Sign in to follow this  
Mikenor

Can't remove stop latches

Hi again,My new problem - I was fighting with this one yesterday. With FS2Crew installed, I cant seem to remove the stop latches. Either with FS2Crew running or not, I go through the startup guide listed in the PMDG forum but the latches wont budge. I end up burning up my engines... When I uninstall FS2Crew and JS41, then re-install JS41 the problem goes away and I am able to remove the stop latches. I installed/uninstalled 3 times yesterday to ensure that was the problem and confirmed it every time.Appreciate any help getting this sorted.Thanks,Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Hi again,My new problem - I was fighting with this one yesterday. With FS2Crew installed, I cant seem to remove the stop latches. Either with FS2Crew running or not, I go through the startup guide listed in the PMDG forum but the latches wont budge. I end up burning up my engines... When I uninstall FS2Crew and JS41, then re-install JS41 the problem goes away and I am able to remove the stop latches. I installed/uninstalled 3 times yesterday to ensure that was the problem and confirmed it every time.Appreciate any help getting this sorted.Thanks,Mike
Hi Mike,FS2Crew doesn't touch any internal start latch logic. FS2Crew does however have its own "start locks released" sound file. Make sure you bring the throttles back one at a time to release the locks after engine start.... I usually do the left one first, then the right one.Also, be sure to follow the FS2Crew tutorial flight, not the PMDG start up guide... That way I know we're on the same page.Best,

Thanks for the quick reply Bryan. I was going through the checklist yesterday when I was having the problems which is why I then tried to remove the latches without engaging FS2CREW - just a quick startup (FS2CREW installed, but not engaged). I just tried to start the engines again without using FS2CREW and came up with same problem. When reversing first the left, than the right throttle the EGT goes critical. As mentioned, when I removed FS2CREW and PMDG and re-installed yesterday I was able to do it. I'm sure its me doing something wrong - just can't figure out what it is!!! Thanks,Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Thanks for the quick reply Bryan. I was going through the checklist yesterday when I was having the problems which is why I then tried to remove the latches without engaging FS2CREW - just a quick startup (FS2CREW installed, but not engaged). I just tried to start the engines again without using FS2CREW and came up with same problem. When reversing first the left, than the right throttle the EGT goes critical. As mentioned, when I removed FS2CREW and PMDG and re-installed yesterday I was able to do it. I'm sure its me doing something wrong - just can't figure out what it is!!! Thanks,Mike
Hi Mike,Please confirm:When you pull back the "left" throttle, the "right" EGT goes up?Are you using any special 3rd party throttle hardware?

Hi Bryan - when I pull the left throttle back first the left egt and torque go critical, same when I then pull the right side, torque goes past redline and egt goes high. If I pull them both back at the same time the aircraft flips over and crashes. Again, I know it must be something I am doing wrong but cant think of it. I did the engine startup exactly as the PMDG forum startup guide indicates (the one in listed in the "important topics"). As mentioned, when I uninstall FS2Crew and the JS41 and just re-install the JS41 this problem goes away. Thanks for the help Bryan.Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Hi Bryan - when I pull the left throttle back first the left egt and torque go critical, same when I then pull the right side, torque goes past redline and egt goes high. If I pull them both back at the same time the aircraft flips over and crashes. Again, I know it must be something I am doing wrong but cant think of it. I did the engine startup exactly as the PMDG forum startup guide indicates (the one in listed in the "important topics"). As mentioned, when I uninstall FS2Crew and the JS41 and just re-install the JS41 this problem goes away. Thanks for the help Bryan.Mike
Hi Mike,I'm afraid I don't know.Are you using hardware for the joystick throttle?Please try this:1. Follow the FS2Crew tutorial to the letter.2. Set your joystick throttle to full idle, and use the Function keys to control revese.

Gday,Reading your posts I'm not sure but you seem to be having problems starting your engines, rather than removing the start locks. Are you sure your props are unfeathered before engaging the start sequence. If you try starting with the props feathered the start locks are not engaged and you will end up wrecking your engines.Cheers,Richard.

