Sign in to follow this  
Guest James Banks

Does anyone know how to remove a default scenery object?

In the middle of the runway at my home airport, KLWB, a short distance from the RWY 22 end Mr. Gates has chosen to construct one of the checkerboard buildings, assumed to represent a comm/navigation equipment shack.Looks like MS has claimed eminant domain of the airport. So far, I have ignored it, flown over it, or gone somewhere else. Looks like I may have to move huh.Does anyone know if it is possible, and if so how to locate and remove this object from the scenery at this airport?I have searched the scenery directory but can find nothing that would identify this object.Possibly I might be able to copy a backup, and start with the old half at a time, half of that etc. but there must be an easier way.Thanks:RTH

A simple edit of the scenery.cfg should do the trick....you can put an "exclude" around the object. You simply slew to the NW and SE corners of the object (I always allow a bit of buffer room), note the NW and SE lat/lon, and enter the cooresponding coordinates in the exclude statement....here's an example of one:Exclude=N45 30,W120,N45,W119 30,objectsNote that the minutes figure can have a decimal value (i.e. N45 30.1234). Also, the space between the degrees and minutes is very important.The exclude entry would go just after the scenery.cfg entry for the area the airport is in.... Hope this helps...-John

Thanks for the reply John:Forgive my ignorance, but is there anyway to identify the airport and object in the scenery file except trial and error? I do not know how to find it or its name in the scenery. In fact, I don't know how to find the airport, assuming it is in the Eastern USA section.Thanks:RTH>A simple edit of the scenery.cfg should do the trick....you>can put an "exclude" around the object. You simply slew to>the NW and SE corners of the object (I always allow a bit of>buffer room), note the NW and SE lat/lon, and enter the>cooresponding coordinates in the exclude statement....here's>an example of one:>>Exclude=N45 30,W120,N45,W119 30,objects>>Note that the minutes figure can have a decimal value (i.e.>N45 30.1234). Also, the space between the degrees and minutes>is very important.>>The exclude entry would go just after the scenery.cfg entry>for the area the airport is in.... Hope this helps...>>-John

Sorry John:I did not read your reply carefully enough. I believe I understand, and will do. I am sure that will work.Thanks again:RTH

You don't need to know the name of the object. The scenery.cfg divides the world into sections, and it also subdivides some of the continents into sections. Then there are city entries, but they contain city specific objects, so you don't have to worry about those. You just need to know what part of the world your airport is in, and enter the exclude line just underneath the scenery.cfg entry representing that part of the world. -John

If you're successful, can you please post a before/after shot? Doesn't have to be big. But if it works, the thread could serve to help those who end up with objects in the wrong spot, and also give them some measure of comfort that it isn't the end of the world, so to speak...-John

Guest juan_v

>A simple edit of the scenery.cfg should do the trick....you>can put an "exclude" around the object. You simply slew to>the NW and SE corners of the object (I always allow a bit of>buffer room), note the NW and SE lat/lon, and enter the>cooresponding coordinates in the exclude statement....here's>an example of one:>>Exclude=N45 30,W120,N45,W119 30,objects>>Note that the minutes figure can have a decimal value (i.e.>N45 30.1234). Also, the space between the degrees and minutes>is very important.>>The exclude entry would go just after the scenery.cfg entry>for the area the airport is in.... Hope this helps...>>-JohnHi JohnI was able to exclude a tall building from tjsj, but there is another building that I want to exclude from the same airport. Question: How do you exclude additional objects from the same area???? I tried an additional "exclude" command, but no "Hasta la vista baby", the building remained in the area.Thankshttp://home.coqui.net/velilla/images/aav100_banner1.jpg

Hi John,Your skills are much in demand ;)Does the exclude workaround work with autogen objects? I fly a lot around Edinburgh (EGPH) and following the Scotflight scenery installation I had three bridges across the Firth of Forth. The original bridge is an autogen generic and I managed to remove it by renaming the BR9EURW0.bgl and BR9EURW1.bgl files in the sceneryeurwscenery folder. The downside, of course is the loss of the autogen bridges throughout europe.Mike

The exclude does work with Autogen objects....something I know all too well because of an experiment I tried. Basically, I allowed FS2004 to load all it's default scenery (so I could import the AFD data). Then, I build a global exclude, which excluded every object on the planet. Then, I added entries linking to FS2002's scenery. The test worked, but all Autogen...gone.-John

Now that is an interesting find. I'll have to try it.Best regards,Mike

You can stack exclude commands, but it's pretty easy to make an error. That, and I don't know how precise you can get it. One thing you want to make sure of is that you orient yourself so the exclude box is aligned on a N/S E/W axis. The box must completely surround the object.I'll play around with it a bit tonight, and see if there's any issues I've overlooked. -John

Guest juan_v

>You can stack exclude commands, but it's pretty easy to make>an error. That, and I don't know how precise you can get it. >One thing you want to make sure of is that you orient yourself>so the exclude box is aligned on a N/S E/W axis. The box must>completely surround the object.>>I'll play around with it a bit tonight, and see if there's any>issues I've overlooked. >>-JohnI added the following "exclude" lines to the scenery file:[Area.011]Title=OceaniaLayer=11Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryOcenRemote=Exclude=N18 26.66,W65 59.81,N18 26.56,W65 59.73,objectsExclude=N18 26.45,W66 0.15,N18 26.44,W66 0.12,objectsThe first exclude line will remove the object but the second will not, now if I interchange the exclude lines:[Area.011]Title=OceaniaLayer=11Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryOcenRemote=Exclude=N18 26.45,W66 0.15,N18 26.44,W66 0.12,objectsExclude=N18 26.66,W65 59.81,N18 26.56,W65 59.73,objectsAgain the first will work but not the second!!! so........ it will only read the first exclude but ignore the second line!!! :-zhelpThanks http://home.coqui.net/velilla/images/aav100_banner1.jpg

After seeing the difference in the real (yes I have Scotflight scenery) versus MS default 'autogen' I wouldn't call it a loss. The MS bridges are so ridiculous I prefer flying without them. I am playing with the idea to make my own bridges for the area I live in though. If everybody does this we will have a 200% beter scenery in no time.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest James Banks

...I haven't tried it, but perhaps the "exclude" entries will work in sequence if numbered, much like the "flatten" entries in the scenery.cfg.Exclude.0=Exclude.1=Exclude.2=.....And so on. Worth a try..?