Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Windows 7 Sound Card...

It looks like my sound card may have given out. I was playing a game (F1 2010...at least the cars kind of have wings) and my computer froze up. I had to make a hard reset and was unable to boot in to Windows 7 despite several repair/recover/etc attempts. I finally did a clean resinstall (after backing up what I needed in safe mode, which worked).Now, I find that whenever I try to install my sound card drivers the computer freezes. I've given it 25 minutes of just sitting frozen to make sure it wasn't just a hiccup in the install process. I'm starting to think it may have been my sound card that did the whole thing in. Perhaps Windows loading the sound drivers is what caused it to freeze up booting in the first place and why safe mode worked without sound drivers. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on a new card. I had a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum before. I'm not looking to replace it with anything as fancy as this was when it came out. I don't use onboard audio because of poor quality sound, but otherwise just want a good (not professional) quality sound, reliable, 5.1 or better and hopefully cheap. I'm a bit short on PCI-e, so I would prefer just straight PCI. However, I can use either.I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have seen comments that Creative's drivers remain problematic for Windows 7 to this day (at least based on user reviews). My motherboard is a Gigabyte i7 board (don't really think that matters too much).So, what can you suggest? I appreciate any feedback.

Eric Szczesniak

It looks like my sound card may have given out. I was playing a game (F1 2010...at least the cars kind of have wings) and my computer froze up. I had to make a hard reset and was unable to boot in to Windows 7 despite several repair/recover/etc attempts. I finally did a clean resinstall (after backing up what I needed in safe mode, which worked).Now, I find that whenever I try to install my sound card drivers the computer freezes. I've given it 25 minutes of just sitting frozen to make sure it wasn't just a hiccup in the install process. I'm starting to think it may have been my sound card that did the whole thing in. Perhaps Windows loading the sound drivers is what caused it to freeze up booting in the first place and why safe mode worked without sound drivers. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on a new card. I had a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum before. I'm not looking to replace it with anything as fancy as this was when it came out. I don't use onboard audio because of poor quality sound, but otherwise just want a good (not professional) quality sound, reliable, 5.1 or better and hopefully cheap. I'm a bit short on PCI-e, so I would prefer just straight PCI. However, I can use either.I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have seen comments that Creative's drivers remain problematic for Windows 7 to this day (at least based on user reviews). My motherboard is a Gigabyte i7 board (don't really think that matters too much).So, what can you suggest? I appreciate any feedback.
Try looking the Asus Essence ST for PCI ot the STX for PCIe. These sound cards are not cheap (price around $200) but the W7 64bit driver works flawlessly...I had a similar problem with an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 X-Fi card... Sometimes I could hear a popping and a crackling sound specially when multitasking using a direct or a digital connection...The sound is one of the most important things in simming/gaming... The eyecandy gives you entertainment... but together with a crystal clear sound... it gives you immersion...Dexter

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

Wow, $200 is quite a bit more than I was looking to pay. I think I may try one of the more entry level cards in teh $50 range. I agree that sound is important in games, but as long as I'm not getting a lot of static (hihg signal/noise ration) and no odd pops and crackles (drivers), I consider myself pretty happy. I can't really tell the difference in most of those other parts of a high end sound card.

Eric Szczesniak

Guest veeray
Wow, $200 is quite a bit more than I was looking to pay. I think I may try one of the more entry level cards in teh $50 range. I agree that sound is important in games, but as long as I'm not getting a lot of static (hihg signal/noise ration) and no odd pops and crackles (drivers), I consider myself pretty happy. I can't really tell the difference in most of those other parts of a high end sound card.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829118109Personally I think the high end cards are a waste of money as well. There is far too much electromagnetic noise to make a big difference..