Sign in to follow this  
jjohnsondawgs

MD approach into Vancouver

Hey guys,Not an expert on the MD or flying it for that matter, would like a real experts opinion on whether you think this "looks" overweight or the nose is up too far. A little background, fully loaded with around 12lbs of fuel on final, video is right before I capture the g/s....I think, I had flaps 50 and maintaining vref/vapp I forget which one is first. Is this normal looking from the outside where the nose looks to be way up there?

The MD-11 has an odd nose-up pitch when low and slow, compared to most others. Here's a KLM approach and landing at St.Martin:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYt7kpsmHwComparing the video to yours, everything looks just fine. My experience flying it in the sim is just about the sim.Cheers,Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

Jeff,a bit high the pitch during some moments on approach but looks ok on short final to touchdown.But if you want us to really be able to judge your flying you should either film the PFD or give us your weight and speeds.Vapp is what you have to fly on final approach, Vref is the speed you should be just reaching when crossing the threshold. Touchdown then is slightly below Vref.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

The approach looked fine to me, not sure flaps 50 is really necessary (except for special circumstances). The MD11 is known to have a higher than normal pitch during approaches, based on its design and higher speeds relative to other heavies. I love the fluidity of your video and angle you took of it, with ground traffic and the street lights. What is your AI setting? I have 100% AI and will get low fps with those features enabled.Now I know what my next flights on the KLM MD11 should be, CYVR as currently flown by the real life KLM MD11, and TNCM as once flown by the MD11. I'm attempting real world routes as flown by KLM MD11s.

Comparing the video to yours, everything looks just fine. My experience flying it in the sim is just about the sim.Cheers,Kyle
That MD does look similar, thanks Kyle!
Jeff,a bit high the pitch during some moments on approach but looks ok on short final to touchdown.But if you want us to really be able to judge your flying you should either film the PFD or give us your weight and speeds.Vapp is what you have to fly on final approach, Vref is the speed you should be just reaching when crossing the threshold. Touchdown then is slightly below Vref.Regards,Markus
Markus - I agree about filming the PFD, once I touched down though I had to film the outside because of how smooth the landing looked.......don't make those all the time. I'm usually spot on with keeping it aligned with the Flight Director, after :50 it was mostly side-to-side movements because I like to look around......TrackIR is just too fun. :(
The approach looked fine to me, not sure flaps 50 is really necessary (except for special circumstances). The MD11 is known to have a higher than normal pitch during approaches, based on its design and higher speeds relative to other heavies. I love the fluidity of your video and angle you took of it, with ground traffic and the street lights. What is your AI setting? I have 100% AI and will get low fps with those features enabled.Now I know what my next flights on the KLM MD11 should be, CYVR as currently flown by the real life KLM MD11, and TNCM as once flown by the MD11. I'm attempting real world routes as flown by KLM MD11s.
767fan - Thanks, glad you liked it.....yeah I guess 50 is overboard on the flaps, I think I mainly do that to catch the first taxi way. My AI for traffic is on 4% and airline traffic is 20%, the autogen looks like it is high but it's only on normal. The scenery is FTX PacificNorthwest, best scenery out there.....in my opinion. Big%20Grin.gif