Sign in to follow this  

Mesh Improvement, TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000

For those of you frustrated that COF's mesh interpretation (particularly 38m) isn't as detailed as FS2002, I have finally found that the setting of TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000 (bumped up from 100.000000) actually brings back some (but unfortunately not all) of the detail that was seen in FS2002.After playing with every other number in the TERRAIN section of fs9.cfg, I finally tried this value as a last resort. This appears to be the only value in this section that can be set above 100 and still make a difference. Also, any value between 100 and 199 doesn't seem to make any difference, and any value over 200 doesn't improve the detail any further. So 200 seems to be the sweet spot. I didn't notice any performance hit, and I

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Will try it thanks. Im running some 38m mesh. Not sure how that will perform. I may be losing it but I always thought the default_radius was normally the larger number of the the two entries because when I would look at them they always seemed backwards.ThanksBob G

Hi Carlyle,Thanks for the info, I'll try it.I also like mountain flying and have found some excellent terrainmesh for Alaska, Switzerland, and the French Alpes as well as other areas. Have you tried Ed Denny's (freeware) Alaska mesh? I believe it has about 15 files to download, and it's well worth the effort. I've found that all of the mesh I have from FS2002 works well in FS9.Howard

Howard,I've been using the FSGenesis 75m Alaska and 38m United States in addition to some free mesh for Europe. It's great stuff! All my mesh works fine as well, but in the really high-detailed rugged terrain, COF "shaves off" some of my nice, little peaks from a distance...but I'm getting used to it. :) Best,Carlyle------------------P4 3GHz 800 FSB HTASUS P4C800 Deluxe1GB DDR400128MB ATI 9800 Pro