Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Nicholson KMFR

Clouds on the Ground

Has any one seen this problem yet? While on approach to ABQ Rwy 03, the clouds that the Jepp METAR loaded into the program was calling at 11 thousand feet were on the ground. Actually it looked like the wild fires we had here about a month ago.Terry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi.Yes, that has been seen and mentioned, the testers seem to think that is not a bug? Part of the dynamic Wx. engine? See "Fs9 solutions / issues", thread for other info. TV

Hi, "the testers seem to think that is not a bug? "the 1400 clouds altitude feet I was talking set manually.The clouds on ground, was made for able to implement others things with the clouds vs mountain, blending, lower layer etc.I think this will be solved when you will using active sky 2.0 which will stop the clouds base above the ground.Jepp METAR loaded not help also, there is some problem with the update and metar.Ps: You can try to stop the dynamicly growing clouds on the ground with the dynamic slider level to off.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Thanks everyone for your input. Even with this weird problem, it seems like MS has made some progress in displaying weather.Terry

I'm hoping that ActiveSky 2.0 will fix the clouds growing out of the ground.In the meantime, I'll just pretend it's mountain obscuration, even if I'm on the high plains with no mountains around. :( This problem has shown one thing about FS9; as the clouds move with the wind, one can see the terrain appearing as the cloud moves along the ground.The other day I was making an approach to an airport with a cloud sitting right on the airport. I had a slight tailwind (less than 3 knots) and I could see the airport come into view as the cloud moved in the same direction I was flying. It was an interesting effect to see the runway and buildings coming out of the cloud just as I was approaching the threshold.Bruce

I had the same thing.. Using real weather doing a flight from Denver (airport is at 5000+ ft above sea level) to SFO. On the ground in Denver there were these Thunderheads poking out of the ground. Then ATIS tells me there is a cloud layer at negative 3500 feet!Also all across Utah I got to see clouds popping out of the ground and hills. Quite interesting.I think they may have screwed up and used above ground level measurements for the cloud heights without adding in the heighth of the the ground below them.Still, on balance, the simulation is much smoother, much prettier, and fixes a lot of the annoyances with Fs2002. I can live with the cloud thing.Cheers,Piper

It seems like it's a problem of determining cloud height AGL instead of MSL. I've noticed it once or twice when using weather themes in high-altitude places. It might be related to the old "subterranian winds" problem that FSUIPC fixed. Maybe Pete will fix this one too! At any rate, if ActiveSky 2.0 clears it up, that's good enough for me.thanks,