Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

What modeling program?

I agree this would be the best option. This program is free, very powerful, and is constantly improved. The new version has completely redesigned UI, so it's much easier to use for beginners too.But of course it's not gonna happen. We will just get the exporters for whatever program Microsoft uses to make Flight, something from Autodesk I guess :(
Commercial developers don't like applications that are constantly improved. They use applications that have the features they need and are reliable and stable.

(have not tried Blender but am wary of other *supposedly* good modelling packages since having to use Maya a couple of years back, but that's just my opinion).
Until you know a new software well enough to get the results you want you're going to hate it :)Once it’s second nature you’ll start to appreciate it.For work I’ve used Softimage-XSI(1yr) 3DSmax(4yrs) and Maya(8yrs), and they are all excellent.And yes, Maya is an excellent modeling program too.

Until you know a new software well enough to get the results you want you're going to hate it :)Once it’s second nature you’ll start to appreciate it.For work I’ve used Softimage-XSI(1yr) 3DSmax(4yrs) and Maya(8yrs), and they are all excellent.And yes, Maya is an excellent modeling program too.
Well I used Maya for three years and IMO it didn't stand up to Max for modelling at all. I hear it's much better now, but then that's from guys who liked it to begin with...As I say, it's just my opinion.

Well I used Maya for three years and IMO it didn't stand up to Max for modelling at all. I hear it's much better now, but then that's from guys who liked it to begin with...As I say, it's just my opinion.
:)Three years is plenty of time to make a solid opinion...so fair enough.It’s one of those Cummins vs. Caterpillar discussions.For work I'm happy to use either Max or Maya....though I prefer Maya in a way.I have lunch with some folks that won’t rest until everyone accepts XSI is best LOL.gif

I have a working knowledge of 3dsmax/Gmax, and Blender. I created The Ampjet for FS2002 in Gmax and also a few scenery projects. I was then given an outdated copy of 3dsmax and ultimately got into Blender. I can tell you that compared to Blender, Gmax/3dsmax are clumsy and underpowered. Once you get into Blender you can really see that it is unbelievably powerful, not only for a free, open source program, but for any program. Plus there are many more add-ons,modules,and scripts for it than for Gmax/3dsmax. Also it's much easier to learn due to the fact that tutorials, in particular video tutorials, are at around a 20/1 ratio in favor of Blender. It is updated almost on a monthly basis and has a following that is on par with MSFS. So it seems to me that Blender and FS Next would go hand in hand. Of course this is all just my opinion but it is fact based. Thanks for the indulgence .Below are some of my Blender creations from awhile back. They aren't that great but they will show you what blender is capable of.box_5.jpgrobosig.gift10full.jpgmars1.jpgcrazy1.jpgnacelle_1.jpg2-2.jpg

They need to select a format which can be produced WITHOUT a > $2,500 professional product. I'm not going to pirate a product, but I want to continue to avail myself of the opportunity to generate content. User-generated content became the hallmark of FS in the last decade.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.