Sign in to follow this  
Adrian West

Installation of add-ons really slow in W7

I am in the process of reinstalling my whole FS set up on a new PC. The new PC has W7 Home Prem 64 bit and is based on a Core i7 system. The system is really fast, and obviously runs FS2004 with no problems. However I am finding that installing new add-ons, whether this be sceneries or aircraft, is a painfully slow process. Extracting files from a zip file takes forever, and you can watch maybe only 1-2 files being extracted PER SECOND!!! I am getting a similar situation with add-ons that install through an .exe file. This may be OK for a small add-on, but for something like 9 Dragons' Kai Tak it took something like 45 mins which is absolutely ridiculous for a system of this spec. It is significantly slower than installing add-ons on my old XP SP3 system. I have a registered copy of Winzip 14, which is compatible with W7 64 bit. According to Winzip's support pages it could be something to do with Windows Attachment Manager, and it suggests that there is a way of circumventing this by right-clicking on the zip file, selecting Properties and then clicking on Unblock. Well I don't get any Unblock button on my system. Any thoughts or suggestions? Reinstalling FS takes long enough as it is, but this is going to drive me crazy. Thanks.

Check you not running an anti-virus program AND windows defender

Peter Schluter

Check you not running an anti-virus program AND windows defender
Yes, I am running antivirus but not Windows Defender. I have Kaspersky Internet Security which is an all-in-one package, so I have no need of Windows Defender. I had the same setup on my old XP machine, never turned off antivirus when installing software, and never experienced this sort of painfully slow installation. Why would this combination of antivirus and Windows Defender cause a problem anyway? Should I be de-activating Kaspersky when I install add-ons, and if so, why?

Yes, I am running antivirus but not Windows Defender. I have Kaspersky Internet Security which is an all-in-one package, so I have no need of Windows Defender. I had the same setup on my old XP machine, never turned off antivirus when installing software, and never experienced this sort of painfully slow installation. Why would this combination of antivirus and Windows Defender cause a problem anyway? Should I be de-activating Kaspersky when I install add-ons, and if so, why?
I read somewhere (NickN ?) you should disable your anti-virus programs during software installation . Not sure why. You might try it. Nothing to lose .Jack

Guest firehawk44
Should I be de-activating Kaspersky when I install add-ons, and if so, why?
Most of the anti-virus programs have been developed to allow software installation but I would recommend turning it off when installing software you are confident it doesn't contain a virus. A while back, it was recommended anti-virus programs be disabled ALL of the time when installing new software because it was looking for changes to your registry or adding/changing files in your system32 folder. If it saw a program trying to modify your registry, it would prevent it and your software would not function properly. But antivirus programs have been updated and it's my understanding that anti-virus programs allow the installation of new software or addons w/o disabling. It now looks for viruses in the software being installed based on known viruses and gives you the opportunity to allow the installation or change if it finds something suspicious. That's why it's important to keep your "patterns" updated. Best regards,Jim