Sign in to follow this  

FS Sickday

Hi all.After many moons of keeping all my posts of a technical nature, I thought it was time to talk of something other than FS2004 performance!At the age of 29, I still find it irresistible to take the odd "FS Sickie", especially when there is a new version of FS or a particularly good addon (the release of the Dreamfleet 734 was another time of note!!).For me, today has been one of those days of skiving, as we call it in the UK, having finally got FS2004 running reasonably well..Now, does anyone else "Swing the FS lead", "Duvet day 2004" or "Play FS Truant" or whatever you would care to call it in your neck of the woods? Come on now - own up (or is it just me)!CheersRottenlungs

If your employer pays your salary whilst you take the odd "FS Sickie" as you put it then I think this sort of behaviour is utterly dishonest - not only towards your employer but also your hard working colleagues.If you are really proud of what you have written then tell us who you work for so that we can forward your post to them.David

No. I'm self-employed so the only person I'd be cheating is myself. Or maybe those clients that I'd promised something to, which would make me feel guilty.Your a lucky man if you can take additional time off work AND get paid for it. Try working for yourself one day. It may give you a different perspective. Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

HelloI feel suitably chastened by Vector, and suitably restored by the Ancient Brit`s sypmathetic response.To be honest its a rare thing, like I said the last time I succumbed to temptation was back in 2001 when the Dreamfleet 737 came out, maybe my thread was prompted by a slight pang of guilt!What a great quote - 'He has one of those terribly weak natures that are not susceptible to influence.'Oscar Wilde.CheersLungsIncicdentally, I don't work for myself but I do put in a fair bit of unpaid additional effort when needed so it cuts both ways..

work is the least important thing in the entire world. employers steal your life, i wholeheartedly endorse anything that lets people steal a little bit of it back again.

>work is the least important thing in the entire world.>employers steal your life, i wholeheartedly endorse anything>that lets people steal a little bit of it back again.Very well said :-)I understand Gavin's point but I hope Vector's post was t-i-c, otherwise he must be management :-)

Guest daveg4otu

I'll go along with Gavin as I am also self- employed----- BUT--- I'll also admit to finishing (very) early on the Friday that FS9 came thru the letter box.CheersDave

Guest wathomas777

Does everyone's behavior have to be judged by someone who is on the self-proclaimed moral police. For you moral policemen, have you not read or have you decided to ignore Matthew 7:1-5"Stop judging so that you will not be judged. Otherwise, you will be judge by THE SAME STANDARD you use to judge others. The standards you use for others will be applied to you. So why do you see the piece of sawdust in another's eye and not notice the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say, "Brother, let me take that piece of sawdust from your eye, when you have a beam in your own eye?". You Hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, then you will see clearly to remove the peice of sawdust from anothers eye".Oh, and since I feel we all sufficiently live in houses made of glass, perhaps we should be more careful when throwing stones.....Just a thought.

Guest N73GX

Im allways awed at scripture but being a manager myself I have to say the best excuse for someone calling in would be: that one guy that called in and said he was to drunk to come in. He was honest and sincere. he didnt get paid but he has is own punishment that he created him self. I do beleave that people do need to take a break once and awhile but as long as you dont hurt the ones closest to you (money wise that is). All points here are correct here but I do have one thing to say that is up most important"The text you read now convys no feeling, emotion or depth."with out those stated how can you make heads or tails on how it is said?Thanks

Guest wathomas777

Agree with you 100%. I just tire of people who jump to judgement of others without knowing the facts.In my company, Sick Leave was also abused, not only by the employee, but the employer. Since Sick Leave "expired", after a certain time, people were caught in a use it or lose it scenario. Our company did away with sick leave and now all absenses are considered paid time off.So instead of two weeks vacation, and 1 week "sick leave", we get 3 weeks of simple paid time off (PTO). If someone gets sick and has no PTO, then it's unpaid. Simple. So now the company allows the employees to manage their time off as they see fit.However, I still consider taking a day off, taking a "sick day". So If it had been ME posting about a FS Sickie, (which, I can't because I don't have the PTO left (grin)), and someone had harshly judged my behavior, then I would have felt slanted because that person is making a snap judgement without bothering to even check or investigate the facts. Hence, the post from Matthew.I feel that most of us are adults here, or at least old enough not to require a Nanny looking over our shoulder.

Hm .... interesting. Let's see now ....Christ said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Because of Original Sin we are all sinful and therefore should not cast any stones. Therefore we should keep quiet. But for evil to triumph means only that good men do nothing. And presumably say nothing.I feel law and order breaking down around me and Armageddon striking at the door.David

Guest goon

I take a few sickdays a year, and it is far from the end of the world for my employer or my colleagues. Sometimes other things are more important than turning in to work. And yes, this does include Flight Sim. No big deal.....

Who doesn't play hookie (USA) now and then. Not that I have taken many but maybe once a year I will take a vacation day or a sick day that the company pays for to play FS or do something outside. It is in my benefits as an employee, so there is nothing dishonest about using your benefits. I don't know what other countries are like, but here in the states, your employer gives you sick and vacation time that you can use at your leasure. All of you playing hookie today or tomarrow... don't feel bad about it, because it is part of your benefit package to use the time your company gives you. Granted if you are paid by the hour, you are not getting paid today.

Guest wathomas777

I know this is getting on the verge of irrelevance, so I'll mention FS2004. I love it.Now Just for you David,It's amazing how "Christians" are so eager to take up the job that God doesn't want us to do, but so poor at doing the job he wants us to.God holds the power to judge. Why? Because only GOD can change a man's heart. Thus, when he judges a man, he bases that on his heart and his relationship with God.Christians are commissioned to do three things. Love God, Spread the Good News of the Gospel, and Love your Neighbor as yourself. All 4 gospels reflect this teaching.If Christians stuck to Loving God, Spreading the Good News. (not "repent or die", but "Christ died for you and God loves you") AND loving your neighbor as you love yourself, we would reflect God's love to our neighbor and allow GOD to change the man's behaviour.But too many of us "Christians" want to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner, and then use imperfect standards, and what's worse, we judge a man when we ourselves our unable to change our own hearts let alone his. Kind of like asking a quadraplegic to walk and then condemning him when he can't.Since Only GOD can change a Man's heart, then Only GOD can judge the man. We are asked to reflect God's love to provide God the OPPORTUNITY for change. We are not asked to be God and pass judgement.Sermon over. Cheers.