Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

problems with autogen resize DL??

I thought the download in todays file to resize the autogen textures to improve fps sounded like a good idea-however after I installed them the program would not run but continually came up with a error message to send to microsoft....luckily I kept the original files-restored them and all's well.....did anyone get these new textures to work?

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Yep, had same problem when I replaced the entire folder. Upon closer reading, I found I needed to unzip the files into the orginal folder. Not ALL of the images are in the new downsized zip and when you repalce it at the folder level, you are missing some.Unzip into the orginal folder, over writing the orignal, and it will work. did for me. ;-)

Bob--Did you see any improvement in terms of performance? If so, how much, and against what system specs?-John

Guest Grey_Wolf

I followed the directions, everything installed fine. also my frames went from 14.5avg to 18.5avg

Aha! Thanks Bob-I guess I need to read more carefully!

Guest wathomas777

Did you notice any decrease in the quality of the rendering for the buildings or trees?

Guest ScottPilot

They worked for me!I got a small frame rate boost and the smoothness of the sim went up, with no noticable decrease in image quality of the autogen scenery.Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.

I copied the entire texture folder to another place, and will archive it onto DVD later to free up the HD space. I then copied the files included in the .zip to the original texture folder, over-writing.This produces about +2-3fps for me with no degradation to trees, buildings, etc. This is surely one of the "sweet spots" that will no doubt continue to appear that really have a good effect on frame rates but no perceptable change to quality.Bruce.

I find they work nicely too. Now if someone could replace the awful water textures with something that looks like the ocean.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I'm confused? Are you saying there is two different downloads and one doens't contain all the necessary files? I unzip always to a temp folder than copy the files to the necessary fs9 folder? Can I not do that?Very confused and last night trying them out for the first time, My frame rates were worse than with the original files.

Guest daveg4otu

I just tried the replacement textures- got a small(no more than 1-2 fps increase.Using the default flight settings(C172 Seattle etc),all with standard cockpit view.- take off 18fps(old tex) 19-20(new).in flight -with ground in view -27-28(old),28-30(new).Final approach 20-25(old) 22-26(new).It's difficult to be accurate,but the overall impression was that things were slightly smoother.This was in WinXP- . In WinME the difference was very slightly( 1-2 fps ) greater- but WinME had returned slightly slower fps to start with.Overall conclusion was that the new textures produced very similar Fps in both OS,but that the advantage gained was greater in ME(+ approx 3fps) than in XP(+ 1-2 fps)For reference - my system----AMD Athlon 2000XP (@133/133)ECS K7S5A Mobo 3.1 :04/29/02 Rev BiosSiS 735 Chipset Rev 12 x 256mb DDR RAMGeforce4 Ti-4200-8x 128mb DDR AGPAGP 1.16 WHQL . 4403 Detonator XP Drivers2 x Maxtor 40GB HDD (7200rpm)LG 8x4x32 BurnerLG 52xDirect X 9.0 final Windows ME/ Windows XP pro dual bootBIOS Settings- DRAM Timing Ultra. CAS Latency 3T,RAS ACtive 6T,RAS Precharge 3TL1 Cache Enabled.L2 Cache Enabled.Sys BIOS Cache Disabled.DRAM Drive Slew Rating - FastDave

The ocean problem isn't with the textures. They look pretty good by themselves, but with reflections turned on they are too reflective of the sky and tend to go all neon blue. I think it's a basic problem with the game's rendering engine and I'd be willing to bet that it's why the polished aluminum and chrome on the aircraft looks almost white as well... it's reflecting a little too much. Not that knowing that makes anything work better. If you turn off all effects for the water you'll see what I mean. You don't get the bump mapping, but you also get much darker more realistic H2O.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest product

This was indeed a great idea- I got a few FPS increase which especially increases the smoothness on landing and approach. I wonder what other smart ideas may be out there that permit increased performance with no negative side effects?Joel