Sign in to follow this  
kickin_chicken

Altimeter Resetting

Anyone experience altimeter resetting to standard 29.92 without user intervention? I have a freeware P-3C aircraft, and occasionally the altimeter resets to standard pressure (29.92), even though I am not changing it, nor am I hitting "B". I have never had this issue before. Only happens with this particular aircraft. Any suggestions as to why this would happen? Obviously, the barometric pressure is no 29.92 when this occurs. Thanks!Derald

Are you at transitional altitude when it happens, depending on the country you are in? (It may be a feature of the aircraft.) Are you running any other addons at all? Do you have your pitot heat on, or are they freezing (must be set to on in your default flight, too).

Anyone experience altimeter resetting to standard 29.92 without user intervention? I have a freeware P-3C aircraft, and occasionally the altimeter resets to standard pressure (29.92), even though I am not changing it, nor am I hitting "B". I have never had this issue before. Only happens with this particular aircraft. Any suggestions as to why this would happen? Obviously, the barometric pressure is no 29.92 when this occurs. Thanks!
It would be quite easily written into the code of the altimeter gauge on the panel, although a rather short-sighted thing to do on the part of the designer if that is what has been done.You could see if that is the case by temporarily changing the aircraft to use a different panel.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed out the gauge and will test it tomorrow. I was definitely not at transition altitude as I was on takeoff roll when it happened, and during climb. Naturally after transition altitude and the altimeter resets to 29.92 I don't see any problem. It only happens < 18,000 ft, naturally. Pitot heat is on. Anyone else see something like this? Honestly I can't remember if it happened only with this freeware P-3C plane or with other planes as well. I forget. The only add-ons I have is FSPassengers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed out the gauge and will test it tomorrow. I was definitely not at transition altitude as I was on takeoff roll when it happened, and during climb. Naturally after transition altitude and the altimeter resets to 29.92 I don't see any problem. It only happens < 18,000 ft, naturally. Pitot heat is on. Anyone else see something like this? Honestly I can't remember if it happened only with this freeware P-3C plane or with other planes as well. I forget. The only add-ons I have is FSPassengers.
Sorry - I read more into that than what you wrote! I was thinking you referred to 18000 feet when you didn't. As an aside, 18000 feet might not bother you but for those of us that fly outside the USA it might . . .It still could be some curious code in one of the panel gauges, though. It could conceivably be in another other than the altimeter which is why I suggested trying a different panel rather than just changing the gauge over.It isn't an aircraft I have (or would particularly want) but if you can identify exactly which freeware one it is there maybe somebody else on here that could compare notes?John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

It would be something of a first for a gauge to have a 'database' of transition altitudes for the world's airports. The easiest way to test it would be to move to Europe where TAs vary widely.Try EGCC (Manchester) where the TA is 5000ft, EGLL (London Heathrow) is 6000ft or EHAM (Amsterdam Schiphol) where it's 3000ft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you're using ActiveSky, ActiveSky Evolution, REX Weather, or Real Worldweather, this can happen unexpectadly as well. Check your FSUIPC weather and smoothing settings, too.

Thanks for the replies. I will test my new altimeter gauge tonight. I've not had this issue before with any other plane, only this one. The aircraft (and panel) is the FS_KBT P-3C Orion that I downloaded. The aircraft is otherwise great. Just an annoying tendency to reset the altimeter to 29.92 while taxiing or on t/o.. Derald

I suppose you could also try swapping out the built in altimeter gauge for one from another aircraft -- maybe one from the default King Air, or something like that. Just a thought.P.S. Hi, Ray Proudfoot! Good to see your name posted here again -- I don't think we've heard from you in a dog's age! Been over at the FSX forum?

P.S. Hi, Ray Proudfoot! Good to see your name posted here again -- I don't think we've heard from you in a dog's age! Been over at the FSX forum?
Hi Chuck, No, I'm still flying FS9. I had a quiet spell when I didn't post much but you'll always find me over on the RC Forum. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Whilst on the subject of altimeters, I am searching for a standby altimeter that works independently in FS9. As often I need to set QNH on one and QFE on the other. In FS9 the altimeters work in tandem unless specifically programmed.If anyone knows where I might find one. Thanks.vololiberista

Well guys it was the gauge. I replaced the gauge with a similar one and there's been no problem since. Thanks for the help!
All's well that ends well. Might be worthwhile reporting it to the gauge author.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

...and also for future posterity, documenting here exactly WHICH gauge you ended up using.