Sign in to follow this  
FrederikS

B777 ACARS

Hi,after a flight with PMDG's 747 and Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers amazing ACARS environment I was just wondering if the upcoming Aircrafts, especially the B777, will have ACARS support integrated. I would really like to see a PMDG quality CPDLC or ADS-C application. What aircraft would be better than the B777 and it's implementation of FANS-1. The environment provided by Mr Hoppenbrouwers is quite sophisticated it handles the complicated stuff like e.g. data authority for CPDLC quite realistic. So maybe PMDG can build upon that.Just thinking loud. Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifHave a nice weekend everybody.Freddy

I would've rather seen this thread come by when they actually started working on the Triple Seven, but that's just my opinion. All my focus is on the upcoming NGX, I want to learn every bit of it and in the meantime see what's happening around here regarding the B777. You're way ahead of schedule, lol. *Really, no offense.*You too, have a nice weekend.

I would've rather seen this thread come by when they actually started working on the Triple Seven, but that's just my opinion. All my focus is on the upcoming NGX, I want to learn every bit of it and in the meantime see what's happening around here regarding the B777. You're way ahead of schedule, lol. *Really, no offense.*You too, have a nice weekend.
An ACARS on the 737 wouldn't be too bad though.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Hi,of course, an implementation of ACARS on the NGX would be great. It would surely add a great deal of realismn. I was just refering to the B777 because of its unique ACARS integration and the use of CPDLC on mainly oceanic routes.Freddy

ACARS and FANS1/A CPDLC are options on both aircraft.Cheers,Nick Jones
Sure, but CPDLC is mainly used on oceanic routes and only seldom on continental flights (e.g. Europe with Link2000+).CheersFreddy

Sorry guys, can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference is between ACARS and CPDLC? Is CPDCL just a certain part of it or is is a completely different system? I have to say I never found one who could explain to me how ACARS actually works at all. I understand it's some sort of "datalink" (whatever that again means) but I don't understand how messages are forwarded. I see some COM units tuned to "ACARS" or "DATA" instead of a frequency (see B738 cockpit shots or similar), but I've heard people say satellites are also involved. I don't quite get it.If anyone has some info, it's greatly appreciated.sig.gif

It is a common misconception that CPDLC and HF radio are only used in oceanic areas. In some areas of the world, it is too expensive to provide full VHF coverage so HF radio is used instead. CPDLC is an excellent alternative in these areas. CPDLC is also being introduced as a tool to decrease controller workload and reduce air time on some of Europe's busiest ATC frequencies (LINK2000+ as you mentioned). This is extremely useful as you are able to send instructions to multiple aircraft without having to wait for the readback of the clearance. Alternatively, the controller can give the assistant instructions to send clearances to certain aircraft while dealing with another situation on voice.ACARS and CPDLC are two different applications that run on datalink. Datalink is similar to a telephone line or an Ethernet cable - a means of sending data. In aviation, we obviously cannot use wires, so we use radio signals instead. This can be achieved using VHF, HF and satellite to communicate to a ground station, which forwards the data to the appropriate recipient and vice versa. ACARS is primarily a tool used by the individual airlines as a means of company communications, rather than manually reporting Out Off On In and other reports and requests via voice. Many ACARS implementations offer a range of support tools for the pilots, including access to weather information (in lieu of VOLMET and can often receive ATIS at airports equipped with computer ATIS). Some airports offer ACARS links for the purpose of receiving PDC (pre-departure clearance).CPDLC stands for Controller-Pilot Datalink Communications. It is a means for controllers and pilots to directly communicate through a template text system. Standard messages are offered with input fields to transmit clearances and reports (e.g. "CLIMB TO AND MAINTAIN <altitude>", where the controller would select that message and simply enter the appropriate altitude). This is an alternative to voice communications in areas with limited VHF coverage and is being trialled as a supplement to voice communications in Europe. CPDLC also has a feature called ADS-C (Automatic Dependant Surveillance - Contract). You may have heard of ADS-B (ADS - Broadcast), which transmits the aircraft position, once per second. ADS-C is similar, however, instead of simply broadcasting the position, it must receive a contract (or instruction) from ATC to begin broadcasting. ATC will initiate this without the intervention of the pilots, however, pilots can deactivate this if necessary. ADS-C offers controllers a way of monitoring flight paths without radar or ADS-B antennae infrastructure and it fits seamlessly with CPDLC.Hope this helps!Nick Jones

The issue with implementing ACARS is the fact that you as a simulator pilot have no one to talk to. ACARS would come in handy for sim polits that fly on VATSIM and are affiliated with a VA that has a dispatcher, but in actuality, the chat box in VATSIM serves the same purpose.

The issue with implementing ACARS is the fact that you as a simulator pilot have no one to talk to. ACARS would come in handy for sim polits that fly on VATSIM and are affiliated with a VA that has a dispatcher, but in actuality, the chat box in VATSIM serves the same purpose.
I agree...wouldn't CPDLC be the equivalent, essentially, as text online? And you indeed would need someone listening to answer back? I guess I just don't see how it would work.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

ACARS would be suited for pilots belonging to a Virtual Airline.CPDLC would be suited for pilots participating in ATC services.The best option would be to implement the MCDU in a fashion similar to Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers' MCDU where other applications are able to use the MCDU as an interface, similar to the real world MCDUs.Cheers,Nick Jones

You know that you can actually do that with Flight Keeper don't you? There is even a special VA version specifically aimed at having it work in that way.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here