Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton_

Can't get FS9 to run, please help

System specs:AMD athlon xp 2000512 MBPNY FX5200 cardDX 9.0bWinMeExplorer 6 and all updates for ME and ExplorerVIA 4 in in vers 4.36USB 2.0 cardUSB 1.0 hubDell P990 monitorRefress rate set to adaptorNvidia drivers 45.23When I first loaded FS9 I was using a Geforce 2Ti card, but it would crash back to the desktop at any given time. You did not now how long you were going to be able to fly.So I went out and brought a PNY FX5200 card not wanting to spend much cash but still be capatible with FS9.Before I installed the new card I removed FS9.Next I changed the display to "standard vga" and rebooted the system. When it came back all was OK so I shut the system off, removed the Geforce 2 ti and replaced it with the new PNY FX5200. Because I had the lastest drivers (45.23) I decided not install the drivers that came with the card as I PNY claims they are compatiable with all Nvidia unified drivers.When I rebooted, Windows reported it found the new drivers for the FX5200 and they installed OK.At that point all was working fine.Next I reinstalled FS9 using the Express mode. It loaded OK.When I clicked on run flight sim it stated to load then crashed back to the desktop.I rebooted the system, shut off everything except "explorer and systray" and started up the sim again. This time it came up to the start up screen where I chose to click on flynow and accept the defaults. (I check out the defaults to see what they were set at first). The program loaded and I thought my troubles were gone. Not so luckly. I had no control of the program. The key board would not work, the joystick would not work, and by the way I check in the setup screen first to insure the joystick was enabled. Nothing? I hit CTL C, to close the program but of course with out key board support nothing happened. I had to push rest on the computer to start the computer again. This has happen several times. At least with the old Geforce 2ti I got the sim to run. I have run scan disk, defrag many times and that did not help. Each time it crashed it would leave two files in the windows/temp folder. I have removed them before restarting and that did not help either. Please, if anyone has any ideals please post them here. Thank you.Parish (KSPI)

Your 4in1 drivers are pretty old, the latest are 4.49. Visit http://www.viaarena.com/ for later drivers.I would also place the graphics adapter in the Standard Vga mode again, delete the latest drivers under the control panel, add/remove program menu, reboot the computer, let it stabilize in the vga mode, then reinstall the drivers, reboot, then see if fs2004 operates correctly.When you switch cards, it is a good idea to reinstall the drivers since the new card uses different parts of the driver product.W. Sieffert

SieffertEarly today I did update the VIA drivers to 4.49. It did not make any difference . I then put the old Geforce 2ti back in and it now works fine. Now I must decided whether to return the new card or do as you suggest, switch to standard vga, remove Nvidia drivers and then install the new card and then install the Nvidia drivers. Thanks for the advice. Makes good sense to uninstall the old drivers first.Parish