Sign in to follow this  
SamSam

Texture manager

If you own multiple addons that install textures (think GEX, Orbx, REX) in the standard Texture folder of FS, there is a chance that these products overlap (and override) each other. Each product usually provide a way to backup the current texture set, but unless you track your texture installation very carrefully, you have no way to know what the current textures are and what you are actually backuping.Thinking to the future Flight, it would be interesting that these textures would be somehow managed by Flight and the access to the Texture directory (or database) would be restricted. Technically, a texture installer program would have to call some Texture manager API instead of the FileCopy API function. This would register information about the new textures (path, metadata...) in the database. The user would benefits of less duplication, since texture would never be actually copied. The textures could be organized by some criteria (i.e. world region, sky/water/land...) and selected just as one select an aicraft for a flight.What do you think ?

What's in it for Microsoft?

Guest moonbeam

I think that would a very good idea. Any improvement MS makes is in the best interest of MS and us.

Microsoft will be working within a fixed development budget. How many extra sales would this feature generate, in comparision with other features that might not be inclided as a consequence? I suspect very few.

But if Microsoft is targeting the average Joe pilot, they definitely don't want him to mess up with the FSX folders and config files. Remember that hardcore users are very lenient (since they often have good computer knownledge) compared to the average user. Microsoft is probalby not targeting the Wii community but still a much broader audience than today.In the perspective of a maket place for addons (where MS has its slice of the cake), extra sales will come from the broader audience : MS would be financially interested in such developpment.

I’m not familiar with the scenery system, but aircraft do have a simple texture structure that allows for this type of texture management.Effectively you can have many versions of the same texture stored in a variety of folders.You never-ever change a global default texture.You’d create a new texture of the same name and place it in another folder.An editable texture.cfg lists the folder sequence for the texture search and load.Once a texture is found any subsequent versions are simply ignored.Lol, on second thought this is how scenery layers works too...no? (as you suggested)I guess a few global scenery textures, like clouds and water, just can’t use scenery layers (?).That sounds very doubtful to me, but if they really can't - they should.This might not be a huge change for MS.

You are right, the way aircraft and scenery (the ones that install in the scenery folder) textures are managed is OK. But many texture products such as REX, GEX, UTX even ORBX do change (I mean overwrite) the global textures. These globals textures should be managed one way or the other. Just the same way as aircarft/scenery texture would be fine. My suggestion was probably overkill.

Suirely REX, GEX, UTX even ORBX etc should change their installation method? No add-on should ever make changes to assets it doesn't own.

No add-on should ever make changes to assets it doesn't own.
I agree 100%. But FS don't give them any other choice than replacing the global textures. That's where Flight could improve things.

I agree 100%. But FS don't give them any other choice than replacing the global textures. That's where Flight could improve things.
They have the choice to work within FSX's requirements or not do it.

Could you give me a pointer to FS requirements for global textures installation please ? I have not seen anything like that in the SDK.

Alternatives: they can provide a backup of your default textures (like GEX and REX) or they can swap in/out with the default textures (like Orbx). In the end they have to change the FSX provided textures to achieve their goal of more realistic textures. Most people can live with that.Regards, Mike Mann

Could you give me a pointer to FS requirements for global textures installation please ? I have not seen anything like that in the SDK.
That's the whole [point. The SDK explains how to add new scenery using the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder with sub-folders if necessary. That's the only method it envisages. Microsoft has no further obligation. Developers have to accept FSX and its SDK as they are. If they choose to go outside them it's at their, and their customers, risk. Do you remember all the clevver sscenery developers who went outside FS9 and its SDK and then found they had problems with FSX?.

That's the whole [point. The SDK explains how to add new scenery using the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder with sub-folders if necessary. That's the only method it envisages. Microsoft has no further obligation. Developers have to accept FSX and its SDK as they are. If they choose to go outside them it's at their, and their customers, risk. Do you remember all the clevver sscenery developers who went outside FS9 and its SDK and then found they had problems with FSX?.
Which brings us full circle back to the original post, Flight should set things up differently so that we can enjoy our improved textures in a more elegant (controlled) fashion.Regards, Mike Mann

Which brings us full circle back to the original post, Flight should set things up differently so that we can enjoy our improved textures in a more elegant (controlled) fashion.Regards, Mike Mann
It also brings it back to my original point - what's in it for Microsoft? Where would you rank this in relation to all the other improvements that have requested in "wish lists" in these forums? How many extra sales would this feature generate/ Microsoft has obviously decided that new game play elements and enhanced scenery and terrain, new aircraft and integrated content marketplace will enhance sales.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.