Sign in to follow this  
jay907uk

FS2004 in W7 64 bit

HiHave loaded FS9 into W7 64bit and I've installed it into C:\FS2004 and selected Run As Administrator plus have the Disable desktop composition box ticked as recommended but get this message saying Run stub.exe though FS9 loads up fine? Anybody else had this? And will it affect FS once all my stuff is installed?ThanksJason Thompson

Jason Thompson

Just curious, about the location. Most of my 32bit stuff (CFS3, FSX) has ended up in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\. Though I do have some things that have loaded onto the C:\ like your sim.

Stub.exe is a file on the installation CDs which I have always assumed was something to do with being prompted to load the next CD in the installation sequence.David

David,I have already installed it and done each CD as needed which is very puzzling indeed? When I go to load up FS9 in W7 it seems to load fine, shall I just ignore it?ThanksJason

Jason Thompson

Just curious, about the location. Most of my 32bit stuff (CFS3, FSX) has ended up in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\. Though I do have some things that have loaded onto the C:\ like your sim.
\Program Files\Program Files (x86)\WindowsAre all protected system folders in Vista and Win7 (the x86 folder is only for 64 bit, where the other two folders are in 32 and 64 bit).The computer Administrator does not have full access to those folders. This prevents malware and viruses from modifying files in those folders by hijacking the logged on user permissions.Unfortunately, FS2004, FSX and many other programs do not understand the Vista and Win7 security system. Such as - the aircraft.cfg files should not be in Program Files. Any files the user may need to edit should be in the hidden folder C:\ProgramData. That is not really surprising since those programs were released long before the updated security systems were designed.The way to get around the inherent conflicts of an old program which does not understand or comply with updated security systems is that during the install - point the program to install in a folder outside \Program Files or \Program Files (x86).FS2004 can be made to work just fine in the \Program Files folder, but that takes a good working knowledge of Windows file and folder security, security groups and sometimes group policies. More than most folks want to study and learn.

Run stub.exe though FS9 loads up fine? Anybody else had this? And will it affect FS once all my stuff is installed?
I assume you are taking your CD4 out when you are not using FS2004, and placing it in the CD/DVD drive when you want to run FS2004.The window which pops up and offers you the option to run "stub.exe" is just how computers work when a CD is inserted.I almost never take my CD4 out of my CD drive because all my desktops have two DVD/CD drives. On my laptop when I insert the CD4, I cancel and close the screen which pops up about Run stub.exe or open the CD folder. I just run FS2004 from the icon on my desktop.Running the 'stub.exe' starts the FS2004 installer program running in the continuation mode. But if the installer program checks and finds the install of FS2004 was completed, it will launch the FS9.exe file to start FS2004 in the program mode.

I assume you are taking your CD4 out when you are not using FS2004, and placing it in the CD/DVD drive when you want to run FS2004.The window which pops up and offers you the option to run "stub.exe" is just how computers work when a CD is inserted.I almost never take my CD4 out of my CD drive because all my desktops have two DVD/CD drives. On my laptop when I insert the CD4, I cancel and close the screen which pops up about Run stub.exe or open the CD folder. I just run FS2004 from the icon on my desktop.Running the 'stub.exe' starts the FS2004 installer program running in the continuation mode. But if the installer program checks and finds the install of FS2004 was completed, it will launch the FS9.exe file to start FS2004 in the program mode.
I put the disk into the drive as normal and double click the icon which loads up the main screen for FS2004.I never used to get that stub.exe when running it on XP unless it's a W7 odd thing.It seems to run fine even when that stub.exe comes up.ThanksJason

Jason Thompson

I never used to get that stub.exe when running it on XP unless it's a W7 odd thing.
There is an autorun setting you have to change in XP to not get it pop-up. Win7 may or may not have the same setting change - I frankly haven't looked for it.
Just Googled "stub.exe". Seems it could be an adware risk/problem.
Not from the Microsoft FS2004 CD - it is part of the install program. Without it - you cannot install FS2004.

There is an autorun setting you have to change in XP to not get it pop-up. Win7 may or may not have the same setting change - I frankly haven't looked for it.Not from the Microsoft FS2004 CD - it is part of the install program. Without it - you cannot install FS2004.
What you said above Reggie....FS2004 has installed ok and works absoutely fine? Shall I just ignore it? Sorry for all the questions.ThanksJason

Jason Thompson

\Unfortunately, FS2004, FSX and many other programs do not understand the Vista and Win7 security system. .
Of course they don't. According to their boxes, FS2004 system requirements are Windows 2000, XP, 98/ME: FSX 's are XP SP2 or Vista.What you really mean is that users and developers don't understand the security system,