Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Navigation-vor help

This may be a trip down memory lane for some of the old timers.I started out with FS4, before GPS was an every day thing. Just moved from Seattle to LA, and was able to find my my way up and down the coast, but LA to Vegas was a challenge, and LA to Phoenex was impossible. I went to a pilot store at John Wayne, asked for help, and the guy in the store and a shopping pilot gave me a half hour of info that was way over my head, a couple of free old charts, and sold me a couple of books on navigation. I also ordered a set of maps from I think Sublogic. Anyone remember those? I could finally plot a course from vor to vor and go anywhere I wanted. With the maps and the ruler tools that came with them, I could even scan frequencies for a couple of vor's, find what the radial to them was, and figure out where I was on the maps. When flight sim grew up and added gps, technology made me lazy.I was playing with fight planner in 2004, and loaded a vor route. The kneeboard shows all the vor's and freq's. And the gps routes to each one in order.I wanted to go back to the old days, and refresh my skills, so to speak. No gps. Setting the autopilot to fly to first vor was no problem. When you reach the first vor, the next one is out of range. In fs4 I remember setting a "from" radial, that would fly from that vor on a radial towards the next one, until it came into range, then setting a "to" for it, and so on. I cant find a working "from" option in 2004. If I select from in the autopilot, it turns on approach, and the plane turns around and heads back to the vor I just passed. I can accomplish what I need by setting the heading bug until I start receiving the next vor. BUT..Am I missing something? Cant you fly on a "from" vor with the autopilot? Is it, or was it, avail on real planes, or did fs4 add something that didnt really exist?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm not near my simming computer but I don't recall having any problems with VOR navigation in either FS2002 or COF2004.Are you familiar with this website? [a href=http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm] Flight Simulator Navigation [/a]

I think all you need to do Larry is set the reciprocal course when flying to the VOR as all radials are *from* the VOR.So lets say you are flying away from a VOR on radial 270, set this as the course. As you near the 'out of range' point set the heading to 270 degrees (assuming no wind) and switch to hdg mode in the A/P.Tune into the second VOR and set the course to 90 degrees because you will be flying into the VOR on the 90 degree radial, the opposite of 270 degrees. Once the second VOR is in range switch back to NAV mode.HTH

Vulcan- Yeah, thats what I've been doing, using heading instead of nav. I've been finding even when approaching a vor, and going to nav, the auto pilot swings way left and right of the course several times. Using heading forces me to think and compensate for wind, which was my reason for not using the gps in the first place. I've dozed off a few times flying strictly gps, nothing to do but watch scenery and listen for atc.WorkingsStiff, what a cool site. Thought at first it would more than I need and too technical, but it's very well done, and has a lot of history that I find facinating. I gave the address to a few friends and got the same feedback from them. You should do a post (or repost) with the link.

There are some excellent navaid tutorials on the aviation link at www.stoenworks.com.