Sign in to follow this  
Frank Tien

propeller setting before landing

Hi,According to the checklist, before touch down, we set RPM to 2050---except missed approach, 2550.Why not set 2550 or "the hightest" before touch down, like many other propeller aircrafts do? Thank you.Best Regards,tcc0928

tc -If you are still visiting this forum, here's my two cents:I suspect a typographical error. 2050 RPM is the cruise setting so it would make sense to set rpm to 2550 on final so that you're ready in the event of a go around.I'm no 'real' pilot, but that's what I do in the MAAM :)

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

tc -If you are still visiting this forum, here's my two cents:I suspect a typographical error. 2050 RPM is the cruise setting so it would make sense to set rpm to 2550 on final so that you're ready in the event of a go around.I'm no 'real' pilot, but that's what I do in the MAAM :)
This is also the settings we use for our museums DC-3, and both the B-25s. Alot of large twin engine aircraft use this or simular for landing.....We have practiced bringing the plane in short and found that if you come in high and short, you can drop the nose to gain some speed and distance on final....we have been working on the numbers for the glide slope of the planes. to find the bare minimum we can use.... The plane falls short at about 70, a drop of the nose to increase lower altitude, and bring speed up.... We have also done a dead stick with the Mitchell....Havent tried it with the DC-3 being a large tail dragger....