Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeM

Megascenery and ATI cards

Ive heard many having a problem with Radeon cards and a "barber pole" effect on the sides of buildings. Also, the ground in the distance seems to be shimmering. Im having this problem. Then after I uninstalled megascenery the problems stayed. I changed back all my settings in the game that Megascenery adjusted. I even uninstalled FS2004 and the problems still there. It wasnt doing the before Megascenery. Could it have adjusted any files that stay on hard drive after uninstall? Im baffled!!! I have the Radeon 8500. Ive been wanting to upgrade to the 9800 but Im afraid of having the same problem. Any ideas???thanks,Tommy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'd suggest deleting your fs9.cfg (please see the "read me first" at the top of the forum for how to find it).It may be that uninstalling FS9 does not get rid of this file, and your new installation just adopts your old settings.When you restart FS9, you should see all settings reverted to their default. See if your problem is gone, and then adjust to your liking.

I get the shimmering also on my G/F 5600 256DDR card. I set my mip map to 4 ands its not to bad. I think with the type of tiles it uses that if you set any lower, then it starts losing its crispness.Ed

I just spent $400 bucks and got the Freakin ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.. and I have now introduced all the freakin problems you guys have been saying...Struttering.. Barber poles.. Shimmering..you name it.. and its there...It sucks.:(

Tommy: I am currently using the 8500 card with Windows XP, P.4, 2.2Ghz, plenty of RAM, etc. When I first loaded up MegaScenery about one-third of my display (center of the screen horizontally) was distorted with a mass of shimmering. I did make a few tweaks with no success.I then went to www.ati.com and downloaded the latest driver, 6-14-10-6368 (I was previously using 6-13-10-6094). I uninstalled the old, installed the new, and fired-up FS at a location in the MegaScenery area. The result: not good; all of shimmering remained...I then remembered a review of MegaScenery I saw on FlightSim.com. It's on the home page and by now it's probably 15 or 20 items down the page. The final portion of this review shows the tweaks and display settings used by the author. It also identifies the settings to be used with ATI's control panel. I did not have the latest version of this so I returned to the ATI site and downloaded and installed 6-14-10-5021 (it's located on the same page with the drivers).Next, I configured the settings on the control panel suggested in the review, did the tweaks, loaded-up FS, and finally, success.Even though the settings recommended in this review seem to be based on the 9800 card they appear to work on other cards as well. Many of same tweaks have also been mentioned in posts in various forums in the past couple of weeks with favorable results.Ed's response in this thread mentioned mip-mapping and I certainly agree with his slider config for this graphics card. Even though some have suggested a setting of 8 (which is maximum)it will not work. A setting of 4 seems to be optimum; anything higher will result in unacceptable shimmering and anything lower will present an out-of-focus 'washed-out' effect. I confirmed this result with both the old and new drivers.For those of you reading this that don't have MegaScenery it is really an impressive product and worth effort to 'tweak it out.' Once you ascend to about 1500 feet or more the realism effect emerges and you're rewarded with some great eye candy!-GeorgeM at 5B6