Sign in to follow this  
Barthandelus

AIRAC error

Hi Guys - Just a quick question - I come across an airport that i believe has the wrong ILS frequency assigned to it (Runway 28, at EIDW). I come into land, no different from the 100's of PMDG landing i have made, but the ILS that the plane tunes to is different than what is shown on the FSX map. In this case, FSX is showing 108.9/280, but the plane tunes to something totally different, so i cant make an ILS landing unless i manually change the freq in the nav/rad screen on the FMC.Sure, its no problem to check the ILS freq and correct if necessary (yes, i know i should, but after loads of landings, iv got lazy and taken it for granted!), but i was wondering - where does the error lie?Is it FSX, my Navigraph data or the plane?Im assuming its not FSX, as that is fixed. It must be the Navigraph data as the plane reads from that on loading - but im not sure if that provides airport freq's or just waypoint updates. Do ILS freq's change...?Out of interest, how can i manually fix this?Thanks for your help

ILS frequencies do change, they are not fixed. The problem is almost certainly with FSX, which has data that is many years old now. The fix is to tune to the FSX freq or get an AFCAD file with an updated frequency to put into FSX. You can also download an AFCAD editor, there are free ones available in AVSIM library such as Airport Design Editor by Scuffy Duck.

Dan Downs KCRP

ILS frequencies do change, they are not fixed. The problem is almost certainly with FSX, which has data that is many years old now. The fix is to tune to the FSX freq or get an AFCAD file with an updated frequency to put into FSX. You can also download an AFCAD editor, there are free ones available in AVSIM library such as Airport Design Editor by Scuffy Duck.
Thanks, Dan. I thought that FSX would be the issue. I guess the easiest thing would be just to double check the FCM before hitting the Localizer. No biggie, really.I have ADE, and i quite like it, actually. Might have a pop at change the freq's at EIDW, seeing as i use that airport as my gateway to the US.Thanks again, mate. :-)

Hi Adrian!

I thought that FSX would be the issue. ... Might have a pop at change the freq's at EIDW, seeing as i use that airport as my gateway to the US.
As someone who from time to time "drops in" to Dublin after a short hop from the UK I can confirm that the problem definitely lies with fsx. And the first time I encountered it, I was irritated, too! :( I would suggest you consider various alternatives, including: (i) make a patch for that ILS, as suggested by Dan (which is what I did, about five minutes after encountering the problem for the first, and last, time), or (ii) since you use Dublin on a regular basis, perhaps you might perhaps wish to invest in version 1.1 of the new Eiresim Dublin for fsx (details and pics here)?(And no, I have no connection, business or otherwise, to Eiresim, and I haven't used the scenery myself so am not in a position to comment further

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Hi Adrian!As someone who from time to time "drops in" to Dublin after a short hop from the UK I can confirm that the problem definitely lies with fsx. And the first time I encountered it, I was irritated, too! :( I would suggest you consider various alternatives, including: (i) make a patch for that ILS, as suggested by Dan (which is what I did, about five minutes after encountering the problem for the first, and last, time), or (ii) since you use Dublin on a regular basis, perhaps you might perhaps wish to invest in version 1.1 of the new Eiresim Dublin for fsx (details and pics here)?(And no, I have no connection, business or otherwise, to Eiresim, and I haven't used the scenery myself so am not in a position to comment further

The list is long Adrian :( A lot of airports have changed ils frequencies. added or removed runways. etc.Among them KATL, KIAD, EDDF, KORD, KJFK etc. Also a lot of the smaller airports with one runway which have 2 ils frequencies only appear to have 1 in FS as backcourse is enables in most of them.Some are just off course when they shouldn't be either.. GOOY?John Ellison

The list is long Adrian :( A lot of airports have changed ils frequencies. added or removed runways. etc.Among them KATL, KIAD, EDDF, KORD, KJFK etc. Also a lot of the smaller airports with one runway which have 2 ils frequencies only appear to have 1 in FS as backcourse is enables in most of them.Some are just off course when they shouldn't be either.. GOOY?John Ellison
I guess when FSX was released the data was current... Is there a way of updating FSX with a navdata installer?

Don't I wish, but MSFS does not have a navdata database. I spreads this information throughout scenery, airport and faciltiy files globally. It seems like they picked the implementation strategy that would be most difficult to implement an update feature (but cheapest to code). Ah yes, as real as it gets.

Dan Downs KCRP