Sign in to follow this  
Chip1

Graphics Problem with GTX-480 and i7-890X

You are childish, vgbaron.It would take you five minutes to see the difference Fiber Time Fraction can make in combination with the other tweaks. Just pop in my changes, first with Fiber Time Fraction =0, then with =0.33. It will take you 5 minutes. But, nah - could change your opinion, so better not do it (better "search" than doing empiric research *g*).And THIS point of yours is as wrong as the others you made. I explained every single of my changes in the posting I made, and I explained how they work together. You didn't bring a single factual argument that counters what those people that build FSX machines for 12.000 bucks found out (you wouldn't believe me either that 1666MHz RAM is a waste of money even with the fastest CPU's nowadays and doesn't bring you a single frame more). Do you really think I would have applied and KEPT these tweaks if they wouldn't have solved my problem with my Nvidia card once and for all? They did - and my problems looked EXACTLY like the screenshots posted here, even worse in some cases. I do not suggest that they solve all problems with FSX on all computers (they are completely useless for ATI's, for example, because of their different architecture), but for NVidias, they are proven to work on many systems. Period.What's so ridiculous is that just for giving yourself thefeeling to be the "more clever guy", you try to hinder someone to try out something that has been proven to work, is easily reversible if it doesn't in his situation and has no ill effects whatsoever. It's all about your ego, right?Ok, enough time wasted, no more postings from me here (yes, you may have the "last word", if this helps you) - I made my suggestions, the rest is up to the original poster, not to you or me.

Darem - pardon me but are you really that stupid? I'm not asking you to take MY word for it - the link I posted is from the DEVELOPER - the guy who wrote the code - Adam Szofran - he says and I quote - "Please emphasize the pointlessness of tweaking this value on multi-core machines."It DOES NOTHING on multicore systems, nada, zip, nothing. The fact that you see someting in your "empirical" research means that something else is happening.I guess you wouldn't believe it if Bill Gates himself told you it doesn't work.Enough of this - let the OP do what he wishes - at least what you posted can't do any harm. Hopefully you'll continue that practice as there are "some" tweaks that when applied in the wrong manner "can" cause harm. But you probably don't care - if it works for you it must be gospel.I can see that you not only have missed my point entirely but you can't even accept a documented fact from the developer.Whatever - and finally - I guarantee that I've tried and researched all those tweaks long before you even knew about them - some are nothing but placebos - they used to work but were disabled later on by Aces.Go ahead - have the last word or not as you choose.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Try these tweaks to your fsx.cfg:[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=62[bufferpools]Usepools=0Poolsize=85000000Bufferpools: Should Usepools=0 still give you strange glitches, make it =1, it will then use the second value as well.At the end of the DISPLAY section, have these lines (replace existing if they are double)TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=24TextureMaxLoad=15WideViewAspect=TrueRUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.30RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.30RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.33RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.30TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 If you have FAST RAM working synchronous with the CPU, you may try 40 later, but for now, leave it as it is.WideViewAspect= True only with widescreen monitors, =FALSE with 4:3 aspect ratios.Framerate Limit should be as it is here. At least on my system :-)RUNWAY_LIGHTS are purely cosmetical. I love them when they aren't blurry.First line in [Main] should beFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.05This can be raised up to 0.33 if needed, but again, leave it as it is for now. Only exception is if you fly over a lot of photoscenery - then 0.05 will give you extreme blurriesFirst lines in [GRAPHICS]STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024HIGHMEMFIX=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024No changing of that. Forget Texture_Max_Load at 4096, it just interferes with what is possible.Also, do NOT set LOD Radius higher than 4.5. It stresses RAM with complex planes to an extent that crashes FSX.And finally, first line in [sCENERY]MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2
Hello Darem,Thanks for all of the information. Hey, I have nothing to loose by trying anything after bashing my head against a wall playing with memory and everything else. I think it has something to do with the graphics memory when it is first being loaded. The video you see is created by loading a saved flight on final approach and that is when the problem is the most obvious. If I start up at any airport and just hit F12 and slew to a high altitude and back and take off from the airport no "flashes" are visible at all. The other method is to slew around the area, at first there are the "flashes" and then they stop and do not return and flying is perfect. At least it is a repeatable fix and it must mean the loading of memory or something else that is not so obvious. I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since it was first created. I had a Radio Shack TRS_80 with a 1.78 MHz clock and 16 KB of RAM. Flight Simulator was very slow. I have to admit FSX is amazing but getting it working perfectly really is a big job. I'm almost there.I have tried some of the FSX.CFG fixes above over the past month but not every one mentioned. It can't hurt to experiment. I'll back up the CFG file and play around. It would be nice not to have to slew into space and back before using FSX. There is no problem at all on FS9 or any other program. All graphics and memory tests are positive. I also have the latest graphics drivers which helped slightly. I've used Nicks profiles and they work well.This is the youtube video I mentioned, I forgot that I put it on another forum and not here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mVzFlceW_IThanks to everyone for all of your help.Aloha,Chip

Yeah, I know that too well :-) - The flashes are textures not loaded/displayed fast enough. This happens when FSX switches to higher detailed textures. Your hickups are very short, I have seen much longer ones on my system. They are annoying. I wish you good luck eliminating those. But it seems to me that your setup is 99% close to NOT displaying them :-).Please let us know the outcome of this. I am very interested in your results.

Yeah, I know that too well :-) - The flashes are textures not loaded/displayed fast enough. This happens when FSX switches to higher detailed textures. Your hickups are very short, I have seen much longer ones on my system. They are annoying. I wish you good luck eliminating those. But it seems to me that your setup is 99% close to NOT displaying them :-).Please let us know the outcome of this. I am very interested in your results.
Last I heard is that those flashes were from too high of a memory OC.  They sure look familiar.  Graphics ram corruption.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest morpheous

Darem,I just wanted to say thank you for your post, I updated my .cfg file with the tweaks you suggested and my system has never run better, stays locked at around 23-24 fps and smooth with minimal flashes, I don't know exactly how it all works but I don't care, it works!I do find the runway lights a little on the small size though, if I wanted to make them lets say 50% larger what values would I change?thanksJim

Darem,I just wanted to say thank you for your post, I updated my .cfg file with the tweaks you suggested and my system has never run better, stays locked at around 23-24 fps and smooth with minimal flashes, I don't know exactly how it all works but I don't care, it works!I do find the runway lights a little on the small size though, if I wanted to make them lets say 50% larger what values would I change?thanksJim
These:RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.30RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.30RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.33RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.30Double the values to 0.60 and 0.66 - that should do the trick.I am happy that the settings were beneficial to you. Thanks for the feedback.