Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Miami would be the busiest airport in the States?

Hello all, Today my parents told me that in 5 years Miami would be the busiest airport in USA. That mean: surpassing ORD, JFK, LAX etc... Somebody could be so kind and confirm this news pelase?Thank you in advance,Bruno Francescoli.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm not sure on what criteria they based this projection on, but for 2001: In aircraft movements: the top three are ORD, ATL and DFW. MIA is 12th with about half the number of movements of ORD. By the way JFK isn't in the top 30. By passengers, the top three are ATL, ORD, LAX. MIA is 19th. JFK is 23d on this list. So MIA better get moving if they plan to jump up that far.Bob

Judging from last year's data Miami has quite a ways to go.2001 World Airport Datasource: ACI - Airports Council International

MIA will not be able to climb up to No.1 but it may soar up the charts simply because two of the bottlenecks it has are going to be to be removed.1) A new E/W runway is being constructed which will make it a total of four runways at MIA2) Major improvements are being made to the terminal including new gates to greatly improve availability of parking baysTherefore, watch out for MIA to make a big jump up the league table (ala PHX post-new runway).Shez

And just you wait till we get our 6 parallel runways up and running (KORD)! 100,000 Million no problem! ;) Course now this whole property for the airport land grab thing we have going on in Chicago could drag on for a while..Then when that finally all built in 2010-2015, it'll be time to rebuild and expand Midway! (because of the impending closure of Meigs by that time) :-lol

6th runway at DEN also under construction.I see we're up from #12 to #10, from 2000 to 2001 m(don't know if that's good or bad!) :)Bruce.