am I to argue with Boeing engineers?Thanks again.