Sign in to follow this  
Tulpenmuster

KSEA - strange objects next to the runway

Hello there!This is my first post. Indeed it's the first post ever, for I've never been a forum member before. But now there's the need to ask for your help, as you' ll read later on.But at first I want to introduce myself. My name is Jens, I'm from Germany - and consequently I want to apologize for possible mistakes concerning grammar and vocabulary (as AE is not my native language ... and times of school are long ago). Since more than a decade I'm interested in flight simulations. 2005 was my personal start in the beloved FS2004. A big, big love.I'd be very glad, if you could give me an explanation for a strange change in my default airport scenery of KSEA Seattle Tacoma. As I started the default flight (myflt) recently, I noticed two unwelcome objects next to the runway: on the right there's an monstrous "arrow" rammed down in the ground, grey (without any texture) an nearly looking like a great tower. On the left theres the stoical face of a "moai" (one of those monolithic human figures carved from rock on the Easter Island). That's it. I really want to get rid of those objects. But I simply don't know how. :( I should give you more information: In order to get rid of some trees on the apron of an addon-airport in France, I recently searched for a possibility to make an exclude-file. Therefore I tried to install some tools for scenery design (BGLXML 1.8, SBUILDER, ObPlacer 0.40) - without success. I never get things started (every time there si the need for components or files, my system doesn't supply). Maybe those objects were evoked by those unsuccesful installations?! Maybe it's a hack, meant as a joke (well, I'm not laughing at all)?!I don't know. I hope you do.Thanks in advance and greetings to all friends of our FS2004, wherever you are!Jens

Did you install any recently? If so, you may have a problem with them that are causing the problems you are relating to. Uncheck them in the scenery library, but do not delete them and see if the problem goes away, if not, uncheck all of them and see if the problem is still there. Add a few back at a time until the problem comes back. This will help narrow down which one is causing the problem. Once you find which one is causing the problem, you can delete it or only reenable it when you wish to use it and are not going to KSEA.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

Guest Arniepie

Hello Jens,

As I started the default flight (myflt) recently, I noticed two unwelcome objects next to the runway: on the right there's an monstrous "arrow" rammed down in the ground, grey (without any texture) an nearly looking like a great tower. On the left theres the stoical face of a "moai" (one of those monolithic human figures carved from rock on the Easter Island). That's it. I really want to get rid of those objects. But I simply don't know how
This is not an unknown problem in MSFS. 3 things come to mind. -1st; for the Easter Island head, this could be because you installed some scenery for Easter island IIRC made by Boris Forero. -2nd; the untextured tower at RWY 34L is actually the result of addon Scenery for a Swedish airport, I don't recall which one but I remember it was situated in North Sweden. -3rd; there is also a known bug in the KMSP (Minneapolis/StPaul) Blueprint simulations scenery , a fix is posted on the support side of their website.http://www.blueprintsimulations.com/BluePrint_Downloads.htmlEdit: ESNS is the airport I was talking about, the problem is in this file posted on AVSIM download area ---> esns_scenery_v1.0_216480.zip

Firstly, thanks to all of you for your kind reply!Yes, I DID install some new sceneries in the last week. Roundabout 20 airports in Sweden.I'll follow your advice and uncheck the new sceneries in the library.@Arnipie: Your hint at ESNS sounds really interesting, for I actually installed Skelleftea (ESNS).Easter Island IIRC and KMSP are unkonwn to me.@John: Nice sculpture made of buildings. But the placement of the statue and the "big upside down arrow" in my case does not seem to be so randomly. Seems that somebody placed those objects accurately. But who knows?I'll let you know about my insights.Thanks again!Jens

A great big arrow AND a MOAI.Now that's interesting.Easter island... a warning to us all about greed,the blind consumption of finite resources,civil war and extinction.And on that cheerful note a screen shot would be nice.Andy :(

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

@John: Nice sculpture made of buildings. But the placement of the statue and the "big upside down arrow" in my case does not seem to be so randomly. Seems that somebody placed those objects accurately. But who knows?
I think you will find that those unexpected objects should actually be something else, and much smaller of course. Maybe little buildings or lights.What seems to happen, and I am no expert but am repeating (badly) what I have seen elsewhere many moons ago, is that every scenery library object should have a unique identity number. When creating scenery libraries, the designers allocate numbers to them on a random basis. But as the years go by, these random numbers occasionally repeat and this is why FS occasionally displays the wrong object.I've experienced this in Greece and Finland, with enormous passenger gates in place of sections of fence. It looked awfully funny, but it took a lot of tracking down.The solution, when you have pinned down the culprit bgl, is to go back to the developer and they can easily regenerate the library with new random numbers.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Firstly, thanks to all of you for your kind reply!Yes, I DID install some new sceneries in the last week. Roundabout 20 airports in Sweden.I'll follow your advice and uncheck the new sceneries in the library.@Arnipie: Your hint at ESNS sounds really interesting, for I actually installed Skelleftea (ESNS).Easter Island IIRC and KMSP are unkonwn to me.@John: Nice sculpture made of buildings. But the placement of the statue and the "big upside down arrow" in my case does not seem to be so randomly. Seems that somebody placed those objects accurately. But who knows?I'll let you know about my insights.Thanks again!Jens
Hi Jens,I have had a very similar problem in the past and the cause was ESNS (Skelleftea). More recently I posted on Avsim after I found a line of trees across the runway in KSEA and a huge taxiway light in the same position and the cause was the new Mumbai freeware scenery (VABB)! I am not sure why these things appear in this spot though!Bill

I have had a very similar problem in the past and the cause was ESNS (Skelleftea). More recently I posted on Avsim after I found a line of trees across the runway in KSEA and a huge taxiway light in the same position and the cause was the new Mumbai freeware scenery (VABB)! I am not sure why these things appear in this spot though!
Bill, if you are referring to the discussion at http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=289110 I explained there (as I have here) why I think these objects appear. John

Thanks again, John!I'll do my best. Btw, your homepage - i have to admit that I never noticed it before - is a real treasure box.Your knowledge about fault finding in Fs2004 seems to be as distinctive as your penchant concerning exotic airport sceneries. :( Great work. And appreciated help for people like me.Thanks!Best regardsJens

Your knowledge about fault finding in Fs2004 seems to be as distinctive as your penchant concerning exotic airport sceneries. :(
You flatter me . . . slight overstatement I think - it is just a result of an exploratory and investigative mind and a desire to put the findings down in some sort of order.. . . and now I read (at http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=289110 ) VOMM scenery does it too. Eek!John