Sign in to follow this  
Adrian West

Unable to register WideFS

I realise that FSUIPC and WideFS have their own forum on Simflight, but I am still waiting for my posting to appear there after 8 hours, so I thought I would get people's advice here too.I have had a registered copy of FSUIPC for some years. I have now purchased WideFS so that I can run FlightSim Commander on a separate laptop. The problem is that the e-mail address I used for WideFS is not the same as the one used for FSUIPC. I didn't realise this was an issue. I have tried to register WideFS using the key I received, and the key is rejected. This seems to be because the e-mail address and name in the registration tab are the ones used for registering FSUIPC and not the ones used for WideFS. It is not possible to edit the name or address. So I tried to fool the system and edited the FSUIPC key file to show the name and address used for FSUIPC. I was then able to register WideFS but then discovered that the module stated that FSUIPC was now NOT registered! So I changed it back on the key file and everything switched back to the way it was. I then noticed on the Simflight forum that somebody with the same problem was told to make sure he had the latest version of FSUIPC. I had version 3.96 and didn't realise that there was now a version 3.98. So I installed the new version, and this gives you a registration window where you can register FSUIPC, WideFS or both. Well I have now tried every option on that window including deleting previous registrations and registering both products again. I either have FSUIPC registered and WideFS not, or the other way round - in spite of the fact that both registrations were apparently successful. This is a stupid state of affairs. The simMarket page for WideFS is not clear that you have to use the same name and e-mail address as the ones used for the FSUIPC registration - it does mention something, but it is in small print and is not what I would call clear English. I have also seen some less than explicit comment about the requirements in the FSUIPC module's registration tab, but you only see this once you have purchased the product and tried to register, which is a bit late. So what happens with people who change ISP between purchasing FSUIPC and WideFS and get a new e-mail address?I really want to resolve this matter quickly as I cannot install FS Commander until I have WideFS sorted out. Is there anybody out there who can advise me on this? I am running FS9.1 on Win 7 x64, using FSUIPC 3.98 and WideFS 6.78. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, but if you read my posting again you will see tnat I have already done that. It is now some 16 hours since I sent my question, and I am still waiting for the posting to be approved by a moderator and to appear on the forum.
As far as I remeber Pete was away until 17 oct.And as far as I remeber the name has to be the same for both FSUIPC and WideFS. The email can be different.I think this is clearly declared in the advertisment.

As far as I remeber Pete was away until 17 oct.And as far as I remeber the name has to be the same for both FSUIPC and WideFS. The email can be different.I think this is clearly declared in the advertisment.
I don't entirely agree with you. The exact wording on simMarket in small print is "FSUIPC3 with key issued to the same name and e-mail address is required". This could be phrased in a more explicit way, and needs to be highlighted. In any case, I think the requirement is totally unreasonable, as in my case there have been several years between purchasing FSUIPC and WideFS, and it is not a given that one's e-mail address would remain unchanged. As far as using the same name is concerned, I registered FSUIPC using a joint address I have with my brother. When we bought WideFS we used my brother's e-mail address, as that is the one registered to simMarket. Why is it such a big deal which e-mail address is used? I found another posting on Simflight about the same issue: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/65866-widefs-registration/ That suggested that with the latest version of FSUIPC it doesn't make any difference what e-mail address you use. Not so, I'm afraid. I will wait and see whether my posting appears on the Simflight forum and what Pete has to say.