Sign in to follow this  
airindia16

FSX Microphone

If you have existing speakers, may I recommend getting a desk microphone? They are very cheap. Something like this would be fine:http://www.amazon.co...95084972&sr=8-4However, if you are wanting a headset and microphone, but still want to hear FSX through your computer speakers then you will need to buy a headset without noise reduction, as noise reduction reduces outside noise when you are wearing the headset and so you will not be able to hear your speakers very well. Something like this would be good:http://www.amazon.co...95085196&sr=1-3Or, if you want to get a more decent headset and listen to everything through the headset itself then you can think about some of the suggestions that people have given above, and if you can you should spend as much as possible.
so if I do have noise reduction, what will I hear from my headphones? Can I hear only the radio of airplanes talking back and forth, or is it just like what I hear right now with my speakers? The thing is that I will only use the headphones for multiplayer, and I do not need it for normal flying because you are never talking, just pressing some key to talk to atc

I got me recently a Sennheiser PC 166 headset. By far one of the best headsets I ever owned. It's not too expensive, and worth every penny in my point of view.Desktop mics suck, cuz they pick up very much noise and not enough voice.USB is the way to go, since it's freely configurable.Also, I thought Sennheiser will block too much from the speakers, but it's not doing it. I can hear engines almost as good as when I'm not wearing it. Awesome.

Based on experience, I wouldn't recommend a desktop mic as they're generally more susceptible to picking up background noise from your speakers (generally speaking). This can cause issues, especially if using speech recognition programs.I'd go with a USB headset. You can get a good one for about $20.If money is no object, you can try a noise canceling one, but that's a bit overkill in my view.Best,
When you have a noise cancelling headhphone (you can get one for just about 30 dollars from logitech), you can still hear the engine noise, its just that it is not very audible from the headsets, right? So I would hear it from within the headset?"Logitech ClearChat™ Comfort USB" http://www.logitech.com/en-au/notebook-products/pc-headsets/devices/3621Thanks!

Creative fatality. Around the £30 mark. I use it for both gaming and FSX. Very good sound/mic quality, had it for well over a year and no problems at all.