Sign in to follow this  
Robinnn

2D panel view

Hello,I got a problem when zooming out in the 2D view. While loading the flightsimulator I see this box, never seen it before.dummyi.jpgWhen loading completed, the box disappaers.Then I zoom out my 2d View. Like I always do. But the view is to high. I am looking into the sky, normally you can see the ground/buildings/etc.. too.fs92010062620272719.pngI have this problem with the B744 and the B744F on FS2004OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64Installed on an seperate partition Reinstalling is not my preffered option, maybe somebody knows an other solutionThnks,Robin

Full names in this forum please.Why are you zooming with a 2D panel? The panel is fixed, only the outside is zooming and 0.3 zoom is quite a distorted wide angle view.

Dan Downs KCRP

I always zoom out with every 2D panel. But never had this problem before. Does it something have to do with that box? (Dummy Main view)

Well, somebody helped me and I found a solution.Press Shift+Enter in 2D view and the view goes up.

Be aware when you Zoom Out- that while the Field of View angle will increase from default 45

Yup, but I only use 2D while cruising. While landing, taxi, take-off etc. I use the 3D panel.

Robin,I use the 2D view in all of my flights, as I don't have a very powerful PC.It is never advisable to zoom-in/zoom-out in the 2D panel view, for the reason that your distance perception is altered (thanks January) and leading to pilot disorientation. If you want to adjust the view, use Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Shft-Q to move up and down respectively. This is very important during take-offs and landings.

Robin,I use the 2D view in all of my flights, as I don't have a very powerful PC.It is never advisable to zoom-in/zoom-out in the 2D panel view, for the reason that your distance perception is altered (thanks January) and leading to pilot disorientation. If you want to adjust the view, use Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Shft-Q to move up and down respectively. This is very important during take-offs and landings.
To amplify a bit- Zooming Out (increasing the field of view angle), is the equivalent of looking thru' binoculars the wrong end to. Somewhat similar to the view in a car passenger-side rear view mirror where an object behind is much closer than it appears but the field of view is wider than with a flat mirror.Multi monitors with 2 or 3 views permits a much wider FOV @ zero zoom- but works with 2D views only. If you have simmed with triple unified views, you will appreciate why a real pilot's licence requires full/wide peripheral vision.The attached screenie illustrates the problem of distance perception when zooming out. Alex ReidLeft image .50 zoom, middle image 1.0 zoom, right image .31 zoom. Note the apparent differences in height/distance to the mountain beyond runway end.

I thought zooming out in 2d panel to 0.30 was what your supposed to do. Because when you dont zoom out, when taking off it looks like your going really slow and zooming out looks normal speed.Please replyCarl

I thought zooming out in 2d panel to 0.30 was what your supposed to do. Because when you dont zoom out, when taking off it looks like your going really slow and zooming out looks normal speed.Please replyCarl
Carl- I think most simmers would agree that the simulator feel of speed is most accurate at 1.0 Zoom. Zooming out increases the apparent distance to the end of the runway and since the Simulator (time) Rate remains at 1.0, the apparent speed seems to increase accordingly. In your car, can you imagine driving while looking through binoculars the wrong way around? That is effectively what you see when Zooming Out in FS.Zoom Out is best when you need to (temorarily) increase your field of view. Here is another way to do that- and I can assure you that the runway edges whizzing past the limits of your peripheral vision really do make you feel you are moving pretty fast! Especially helpful in judging not only speed but final height above runway, yaw and drift when landing.It's what we see out of the corners of our eyes that gives the sense of speed- whether runway edges or fence posts at the side of the highway.Alex ReidDuluth R27 @ 1.0 Zoom - Ready for TO.

Guest raikky

i alwasy use 0.3 zoom. admit distant objects and speed look abit crazy but its what im used to. i used this because at 1.0 i just cant see anything. when taxiing mainly and take off i cant see a right lot when i climb.

i alwasy use 0.3 zoom. admit distant objects and speed look abit crazy but its what im used to. i used this because at 1.0 i just cant see anything. when taxiing mainly and take off i cant see a right lot when i climb.
raikky- By all means, use Zoom Out to see "where to go" or detect objects that may not be visble- off to the side. But recognize that judging distance, speed, rate of descent and height above runway may be affected and in error. Here is a screenshot of PMDG 747 (on the asphalt- ready for TO) using a triple wide, 146