Sign in to follow this  
c152flyboy

difference between FSX. CFG file and FSX. CFG text document

in my FSX folder there are 3 CFG files, one for camera, one for scenery and one for FSX itself. that i get but i have two FSX. CFG files. one is named FSX and the type of file is a CFG file. the other is FSX.CFG and is a text file. when i open bith they have the same information but not in the exact same order. also i noticed the texture_bandwidth_multi= had differnet values , one is 70 and the other is 80.recently i deleted my CFG file so FSX could build a new one but now i dont know if i shoulddelete one of these. if i did this correct i have included a picture of the FSX file.thanks, kyle

It looks like you have known file type extensions hidden -- it would maybe be safer to have these visible, then you'd have a better idea of what each file is.I think you'll find that the text file had a .txt extension, so it won't be read by FSX.

Kyle,it looks like you also have a copy of fsx.cfg that YOU named fsx.original.FSX.cfg is the only one that is read by FSX. orig_fsx.cfg is not. FSX.org is not FSX.original is not. FSX.cfg.txt is not. FSX.txt is not.You can keep or delete any saved version of this file. I keep about a half dozen floating around just so I can remember some of the tweaks that I might have tried in days gone by.And I agree you need to have those file types showing. File types can be critical... stupid thing to hide! What the heck is the file EXE? Without file types showing you don't have a clue. FSX didn't put it there!Loyd

The fsx.CFG.txt file is automatically created by FSX anytime there is an error and FSX crashes. The file would have been sent to MS/ACES as part of the error reporting package. Since ACES aren't around any longer, it makes no sense to bother with sending the error report! :)The following was generated by typing dir /d | clip in a Command Box:

Volume in drive Q is OS Volume Serial Number is 3CCB-9E57 Directory of Q:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX[.]					  fsx.CFG.txt			  Previous flight.WX[..]					 GrantedRewards.BIN	   scenery.cfgCameras.CFG			  GrantedRewardsOld.BIN	[SimObjects][Controls]			   LWcfg.SPB				[Substitutions]dll.xml				  navlog0.HTM			  wxstationlist.BINdxdiag.txt			   navlog2.HTM			  fdr.dat				  Previous flight.FLT	  fsx.CFG				  Previous flight.FSSAVE

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In addition, the exe.xml (EXE) file is a supplement to the dll.xml file and serves to launch (execute) other add-ons.Best regards.Luis

In addition, the exe.xml (EXE) file is a supplement to the dll.xml file and serves to launch (execute) other add-ons.
I've not ever encountered an EXE.xml file myself, nor have I ever run across mention of it in the FSX SDK. I've learned my "new thing for the day" now. Thanks, Louis! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The pleasure is all mine, Bill. Here are the contents of my exe.xml file:<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0"> <Descr>Launch</Descr> <Filename>EXE.XML</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad> <Launch.Addon> <Disabled>True</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Name>AICarriers</Name> <Path>C:\FS Construccion\lamont clark\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path> <CommandLine>-nogui</CommandLine> </Launch.Addon> <Launch.Addon> <Name>Mission Extension for FSX</Name> <Disabled>True</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Extensions\SimVar.exe</Path> </Launch.Addon> <Launch.Addon> <Name>CumulusX</Name> <Disabled>True</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Path>Modules\CumulusX!\CumulusX.exe</Path> <CommandLine></CommandLine> </Launch.Addon> <Launch.Addon> <Name>sim_probe</Name> <Disabled>True</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Path>Modules\sim_probe\sim_probe.exe</Path> <CommandLine></CommandLine> </Launch.Addon> <Launch.Addon> <Name>Living World</Name> <Disabled>True</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Path>addon scenery\Living World\LivingWorld.exe</Path> <CommandLine>LivingWorld</CommandLine> </Launch.Addon>Yikes! Did I disable everything? I must have been testing for shorter load times and forgot to put it all back. Is this what they call a "senior moment"? Good thing you guys brought this up.Best regards.Luis