Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hitchhiker79

Disappearing carrier wake

Hi all,I tried searching the forum for this problem but couldn't come across any threads that discussed it. In short there seems to be a glitch with the wake left by carriers in FSX whereby when the looking beyond a certain angle as you are rotating your view forward, the wake suddenly disappears from "peripheral vision". You can catch this happening when the view angle is approx 30 degrees from 12 o'clock. This tended to happen with clouds as well but this particular issue was cured to a reasonable extent by the cloud-popping fix.I was wondering if anyone else (who is into naval ops) notices this and if there is a solution to fix this glitch?Thanks!

I haven't seen that particular effect, but I have a hunch it's just that the carrier model is being culled from view. Putting it simply, FS stops drawing objects when they're no longer in the viewport. If you're rotating your view so that the carrier itself isn't in view, the wake will vanish once the ship is culled. I'm not positive that's what's happening here, but it stands to reason.

Hi Bill,What you are suggesting is very plausible. Yesterday I also noticed the same thing happens with some clouds, and it is definitely not the cloud-popping effect. Rather annoying.