Sign in to follow this  
anakletor

Wrong altitudes

Hello,I usually get calls from ATC telling me that I am at the wrong altitude. My altimeter is showing the right altitude and altimeter setting is set to what ATC is telling me. I use Active Sky Evolution for generating weather.Any suggestions?

Hello,I usually get calls from ATC telling me that I am at the wrong altitude. My altimeter is showing the right altitude and altimeter setting is set to what ATC is telling me. I use Active Sky Evolution for generating weather.Any suggestions?
The Altimeter setting that ATC give you is for use below the transition altitude. For example the whole of the USA have a standard tranistion of 18,000 feet. In Europe it varys by airport but is usually around the 5000/6000 mark. Above these altitudes you should set your altimeter to the standard pressure setting of 1013 or 29.92. If you have left your pressure setting at the local value then your altitude will not be correct.

Oh. I was not aware that TA vary from country to country and even within certain countries. I will have to do some research. Thanks for your response!

You can get the transition altitude within RC during your preflight setup. Open the Controller page after loading your plan and it will be in there for your destination and chosen altitudes.Standard altimeter with the flight level zones is 29.92 in or 1013 mb. Some panels have a selection switch that will put it into standard pressure or your selection according to ATC issued altimeter readings.The general rule is if RC issues an altitude in feet then you should set your altimeter to local pressure (QNH). If RC issues an altitude stating flight level then use standard pressure and your altitude reading would then be in FL number X 100 (add two zeros).This is all in the RC manual. Search for transition altitude.