Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

external FPS Limiter Really Works!

:( :-* I usually don't get too excited about tweaks, because I've done them all. Over and over. Like all of you. A million times. And guess what.... I have found I really never see any difference is slight stutters or scenery twitches over default fsx.cfg brand new, or a tweaked one. UNTIL NOW! Well, the fps limiter (there is only one, google it) really works! My God, my little stutters and twitches are GONE NOW..this one works on my computer:Sager NP9280 Notebook / GTX280M / 6G ram / i7 950 standard speed no overclock. / Vista 64 / 1920x1280 native resolutionFSX was good on my new machine for the last 8 mos..... but like always stuttered somewhat especially with commercial payware jets, and the great PNW scenery here...but still really great..with FPS locked at 30 to 40 depending on the plane and location...I'd set it up.. and most sliders are maxed except scenery as VD, and autgen just D... as fs defaulted it that way on my computer...so I figured that was best.... Then I kept reading about the FPS limiter (again, just google it... everyone has talked about it...I only now discovered it) and got it. FSX runs best at internal slider set to unlimited (yes, frame rate is higher...but stutters worse as it went from 30 to 100 back and forth on my computer yeidling a high variable FR) ....and the external limtier utility set to 30 or I found 40 great...cuz that's what I am used to 40 fps...as my favorite....so anyway.... Unizpped it and ran the .gui exe... then pointed it to my fsx.exe and voila! Now, keep in mind... at first it did nothing for me...perf. was the same ... and I didn't see my frame rate locked as it was supposed to beso then I realized this utility DOES NOT WORK IN DX10 PREVIEW! Oh no! I fly in DX10 preview always...I have always loved the smoother frame rate in DX10 ...plus lighting effects etc.. gosh, DX9 was always jerky and ran lousier on my computer... Well, I just untoggled the dx10 preview, started the frame rate limiter again, and got into FSX and WOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWWO!!!!!The frame rates held at 40ish, despite saying "unlimited" on the screen and all that extra power FSX has is unlocked!!! For some reason, all the experts are right out there, FSX throttles back to maintain the set FR within itself..unlmited unleashes more power.. at the cost of spikes and stutters...but NOT NOW!!!!so you set the FSX slider to unlimited....and run the external limiter on 40 fps!The fluid world I fly in in the pnw scenery in my complex Ariane 737-900, Wilco airliners and tons more hold 30 to 40 fps in the virutal cockpit and smooother than ever!! and I forgot how clear aircraft and scenery looks in DX9! Better in fact than DX10! Go see for yourself if you area DX10 user too..and get the limiter and see what your missing!!!! I hopeothers will benefit as I have...the pnw area looks and pans past my windows like real life...no stutters.....none...all the way in to landing!!! It really works!! for once, something really works..!!!!Just so you know... the only fsx.cfg tweaks I use is Texture Bandwidth mult on 70...scenery seems more clear but I dunno really.. all others.. bufferpools=0, etc. etc... tried them all...for me on my i7, nothing better than the frame rate limiter. Go get it!!Peter

Your a heck of a good writer and i like the way you really explain things. Conviced me to go try it :(

Your a heck of a good writer and i like the way you really explain things. Conviced me to go try it :(
Hmmm, reminds me of someone else who posts rather excitedly on here! :(

FPS Limiter made an enormous difference for me too, mostly because it opened the door for flying heavies with scenery settings high and an accurate amount of AI traffic. Definitely a must try for everyone who hasn't done so yet.

...lemme know how it works for you. I am excited because I hope others like me may "discover" how great things do look and work in DX9 with this tool running. Maybe it's more stable then DX10 also... I hope. I just can't believe how there was an actual slight graphic quality loss when running in DX10 mode ... I never knew it was not great until getting the standard dx9 mode running with the limiter enabled... wow again :(