Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to keep a/c in manual mode at takeoff?

Can anyone tell me how to keep to manual mode during and after take-off? No matter how often I right-click the autopilot knobs they keep switching themselves back to managed mode and it then wants to climb at up to 10000 feet/sec. Worst is before I change to Climb Thrust, when the a/c accelerates far too much in managed mode - I get to 250KIAS within half a minute - no way I can keep to VR+10, but even after CLB THR is engaged the a/c still keeps switching itself back to managed mode. It's only at cruise that I get full control. Take-off with this a/c is a frenzy of right-clicking the AP knobs!Can't see any reference in the manuals to show I am doing anything wrong.. I set FLX for TO and so forth..Thanks,Martin

Hello, hello?? :-) I am sure this can't be only my setup - I have reinstalled the a/c on three different machines over the past few years and always had this problem. Does everyone else have the same thing happen?I shall keep at this post till someone replies!! Haha!Happy New Year.....M.

Just a few things to try until someone else chimes in as I do not own the PSS bus personally (flying the Airsimmer bus).1/ If I am correct then on the Perf / Climb page of the MCDU you should be able to set the climb out speed which would be kept until reaching acceleration aTithes in managed flight. You can also set the acceleration altitude on one of the pages to compy with the airports restrictions.2/ You could go full select mode and turn of the flight directors while on the ground and then you can select any speed you want in select mode during climbout3/ Normally I do not see why you would not be able to pull the speed knob during a managed takeoff around the green dot speed. I can do that on Airsimmer and then I only go managed once I am ready to accelerate to 250.Alex

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't enter any VNAV (e.g. Perf/CLB) speeds into the CDU - it just comes up 'Format error' or words to that effect - the subject of an earlier post (unresolved).I can keep pulling out the knobs to get back to select mode, but as soon as I start rolling down the runway for take-off the vertical climb speed and the IAS revert to managed mode all by themselves. Once in the air the Hdg knob goes to managed mode too. I therefore have to pull the knobs again - but after a (often very short) while they will switch themselves back to managed mode. I can only conclude that this is a bug in the a/c, (but then why does no one else report this)?M.

I've uploaded a video to show what happens - it really spoils the enjoyment of flying this aircraft. Does really no one else have the same problem??Ignore the fact that in the video the AutoThrottle is on (an oversight) - exactly the same sort of thing happens with it off. Have checked Takeoff normal, CDU etc. etc. Video starts as I press the FLEX...http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v68/martinlest/?action=view&current=PSSa320.mp4Martin

Hi Martin,You asked the same questions already in april 2010 ( thread: "A320 Managed & selected modes").We had a long exchange at that time, at the end of which you said: "All is well now".So I think you should read again the corresponding thread (with attention and entirely until the end :( ).Everything is said there.The thread is here (page 2 of this forum actually):http://forum.avsim.net/topic/281585-a320-managed-selected-modes/RegardsGuy

Hi. Thanks for the reminder Guy - I was pretty sure I'd posted somewhere about this before, but searching in my previous posts last week that particular one didn't come up (or I just missed it, though I have found before that posts I have made, and that I am actually looking at on my screen, are absent from the results page when I search AVSIM for my previous threads, that has heppened several times). I had totally forgotten I had said 'all is well now' (a bit amazing because I do not recall ever getting this a/c to work properly re. the AP knobs, but clearly it's my memory that's at fault!).I can only go back and carefully go through the older post again and see if I can get back to all being well. Will post back here just to say how I get on.Thanks again!M.

Yes, that's much better. My only excuse for this post is that I tend to be abroad for several months at a time and by the time I come back to the UK and FS, I've forgotten no end of stuff like this! Comes back to me bit by bit ..Thanks again,Martin

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.