Sign in to follow this  
Raindance

AFG Caravelle

I recently downloaded this (it's here on Avsim) and am impressed. It's a lovely model and flies nicely. I do like these older airliners, which to me seem to have a bit more character to them than today's monsters. I was wondering, have any of the pro pilots here ever flown a real one?http://www.alliedfsgroup.com/(There's a link to a youtube video with shots of the plane in various liveries, complete with cheesy 60s music Big%20Grin.gif)

I'm not in any way a pro pilot and only, at best, a rather dodgy Flight Sim pretend pilot, but I do use the AFG Caravelles and love them. I even donated I was so impressed with the standard of this freeware. A word of warning though. I know that some people dislike them for their lack of VC (one forum member at flightsim.com went absolutely ballistic over this when they were released in 2008) but, if this is not a major issue for you, I'd really recommend these classics.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Yes, the lack of VC is a shame, but I tend not to use them anyway (I might if I had a bigger VDU), although it's nice to be able to have a look around the cockpit if the VC is there. For someone to go ballistic about the absence seems a bit churlish though, given the quality of these add-ons.These older airliners appeal, at least to me, as they're a call-back to the days when civil aviation was a glamorous and exclusive business, rather than the mass transport it is today. It's nice even pretending to fly these birds.

I'm not in any way a pro pilot and only, at best, a rather dodgy Flight Sim pretend pilot, but I do use the AFG Caravelles and love them. I even donated I was so impressed with the standard of this freeware. A word of warning though. I know that some people dislike them for their lack of VC (one forum member at flightsim.com went absolutely ballistic over this when they were released in 2008) but, if this is not a major issue for you, I'd really recommend these classics.
Yup - Even without a VC, the AFG Caravelles are wonderful aircraft. I like them too.

Guest belga1

Hello,You can also try the HJG model .. it's also very good and nice .. :( Many different versions availablehttp://www.simviation.com/hjg/downloads.htmCaravelle_10R_Transwede_SE-DEB.jpgCaravelle10B3_2.jpgRegards.bye.gifGus.

I'll be downloading quite a bit of stuff listed there.
A wise decision. Do you have any of David Maltby's freeware British classics? And what about the best freeware aircraft ever, the epic TU-154m from Project Tupolev? Amazing stuff.

Gavin Barbara

A wise decision. Do you have any of David Maltby's freeware British classics? And what about the best freeware aircraft ever, the epic TU-154m from Project Tupolev? Amazing stuff.
I'll second that. The David Maltby planes are very nice and worth checking out - http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/. I keep hoping his VC-10s will get upgraded. The Project Tupolev aircraft ( http://fs-proteam.com ) are all brilliant, their Tu-154M is the best there is and my favorite aircraft in FS9 (and real world)!'Raindance', if you like classic airliners, you'll probably also enjoy the Rick Piper HS 748 as well (if you're not already using it).

"'Raindance', if you like classic airliners, you'll probably also enjoy the Rick Piper HS 748 as well (if you're not already using it)."Yes, I have that one, and it's a joy. Also have the CBFS Viscount 810. It's not just passenger planes from that era though, as I've Rick Piper's AW Argosy freighter as well (apparently the RAF called their version the whistling wheelbarrow), and a Carvair.As I recall (and it's been a long time), those aircraft used to fly in & out of Liverpool (Speke, now John Lennon) Airport when I was a kid. I grew up in that city and used to cycle out to the airport on summer evenings and watch from the boundary fence not far from the flight path the planes coming & going. Happy days Big%20Grin.gif

"'Raindance', if you like classic airliners, you'll probably also enjoy the Rick Piper HS 748 as well (if you're not already using it)."Yes, I have that one, and it's a joy. Also have the CBFS Viscount 810. It's not just passenger planes from that era though, as I've Rick Piper's AW Argosy freighter as well (apparently the RAF called their version the whistling wheelbarrow), and a Carvair.As I recall (and it's been a long time), those aircraft used to fly in & out of Liverpool (Speke, now John Lennon) Airport when I was a kid. I grew up in that city and used to cycle out to the airport on summer evenings and watch from the boundary fence not far from the flight path the planes coming & going. Happy days Big%20Grin.gif
I used to live near Boscombe Down as a kid, so the sight of Argosies from the ETPS was a common sight. And a Comet, Britannia, Lightnings, etc :(

Gavin Barbara