Gday,Reading your posts I'm not sure but you seem to be having problems starting your engines, rather than removing the start locks. Are you sure your props are unfeathered before engaging the start sequence. If you try starting with the props feathered the start locks are not engaged and you will end up wrecking your engines.Cheers,Richard.
That's correct, but the fs2crew fo will not let you start the engines unless everything is in the right place with respect to egt, throttle/condition lever position, and prop blade angle.So what does that leave?

you guys might have something there - I've noticed that the props have not been in feather position when loading the aircraft - should they not be in feather? When I un-installed both the js41 and fs2crew and only re-installed the js41 and succesfully removed the latches, the props were in feather when aircraft was loaded. Should I be loading the aircraft in any particular way? I might be getting the state of a previous aircraft when trying to load which is screwing everything up.Too late to play around with it tonight, will look at it tomorrow and post my results. thanks for your help!!!Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

you guys might have something there - I've noticed that the props have not been in feather position when loading the aircraft - should they not be in feather? When I un-installed both the js41 and fs2crew and only re-installed the js41 and succesfully removed the latches, the props were in feather when aircraft was loaded. Should I be loading the aircraft in any particular way? I might be getting the state of a previous aircraft when trying to load which is screwing everything up.Too late to play around with it tonight, will look at it tomorrow and post my results. thanks for your help!!!Mike
I just load the js41 from the main fs menu.Before starting visually check the blade angle to ensure the blades are unfeathered... But as mentioned if you're doing it as per the fs2crew tutorial, the fo will not start the engines if the plane is not properly configured.

Yes the FO will say the prop is not unfeathered if you ask him to do the start, have not tried but if you attempt to do the startup yourself, will he still not allow it?Have noticed that when the JS41 is first installed, the props are correctly on the start locks for the first flight, after that if they are not put on start locks after shutdown correctly, next time you load the props will be in the feathered position, I know I have been caught out on this.Just a thought, would it be possible for the FO to report props feathered during or after his walkaround?Cheers,Richard.

Yes the FO will say the prop is not unfeathered if you ask him to do the start, have not tried but if you attempt to do the startup yourself, will he still not allow it?Have noticed that when the JS41 is first installed, the props are correctly on the start locks for the first flight, after that if they are not put on start locks after shutdown correctly, next time you load the props will be in the feathered position, I know I have been caught out on this.Just a thought, would it be possible for the FO to report props feathered during or after his walkaround?Cheers,Richard.
Hi Richard,If you've opened the FS2Crew Main Panel, you could attempt to start the engines by yourself but that's not going to solve your issue.Feathered: I could have the FO report it, but what's the point? You can easily tell if the props are feathered or unfeathered simply by looking them out the left window.I personally, the beta team and the J41 users base have done hundreds of flights and your issue has not been reported by others, so I'm a bit of a loss.Are you running the FS2Crew Pre-Flight events?Are you commanding the FO to start the engines?Please do this:Run the tutorial flight again to the letter, including running the pre-flight events.Command the FO to start the engines as per the manual.After the engines have started, slowly bring the engines into the reverse range. You should hear the FS2Crew FO say "Start locks removed".Also, I just had another idea..... make sure the Gust Locks is off..... if it's on, you might be confusing the inability to add power with having the start locks still on.... I've made that mistake before when first learning the J41. It's an easy plane to screw up.Cheers,

Just did a quick test without using FS2Crew. I set up for startup including unfeathered the props, and started the engines no problem. I then went to remove the latches and again wasn't able to - and egt, torque rose to the point of starting a fire in the left engine. I then looked out the window and the prop was feathered... Not sure what is going on - made sure when I unfeathered that the props were in proper position for startup. I will now remove FS2Crew and JS41, re-install JS41 without FS2Crew to see if I can reproduce.Thanks,Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Removed fs2crew and js41 and re-installed js41 only as above and again, I was able to remove the stop latches..... Not sure why I am the only one that seems to be having this issue. Question, with FS2Crew installed, am I able to start and fly the JS41 without engaging it (FS2Crew)? Either way, with FS2Crew installed I have not been able to remove the stop latched, either while using the FS2Crew program or by doing everything myself. Not sure what the issue is - appreciate the help.Mike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Hi Mike,The main part of FS2Crew only "loads" when you open the FS2Crew Main Panel. So even with FS2Crew installed so to speak, if you do not click to open the Main Panel, then FS2Crew will not load.Please confirm for me again that you printed out the tutorial flight and followed it to the letter.When you say "Start the left engine", the FS2Crew FO should warn you if anything is out of places (such as EGTs... or the props not being unfeathered.What does the FO say when you say "Start the left engine?"Best,