Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selkan

FPS at London Airports

Just something I've been thinking about for a while which has helped my FPS when flying in or out from London Airports. If you have a look at available airports under United Kingdom, then click on London, you will see a choice of five airports - Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, London City and Stansted. It would appear that when flying in to any of these airports or out from which ever one you choose to start your flight, that all five airports get loaded into FSX. So, if you could 'knock out' the ones you don't intend going anywhere near, one assumes this should increase those precious FPS. For me, I gained about a 10-12% increase, so for those who want to try this follow this:-Go to FSX/Scenery folder (not addon/scenery folder), here you will see a great long list of folders. Gatwick, Heathrow, and Luton are in scenery\0501\scenery\APX 47130 and London City and Stansted are in scenery\0601\scenery\APX 48130 folders. So, say you want to fly out of Stansted. Just left click on 0501\scenery\APX 47130, and drag it to a safe place/folder on your desktop. Start FSX, and the new data base will load. Go to Stansted in the normal manner you would choose, and away you go. Gatwick, Heathrow, and Luton will not show in your choices window, and will not get loaded.If you want to fly from Gatwick, Heathrow, or Luton, just click and drag scenery\0601\scenery\APX 48130 to your desk top; again those airports will not then be loaded.I use Airport Wizard by Flightsimtools, and when one goes to improve an airport using their program, this shows the name of the folder. This was how I identifed which folders were which. I believe the same applies to New York airports getting loaded together, so one could use the same approach to the above anywhere.As I mentioned, I got about 10-12% increase in FPS, so it may or may not be good for you, but worth a try I think.I should say that after any flight it would probably be a good idea to place the removed files back in place; FSX will then rebuild the data base next time you start it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I tried something similar to what you did a few months ago, but my version was a little more time consuming.As a test to see if I could improve FPS in the New York City area, I made custom ADE's for Laguardia and Newerk that basically consisted of no buildings/terminals and only 1 parking spot so that there wouldn't be a lot of AI on the ground to cause a futher hit. Basically I just loaded the stock airport files for these airports into ADE, then deleted all the buildings and parking spaces, then recompiled it and named it KLGA_Blank, etc.I figured it would be worth a test since when I fly into that area I never fly to either of those two airports. Now, I think FSX only loads the airport sceneries from somewhere between 10 and 20 miles, I cant remember, so knocking out Newerk probably wouldn't make much difference, but Lauguardia might.Having done all this for that area, frankly I am not really sure if I can see a noticable improvement or not since the New York area is so dense already with other objects. However, by not having a lot of AI sitting at Lauguardia it might make a difference.Aside from that NYC and London, I can't really think of many other cites where doing this would make much of a difference since there aren't many areas with major hubs in close proximity to one another.Worse case scenario, you could always just reduce your scenery complexity slider a notch or two and see how much of a difference it makes.

Hi cmpbellsjc, thanks for your input; all most interesting. Just thought I would add another note here for the benefit of anyone reading this thread. I do infact have another little tweak which has always helped me with my FPS where ever I fly.Most us probably,(and probably should) have a number of cfg files saved. (go to settings, make your scenery adjustments, and save your settings giving them a file name) I use basically three saved files, low - medium - and high. I normally fly using my medium settings, as, as we all know turning up all sliders in FSX is basically a no no. Certainly on a mid range P.C. like mine at present (I am about to build a new high spec P.C.!)I have been using this tweak most times that I fly. After FSX has loaded, click on settings. If your settings/cfg file is loaded to say med, or what ever name you have given it, change it to another cfg saved file. After that has loaded, perhaps takes 30 seconds, switch back to the cfg/settings you actually want to fly with. I have found a marked improvment in FPS by doing this, and I give an example below. I have to say that this doesn't appear to work for every flight, but if you havn't changed your settings for quite a few flights, I think you will see an improvement. I can't say why this happens, as I am no P.C. expert, but it seems to 'refresh' something within FSX that it likes.Example: yesturday I wanted to fly from Punta Raisi (Sicilly) over to Naples (Italy) This is a short flight lasting only about one hour in my 737-800 sim (Full size! - sorry for making a few green) I was making a short video for something I wont bore you with. Anyway, start of the flight I was getting about 19 FPS and at Naples they had gone down to 8-10 FPS. During my filming my video camera battery decided to die on me, so today I repeated the flight so I could carry on filming from the point things conked out. Did my little trick with the cfg first. My FPS at Punta Raisi were now 28 FPS and Naples were now up to 15 FPS. I had done exactly the same flight, time, cloud cover etc, and the results speak for themselves.This is a very easy tweak to try out. People might like to carry out a test flight, then repeat, everything the same, then try the tweak on the second flight to get a comparison on those pesky FPS.Hope it works for some!