Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Ram question between latency's DDR3 3x2gb

I currently run CL8 1600 mhz ddr3 triple channel 6gb ram and would like to know if CL6 is way better and worth the upgrade? My i7 is being overclocked with the rams.FOr use of FSX mainly!

Define "way better" :blink: Will it be an improvement? Sure, its better ram than what you have. Will it be 20fps? Mostly likely not but it might only be 3 fps faster but noticably smoother. Remember this: Your computer will only be as fast as the slowest part. So yes, it will help but in the end its entirely up to you and what your seeking. I've heard rumors and conjecture that faster ram will allow higher/more stable cpu overclocks but I think there's too much variability between systems to be definitive in that. In my opinion, for FSX get the best/fastest your system will allow. But thats how I roll. B)

By fastest do you mean mem speed in MHz or latency because I can go upto 2000mhz but the best latency is 8 as for 1600 cl6 may run equivalent to 2000 to cl8, so hmmm is speed really better?

Memory speed is way overated. Even jumping from DDR2 to DDR3 won't show much benefit (in AMD platforms with AM3 CPU's performance is almost the the same on AM2+ and AM3 boards)Try downclocking your ram, set the highest latencies you can too and then test it yourself in FSX

By fastest do you mean mem speed in MHz or latency because I can go upto 2000mhz but the best latency is 8 as for 1600 cl6 may run equivalent to 2000 to cl8, so hmmm is speed really better?

I'll quote NickN:
Here is a list of MAX memory timing per speed a user should strive for.. lower than posted is better and there are memory product out there that run lower timing than posted.. they are typically expensive and that is what you pay for DDR2 800 4-4-4 DDR2 1066 5-5-5 DDR3 1333 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation) DDR3 1600 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) DDR3 1800/1866 8-8-8 (1st or 2nd Generation) DDR3 2000 (and up) 9-9-9 (1st or 2nd Generation) That being said here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest performance with respect to CPU/Memory communication DDR2 800 3-3-3 DDR2 1066 4-4-4 DDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation) DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation) DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) Note: 1800/1866 is really useless compared to 1600 with respect to the right memory timing. If a user wishes to run very high memory speed, opt for 2000 with tighter timing especially running i7. 1st generation DDR3 has issues with the northbridge running large amounts of memory (2x2GB or more). i7 D0 stepping processors and the x58 chipset do not have those issues but still typically requires a higher QPI/DRAM (over 1.37v) to accomplish which can be dangerous to the life of a processor. DDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better

we all know that guide, but have you tested it yourself? memory speed provides little to no performance boost in FSX in my experience

I'll quote NickN:

First off those timmings are rediculous you don't need to spend 250$ on Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM with 7-7-7 timings and the little fan it comes with!8-8-8 is fine for more like 180$, It makes almost no differnce, RAM has almost nothing to do with FSX. USELESS Uprgrade!! Stick with 8-8-8 you shouldn't pay 200+ dollars just to see a Frame or 2 more! Buy a Graphics card GTX 460 for the same prics or an SSD with the money, or waterooling, waterever, just don't make this upgrade.

Sounds good it did sound ridiculous, however graphic card upgrade can be useless too for fsx I currently own a gtx 285 and fsx is all about CPU anyway. What do you guys think?

You would still see an improvement with the GTX 460 and that's a lot of talk about FSX is only cpu blah blah. I can tell you first had the the graphics cards is very important maybe it's 3/5 CPU and 2/5 GPU. That's what lets you get good FP/S the CPU is what keeps them from dropping too much. If nothing else the image quality would look better.You allready have an i7-920 so no point in an upgrade there! Unless you ahve 1000$ for the 980X

I have to disagree luckyman. This is nothing new: A decent GPU like a 260 performs exactly the same as any fermi. The only gain with newer cards is 8xS AA

:Hug: I knew you would disagree but I strongly think that the GTX 460 is better, people have upgraded and got a boost. Are you tring to say that the made 4 new cards that are worse or equal to the previous ones, come on it's logic, there obviouly a bit better at least, and also image quality is much better!

we all know that guide, but have you tested it yourself? memory speed provides little to no performance boost in FSX in my experience
Yes, I have tested it myself. Over the last 1 1/2 years I've gone from cheap 9 latency ram @1600 to low latency 1600 to 1800 to 2000.You want to know what I learned? You get what you pay for.

typical misconception.

You get what you pay for.
Mind to share your tests results please?

yup, You want 4 more frames then go ahead and pay for them :rolleyes:

typical misconception
Yea this guy's a noob, So were are the benchmarks and the facts