Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Totally compressing FS2004 works wonders and much smoother.

Guest DonaldS

How does one find out if their version of Windows XP Home, is NFTS?Thanks,DonaldS

Guest sb55mv

Hi,I don't want to sound stupid but here goes,what about when we want to add scenery or aircraft to FS9, what do we do then if anything.thanks,Steve

As stated above XP will auto compress it when you add it to the folder.Also to check if your drive is NTFS double click on "My computer" and highlight your C drive, look in the box to the left and it should have "details" and look under "file system", it should say NTFS or FAT32. When you install XP you have the option to make the drives Fat32 or NTFS.See you in the fence...CYYZ

This has REALLY improved FS9 for me! What I am able to do is to turn up my scenery sliders without a serious preformance hit. Clouds have always been a problem for me and still are but overall this has smoothed out my FPS and made FS more enjoyable. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Milamber

I wonder how long it will take to compress my folder which weighs in at 26.2GB with all the addons installed :)

Guest allcott

Something which nobody has yet mentioned is the need to defragment the drive that contains the FS9 folder after doing this - the compression itself fragments files badly.Sadly, haven't seen any change in my systemAllcottAMD XP1800MSI K7N Turbo2512meg RAMSoundblaster Live! with kx Project DriversGF FX4600 with Omega 45.23's

I don't know how, or why it works, but it does. This tip is mentioned at this site I think also. Why do some of you that are negtive toward it, or don't beleive it try it? What have you to lose?If you find it slower then you can just as easily decompress. If it works for you then fine you gain a much smoother Sim. Costs nothing to try it.Also with XP another tip is:Go into the command prompt and type:fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1This will disable the last access information written to each file as it is accessed. The result faster hard drive file read-access.Hey Scottpilot sounds like your sim is preforming similar to mine, running smoother allround, whereas those with a higher processor speed may benefit also by a bigger framerate increase.I don't know if compression works on all computers as they all very, but well worth a go, and you won't stuff it up, as I said no different, or slower just as easy to uncompress it with XP.All I can say instead of brushing it off try it, don't try you will never know if it works. Some of the people posting to this subject have had postive results, and for some it may not seem logically. But there have been hints and tips before that defy logic yet have worked I am sure.

Guest dfoulk

There is a disk compression utility in Win98SE. Whether or not it would be helpful is a ? for the brave to find out :)Den

Has anyone seen any improvement with FS2002?I'm running a 2.4 P4 w/GEForce 3 ti200.What if any ramnifications are there to decompressing the folder if I see a degradation in performance?Thanks in advance,GlennCYQG

Nothing as far as I know if you have XP? I tried compressing diffrent progams with XP and uncompressing them and found no problems.Don't know if this is the case with win 98 though? But with XP you can compress, or uncompress freely without any effects as far as I know?

Guest mrblutarsky

Well I tried it this afternoon. Couldn't really see a performance difference so I decompressed the files. I did notice that you have to defrag your drive after compressing becuse it really fragments the files.Thanks for the tip, though. :-)

HiI'm using the ATI RADEON 9700 PRO and even with the new 3.7 driver set there are still problems. Still flickering in FS mode. I'll use FS2002 until this is resolved... very frustrating.-Paul

Guest Milamber

Well it just finished...took 3 hours and now the folder reads 17.2gig :) Haven't seen if there are any improvements in performance yet.