Sign in to follow this  
Oldog

Acceleration Problem

I was experiencing freezes while running FSX and FS Acceleration. I uninstalled all. I attempted a squeaky clean reinstall. FSX would run fine. When I re-installed Acceleration I was never asked for the Product Key. I know now that this is not untypical of this expansion pack. I soon noted that the Accel. aircraft had not been installed, however SP1 and SP2 were installed. When I ran FSX I had similar freezes as before. I uninstalled and re-installed using the registry fix. Each time I was able to enter the Product Key. Still had the same freezes. I have done this three times. Same thing each time. I am hearing impaired which rules out a MS Tech on the phone. (I doubt that they would know the fix. This evidently is a fairly common problem so why not a fix?) The online MS trouble help is a joke. Does anyone have a solution to this?Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo @ 4.00GHzNoctua NH-U12P CoolerASUS P5Q ProOCZ Reaper 2X2GB DDR2 800 (PC 6400)EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB WD 250GB GB SATA IICorsair CMPSU 550WWindows XP homeI might add that I do not have cooling problems and Accel. does the same on the default as it does on the overclock.

AV sounds a possible culprit.Odd that you have SP1/2 showing. You don't need either if you install Acc. My install (FSX then Acc, nothing else SP-wise) just shows "Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration" - no reference to SPs.Sorry to say it, but I suspect you need a reformat and reinstall from scratch. I've heard others say that FSX doesn't like un/re-installs. Time to go back to basics, and start with a clean system? Harsh, I know, but it's worked for me more than once, in the past, and it does help you concentrate your mind on whether you really need all the crap you have.Also, if you're bottoming the system, Win 7, if you can afford it, would be a good upgrade, if funds permit. I was an early Vista convert, but understood those who stuck with XP; under W7, there really is no choice to be made, W7 is just a different class.Probably not welcome advice, I appreciate! Good luck otherwise.

Paul Skol

AV sounds a possible culprit.Odd that you have SP1/2 showing. You don't need either if you install Acc. My install (FSX then Acc, nothing else SP-wise) just shows "Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration" - no reference to SPs.Sorry to say it, but I suspect you need a reformat and reinstall from scratch. I've heard others say that FSX doesn't like un/re-installs. Time to go back to basics, and start with a clean system? Harsh, I know, but it's worked for me more than once, in the past, and it does help you concentrate your mind on whether you really need all the crap you have.Also, if you're bottoming the system, Win 7, if you can afford it, would be a good upgrade, if funds permit. I was an early Vista convert, but understood those who stuck with XP; under W7, there really is no choice to be made, W7 is just a different class.Probably not welcome advice, I appreciate! Good luck otherwise.
Well in Add/Remove it shows MS FSX + SP1 &SP2 but it has also shown MS FSX + Acceleration. FSX is installed in a separate partition on my HHD. I was considering buying a WD Raptor SSD and installing it. Then uninstall everything in my F Drive and then clean installing FSX and Peripherals into the SSD. I know that it might run into more technical knowledge than I have, as I understand there can be some problems in setting up a new SSD. What do you think of that?. Right now Win 7 is a little out of reach.

If you do a reinstall....I read somewhere that after you install the base FSX start it up and let it build the databases. Then go back and install FSX acceleration.

O did all of that. As far as I know, everything was done by the book.