Sign in to follow this  
bfs_david

Will FSX run on this?

For sure FSX will run on it just like a hot knife cutting though butter! Yes, of coures it will, I wish I had such a great MOBO.

For sure FSX will run on it just like a hot knife cutting though butter! Yes, of coures it will, I wish I had such a great MOBO.
I wouldn't wonder if he came back greatly disappointed with this build. It will cut through FSX rather like cold knife through cold butter LOL.gif2nd, where is the GPU????i3 for FSX? Ugh. DUAL-CORE. You need quad for FSX to decently run it. Slow memory. i5 minimum, or i7. 4.2ghz won't cut it. For FS9, great system if you add a decent GPU for AA/AF.

I wouldn't wonder if he came back greatly disappointed with this build. It will cut through FSX rather like cold knife through cold butter LOL.gif2nd, where is the GPU????i3 for FSX? Ugh. DUAL-CORE. You need quad for FSX to decently run it. Slow memory. i5 minimum, or i7. 4.2ghz won't cut it. For FS9, great system if you add a decent GPU for AA/AF.
well Word Not Allowed, you know I respect you big time but also that I'm the Avsim's (un)official socket 1156 a really excited user :biggrin: 2 cores vs 4 means no more than a 10% performance loss in my experience in the most demanding scenarios clock for clock.I have a friend that got one of these budget bundles and we've run some tests together. The I3 is definitely up to the job

Hahaha, Daz, you a really excited user, you :Big Grin: If you say so. I saw FSX once, on an i3, don't know which exactly, but it was i3 and I believe it was GTX275 back then. Terrible performance. It wasn't at such high clock though.I believe that FSX is highly dependant on texture cores, as I see big differences on my system as I systematically turn off some cores and run it on two cores only.But on FSX medium settings, I think, with a decent GPU, this system could pull some load.

Hahaha, Daz, you a really excited user, you :Big Grin: If you say so. I saw FSX once, on an i3, don't know which exactly, but it was i3 and I believe it was GTX275 back then. Terrible performance. It wasn't at such high clock though.I believe that FSX is highly dependant on texture cores, as I see big differences on my system as I systematically turn off some cores and run it on two cores only.But on FSX medium settings, I think, with a decent GPU, this system could pull some load.
I can tell you that the biggest difference I've seen so far was when I installed a GTX 460. After that the biggest modification was the use of Bojote's (*******'s) automatic .cfg modification. Not to mention overclocking this aged E8400 to 4.0+ GHZ. I'm wondering if the addition of a quad core (most probably at a lower clock) will make as huge a difference as some suggest.I can say I'm perfectly happy with my performance now with complex aircraft and maxed graphical settings, even on my obsolete Core2. Mind you I don't use AI traffic in FSX.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I can tell you that the biggest difference I've seen so far was when I installed a GTX 460. After that the biggest modification was the use of Bojote's (*******'s) automatic .cfg modification. Not to mention overclocking this aged E8400 to 4.0+ GHZ. I'm wondering if the addition of a quad core (most probably at a lower clock) will make as huge a difference as some suggest.I can say I'm perfectly happy with my performance now with complex aircraft and maxed graphical settings, even on my obsolete Core2. Mind you I don't use AI traffic in FSX.
I had FSX on E8600@4.2 and GTX285, my current card. It was pretty much a party pooper. Only after the i7 upgrade, I saw what one would call decent performance... I believe the magic lies in those 4(8) cores.

I see big differences on my system as I systematically turn off some cores and run it on two cores only
oh, that's surprising to me mate. how much of a drop did you see when on 2 cores compared to 4 please? did you have any affinity mask set in your FSX.CFG when you tested that? where was that and what settings to try and reproduce it?

oh, that's surprising to me mate. how much of a drop did you see when on 2 cores compared to 4 please? did you have any affinity mask set in your FSX.CFG when you tested that? where was that and what settings to try and reproduce it?
I never said difference was in FPS. :)It was a major FPS difference between E8600 and i7, I believe I posted FPS differences in this forum, compares with old CPU and 8800GT, and newer GTX285, and then with i7 and GTX285. I honestly don't remember what a difference was. But I don't believe that E8600 and i3 would yield such a drastic performance difference.Concerning threads, I assign them through the affinity mask in fsx.cfg. If I only assign two cores, I see slower texture loading, stutters etc. Also a bit lower FPS (don't ask me now for %, I won't go into testing any more). Though FPS were not as bad as on my old E8600.I personally think i5 should be a minimum for FSX, if you want to run it decently.And now, let's give a guy back his thread? ^_^

I never said difference was in FPS. :)It was a major FPS difference between E8600 and i7, I believe I posted FPS differences in this forum, compares with old CPU and 8800GT, and newer GTX285, and then with i7 and GTX285. I honestly don't remember what a difference was. But I don't believe that E8600 and i3 would yield such a drastic performance difference.Concerning threads, I assign them through the affinity mask in fsx.cfg. If I only assign two cores, I see slower texture loading, stutters etc. Also a bit lower FPS (don't ask me now for %, I won't go into testing any more). Though FPS were not as bad as on my old E8600.I personally think i5 should be a minimum for FSX, if you want to run it decently.And now, let's give a guy back his thread? ^_^
Ok, thanks once again man, I would never ask you to run anymore tests again and you're right, back on topic now:So to the original poster, what's your flying style?