Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

MD11 MCphat liveries released!

Talking about the shot showing the green engine.When it is a high rest paint on that one , with rivets , they should be showing on the screen.They do not , so this is high res without rivets or....they just do not show.Best regardsLeen de Jager
I am going to jump in here in Lee's defence : The engines are -unless I am mistaken- not bumped, so you won't see rivets on a dynamic level, and I think that the amount of gloss, and the fact that the shot was taken during 'darker' conditions results in no diffuse rivet detail from that distance.
Enjoy my paints that i have done because thats it no more im done im out .... PeaceLee Marrow
Lee, let's not do this out in the open, if there's one thing I learned it's to take it up with the ones involved behind the scenes. Leen is a repaint guy, doing the texture thing for almost a decade. Hence why he is the repaint forum moderator here at AVSIM. He doesn't slant, but he is a stickler when it comes to detail and techniques. Just the other week, he asked me for a copy of the MD-11 World Airliners 1, because he wanted to test/try something I could not achieve (the level of glossiness, Ryan's talking about below). I could've been offended, as I've been doing this for a couple of years now, but I'm not. That's Leen, he points out things, proposes different techniques, and I take his advice, although at times I think 'Damn him, why didn't I think of that myself?'.
Terrence,Just want to say thanks for dealing with this in a professional way. You guys do good work, though I do admit I think there's too much of that shine effect going on where it looks like the plane's covered in ice or plastic. If you toned that down some I think it would actually make it look a lot more realistic - your level of detail under that shine is very very good though. I have a feeling you guys will be pleased with the extreme resolution we're going to allow for with the NGX textures.
Hi Ryan, Thanks. I have to say that my heart stopped for a short period after I saw Robert's post here. The first thing that crossed my mind was : 'Oh no, what did we miss?'. Luckily his e-mail was really nice, so I have to thank you guys as well for giving us the opportunity to do this. The level of glossiness. What can I say, I will probably have to agree with you to a certain extend. I myself like glossy planes, but there's going to be a separate installer holding only the matted down specular maps, for those that like their planes less glossy. It's tricky though, cause reducing the gloss level, also means we'll lose some of the dynamic body work on the bump mapping and that is the one thing I myself really like. gloss.jpgklmmd.jpgAlso, it took me until the day before the release to find out the way you guys mapped the different materials. We find that most developers control the level of gloss on the diffuse alpha, where as the amount of reflectivity/intensity of colour in the specular is controlled by the specular's alpha. So when I finally got my head around it, we were already within 24 hours of the release date. A date I wanted to keep, as we've been postponing and postponing and postponing so many times it was becoming a drag. So, in short : I am still trying to get the level of glossiness down and keep the body work. If I can, we will release an update, toned down. If I can't, we will release a separate set of specular maps for those people who are not into 'glazed doughnuts' ;)Last but not least, I don't know what it is you lot did with the material mapping, but this, the reflection of different colours of ambient light? We've tried to 'retrofit' it with our Captain Sim 757 High Def textures, but whatever spec, spec/alpha, diffuse, diffuse/alpha combination we tried, we couldn't get it to work, and it 'kind of upsets me' ;) Obviously I am not asking for secrets, but it is something none of the other developers thought of doing : klm3.jpgklm4.jpgOw and Ryan? About the 737NGX? Obviously I am not happy with you guys doing 300px/m, cause with that out the door go our comparison shots, and out the door goes 'our claim we have the highest px/m ratio on a FSX commercial airliner' (280 on the CS757 High Def's).. ;) No seriously, I 'm looking forward to them.. It goes without saying we want to get our hands on that kit, but I'll leave that for a different day and time..All the best,Terrence

Hey Terrence hope things are moving along with the release im waiting on the WA2 package . Im not starting any arguments on any matter so im not saying anything else regarding Leens comments . The engines do not have any bump mapping like you say .Like you i love the glossy MD11 the only way i could tone down the gloss was removing all the alpha channels from the bumps and spec files and even then there is still some there . I also noticed that the PW engine tail texture is slightly smaller than the GE engine tail texture . Terrence will we see any wips of the Freighter im looking forward to the F it should look pretty tasty .Lee Marrow

What ever happend to the free American Airlines HD MD-11 paint, which was supossed to be like a demo and uploaded for free at avsim and co.?Is there also some place to request HD or Lee Marrow HD paints from National Airlines, Overseas National and Western Airlines (Spaceship and Bud)?Btw. Lee I know what kind of stress painter have while creating paints. I, too, had this and my paints usually took a few months to years. That was because I had my studies and was re-fining the paints more and more til I was happy with them. I accept critics, but I don´t accept "demanders". ;)Kind regards.-STEFAN-FISCHER-