Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

To upgrade or to not upgrade..

Hi guys,With all this talk about SB and stuff I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not (if yes,for what to keep it low cost). At the moment I have an E8500 O/C @ 4 with 4Gb RAM and a GTX 460. I'm relatively happy with performance, but I guess you always want more..I only fly the LDS 767 and with traffic and sceneries I get 25-30 fps in almost all situations (I don't fly to big US cities).Would an upgrade to a quad( I5 2500k or I5 760) @ around 4Ghz be that much better than my E8500 @ 4?Thanks

I have just made the move from a Q9650 @4GHz (which in theory should have been performing better than your E8500) to a 2600K @4.5GHz and I am VERY happy with the results. The performance of FSX has greatly improved in areas of dense scenery. The sensation of flying the PMDG JS41 over NYC and using the FPS limiter set to 30 fps is as smooth as silk. The average frames stay right at 30 with very little variation. It has also made a big improvement in other sims that I use such as Rise of Flight and DCS A-10C.I don't think that you will be disappointed with a SB if you decide to go in that direction.Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Hi,The i5-2500k can be overclocked to 4.4GHz+. This will allow you to practically maximise all settings in FSX (excluding a few). I'd keep the GTX460 for now, and see how it runs with a 2500k. Skip the 1156 socket as they are now replaced with the SBs.