Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

DirectX - update required?

HiI read somewhere that the updates in directX are usually to fix bugs and if your system is working, leave it as it is.My directX version dates for 2007-2008.I recently upgraded my graphic card (8800GTS-320Mb -> GTS 250 1Gb) with updated NVidia drivers and I wanted to know if I would see an improvement in updating DirectX as well?My system is DualCore+4Gb RAM on XP 32bits, flying FS9.ThanksGhiom

Keep in mind that DirectX covers a bunch of different stuff, and is even more important in Win 7 where directShow is so important. Updates may or may not have a particular effect especially in a Win XP system.Part of DirectX is Direct3d. From what I've seen from looking at the updates, new direct3d9 and direct3d10 dlls are versioned, so that any specific app can call a specific version. When you install FSX and any sp, it will also check to see that the dll versions it needs are installed and if not, will do so from the install disk or sp file. So don't expect a change in direct3d9 for FS when updating DirectX.When I run FSX sp2 on my Win 7 64 system, this is what it loads:d3d10,dlld3d10_1.dlld3d10_1core.dlld3d10core.dlld3d11.dlld3d8thk.dlld3d9.dllD3DCompiler_34.dlld3dx10_34.dlld3dx9_34.dllDDRAW.dlldinput.dllDINPUT8.dllDSOUND.dllXInput9_1_0.dllAs near as I can tell on my system, the base files are all from the Win 7 RTM and the revised files are from 5/16/2007, even though I have the Feb 10 DirectX update installed.scott s..