Sign in to follow this  
Guest WolfgangLiehr

[JS41] speed control

Guest WolfgangLiehr

Hi,is there a 'rule-of-thumb' that can help to calculate the right moment to reduce speed while approaching?In the tutorial on page 86 is a good explanation for the right point to start the descent, but where/when do I have to reduce speed from 240kt to 190kt (in general)?Thanks for help.Wolfgang Liehr

You should start to reduce the speed about 20miles from airport. It gives You time to prepare for landing and to get best position. Of course, You can also approach at 200kts to FAF, adequate procedure is described in AOM.Cheers.rolleyes.gif

Wolfgang-Take a look at the post I pinned to the top of this forum a few days ago. That might give you some insight.For those who are interested: When I first upgraded to Captain on this airplane, I had been flying the BAe JS3101. While these airplanes were similar in some way- one area where they differed dramatically was in the slow-down.The JS3100 airplane would come down like an elevator if you pulled the power to idle. Slowing down was never a problem... EVER.Shortly after passing my "Fed-Ride" (another very funny story for another post) I was approached by a good friend and former flight instructor who was a more senior captain on the JS4100. Ray had flown with me briefly as I prepared for my multi-ride years before- and he leaned on the counter next to the flight planning station and asked me how I was enjoying the airplane.After I'd finished babbling (new captain babble... it's a known side effect...) about how much I loved the airplane he got a very serious look on his face and leaned in as if he was about to tell me a secret."Look," he said. "This thing doesn't slow down like a J31... Just promise me this one thing... If it doesn't look good, don't try to save it. Put the power in, and go around. If it gets high, and it gets fast, it won't work... So don't hang around hoping it'll change... It won't."There were a few times when the J41 proved that Ray's advice was sage. A few months later I commanded a G/A that to this day, I am sure would have resulted in an exciting landing had we stuck with the approach. Fortunately- I have never had to lose sleep over it. (Thanks, Ray!)I would later fly with a First officer who had been downgraded from Captain after taking one of our J41's over the end of a runway... All the signs were there...So- in short- this airplane can be a challenge on the slowdown.... As they say, it is the nature of the beast.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com