Sign in to follow this  
sonic5

FSX vs X-plane

I am getting pretty fed up with FSX, all the CDTs, all the deleting files downloading this and that, and still nothing seems to change just more and more FSXers joining the forum with more and more problems , can any one tell me is the change to X-PLANE better, worse our all of the above? First i have a Saitek Yoke, radios,and throttles 4 of them, are they all compatable with X-PLANE? Can I use my FSX add-ons? such as scenery, textures, planes etc? Is installing add-ons as easy in X-PLANE as in FSX or is it another learning curve? Trying to read the X-PLANE forum but would like some specifics? Any help would be helpful, THANKS

Guest veeray

why don't you just download the demo....

I am getting pretty fed up with FSX, all the CDTs, all the deleting files downloading this and that, and still nothing seems to change just more and more FSXers joining the forum with more and more problems , can any one tell me is the change to X-PLANE better, worse our all of the above? First i have a Saitek Yoke, radios,and throttles 4 of them, are they all compatable with X-PLANE? Can I use my FSX add-ons? such as scenery, textures, planes etc? Is installing add-ons as easy in X-PLANE as in FSX or is it another learning curve? Trying to read the X-PLANE forum but would like some specifics? Any help would be helpful, THANKS
I can tell you that I have bought every FS title since FS98. I have spent thousands of dollars on hardware and add ons. I saw Javiers CRJ video 2 years ago and switched to X Plane and have never looked back. It does not have full ATC. But it does have some. All your hardware will work with X Plane. X Plane has an extremely customizable set up. Even more so than FSUIPC. You CAN use your scenery with X Plane using a free utility that converts FS9/FSX scenery to X Plane. It is called FS2XPlane. Google it and you will find it. FS9/FSX planes will not work with X Plane. X Plane is written in OpenGL whereas FSX is written in DirectX. 2 completely different platforms so any coding done for FSX add on aircraft will not work in X Plane. There are no registry entries when installing anything x plane related. When you buy a payware X Plane add on or download a free one, you just cut and paste the aircraft folder into your X Plane/Aircraft Folder. There are no executables.Hope this helps

Guest veeray

No offence to the scenery converter guys, i"m sure it does a good of a job as it possibly can, but you can't just run a tool to convert FS9/FSX to Xplane scenery/. Tried many times and at the end you get nothing even resembling an airport.

No offence to the scenery converter guys, i"m sure it does a good of a job as it possibly can, but you can't just run a tool to convert FS9/FSX to Xplane scenery/. Tried many times and at the end you get nothing even resembling an airport.
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I get excellent scenery conversions for all the scenery I have for FS9 and FSX. Sometimes, there are a 1 or 2 issues (like a wall at the end of the runway) but that's when you open the converted scenery in WED and remove any problem objects and align any runways that are slightly off. In the end, you have a flawless airport scenery conversion.

Guest veeray

So you got Aerosoft/Orbx/FSDT/Flytampa scenery working? Don't you find it odd none of these companies have anything in Xp9/10 given that tool takes under 15 seconds to run.

So you got Aerosoft/Orbx/FSDT/Flytampa scenery working? Don't you find it odd none of these companies have anything in Xp9/10 given that tool takes under 15 seconds to run.
I don't have OrbX or FSDT. I do have Aerosoft and FlyTampa.I'm not going to load every single airport I have converted and take screenshots but I will post 2 of them. TNCM and Saba from FlyTampa.And as a matter of fact, I DO find it odd they don't create scenery for x plane. But in saying that, the market is still bigger for FSX than it is for X Plane. Maybe they figure it's not necessary to convert for X Plane when the user can just do it themselves.

Guest veeray

so you don't see anything missing from what you have there and what Flytampa advertises on their website. And the reason Aerosoft doesn't bother is because even with native scenery x-plane can't render the amount of geometry that FSX gets away with....

so you don't see anything missing from what you have there and what Flytampa advertises on their website. And the reason Aerosoft doesn't bother is because even with native scenery x-plane can't render the amount of geometry that FSX gets away with....
X Plane can render MUCH more geometry than FSX. The highest polygon add on for X Plane is the A380 and that has 1.7 million polygons and still runs at about 40fps on a single core PC.Whatever is missing from the screenshots might have been deleted by me because it may have caused artefacts. TBH, I did the conversion about a year and a half ago and can't remember what I took out. The point wasn't really the small amount of objects that could be missing...it was that FSX/FS9 scenery conversions are possible and yield excellent results.It's pretty damn good considering it's converted from FSX to a completely different platform.

Guest veeray

Of course it causes artifacts that's why I brought it up. You implied 100% compatibility when you said you can convert from FS9/FSX to X-plane. That simply is not true.

Of course it causes artifacts that's why I brought it up. You implied 100% compatibility when you said you can convert from FS9/FSX to X-plane. That simply is not true.
Could you please show me where I said there is 100% compatibility in the post I made? The post I made has been pasted and bolded below.I'm not a scenery developer. So when I say flawless, I mean it possible to FIX the artefacts with a little work.I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I get excellent scenery conversions for all the scenery I have for FS9 and FSX. Sometimes, there are a 1 or 2 issues (like a wall at the end of the runway) but that's when you open the converted scenery in WED and remove any problem objects and align any runways that are slightly off. In the end, you have a flawless airport scenery conversion.

Guest veeray
You CAN use your scenery with X Plane using a free utility that converts FS9/FSX scenery to X Plane. It is called FS2XPlane. Google it and you will find it.
You need to learn how to qualify your statements. Especially when the success rate of getting anything that remotely resembles the original is less than 10% All but the simplest of a sceneries conversions fail.

-sigh-I'm far too tired and far too busy making x plane add ons to argue semantics and detail every part of my statements.If you believe you are right, there is no point in continuing.Bottom line, FS9/FSX scenery can be used in X Plane. It has been converted by many users.Whether it's IDENTICAL to how it was originally made for MSFS is a different matter.