Sign in to follow this  
brianw234

ATC Approach Instructions

I hope somebody can help with this... When (default) ATC is ready to issue my aircraft approach instructions, it seems to do the same for about 10 other aircraft, all immediately one after the other. This slows down my sim substantially for 5-10 seconds, then all is fine again.Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop ATC doing this?

Well you could either reduce the amount of AI aircraft, or ditch the default ATC and go with one of the alternatives such as Radar Contact, PFE or whatever.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well you could either reduce the amount of AI aircraft, or ditch the default ATC and go with one of the alternatives such as Radar Contact, PFE or whatever.Al
Or also vatsim...another great alternative with real ATC comms, you speak, controllers speak, all real people. The ATC is trained like real world as far as i know, real world pilots and controllers use vatsim for training.Here: http://www.vatsim.net/

Another suggestion is, NOT to listen default ATC. Cause their vectoring is real comedy, as someone said, you will fly through la la land to capture ILS.I use RL flight plans for example, and RL Sid/Stars. All i need from default ATC is permission to take off and land...sometimes not even that. It's better when you listen Real Life ATC, from LiveATC.net, for example, than default ATC telling you, turn left, turn left, turn left...and than ATC services terminated... :(

All i need from default ATC is permission to take off and land...
You can get that if you fly VFR in FS9.

I hope somebody can help with this... When (default) ATC is ready to issue my aircraft approach instructions, it seems to do the same for about 10 other aircraft, all immediately one after the other. This slows down my sim substantially for 5-10 seconds, then all is fine again.Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop ATC doing this?
Yes the default ATC does seem to issue approach clearances to all aircraft (AI or yours) approaching a given airport at a given time. You can also be pretty sure that of those 10+ aircraft at least one of them will barge in ahead of you on short final, and most of the rest will be given go-around instructions at about 50' AGL...As others have said the easy solution is to replace or ignore the default ATC - realistic it isn't (see above). But I had the same problem which I accidentally fixed by turning off the sound temporarily, suggesting to my very non-techie mind that the problem was something to do with the processing power (or lack thereof) to handle all of those instructions at once. Or maybe not. But might be worth a try, as might turning ATC sound down to zero permanently. After all, having an American controller vector you in to Heathrow, or Paris, or Tokyo, or Joburg isn't that realistic either.

Thanks all for your great suggestions & help. This is what makes this forum what it is!I think I'll try turning the sound off on my next flight for starters.Thanks for the liveact.net link. I've never heard of it before. I'll see what it's like.Vatsim - I've used it pretty extensively - and IVAO too. I do agree it's the best way to fly in FS. There are only 2 drawbacks for me. I fairly regularly don't have access to the internet (wherever I am at the time) & often there's so little traffic that one might as well fly offline, without AI traffic. However, when it it busy, it's really great! Anyone who hasn't tried it should.I did try Radar Contact once, but I found the voices way too robotic. It did have much better features than the default FS though. No idea what ever happened to the disk, but I see there are later versions out anyway. I read somewhere that there's an expansion pack to improve the voices. Anyone tried it? Does it make the voices more realistic?PFE - never heard of it before. I'm assuming it statnd for ProFlight Emulator? Has anyone tried this? How good is it?Thanks again all. I now have some sort of idea of where to go from here