Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Early In Development

Let me throw in some more realistic statements...The FSX Engine has nothing wrong. Yes, it is built off of previous versions of FS, but it got the job done. It just has a few bugs that were never fixed by ACES likely due to the limits Microsoft gave them. With some patches, clean up, etc, that engine is perfect for Flight, especially since it is possible to optimize it for better performance, which, from what Microsoft has said so many times, this is happening. The new texture set and graphical improvements are just icing on the cake. The point of Flight is not to look better than FSX with add-ons. It's goal is to replace FSX with newer technology, more features, and better performance. You can only do so much with FSX before its limits begin to show. With the new hardcoded features in Flight's graphics engine, add-on developers will be able to create add-ons that beat the crap out of FSX with the same add-ons. And you'll have much better FPS...I see nothing wrong here.

Brandon Filer

The FSX Engine has nothing wrong.It just has a few bugs......especially since it is possible to optimize it for better performance,......and better performance.You can only do so much with FSX before its limits begin to show.And you'll have much better FPS...I see nothing wrong here.
As you go around the forums beating the Flight! drum, you need to make sure what you post doesn't contradict what you post.Your speculation is based upon no more information than any other speculation, it's just that you paint an improbable future for Flight, that may be unattainable. Much like those who wish to harp upon the size of autogen houses, harping upon FLight being the end all of all games ends up sounding the same to an objective person.Just like with FSX, I'll be trying to get my hands on the RTM as soon as I can. Five hours driving around to different Best Buys got me an early copy of FSX! While I will approach Flight with anticipation, my expectation levels are not going to be so high as to lead me into a depressed state should I find one thing wrong, after having read your speculation of a perfect flight simulation experience time and time again.

As you go around the forums beating the Flight! drum, you need to make sure what you post doesn't contradict what you post.Your speculation is based upon no more information than any other speculation, it's just that you paint an improbable future for Flight, that may be unattainable. Much like those who wish to harp upon the size of autogen houses, harping upon FLight being the end all of all games ends up sounding the same to an objective person.Just like with FSX, I'll be trying to get my hands on the RTM as soon as I can. Five hours driving around to different Best Buys got me an early copy of FSX! While I will approach Flight with anticipation, my expectation levels are not going to be so high as to lead me into a depressed state should I find one thing wrong, after having read your speculation of a perfect flight simulation experience time and time again.
Reread my post...you don't seem to get my point. You have just bolded parts of it that were not meant to go right after one another.What I meant is, the FSX engine has a few bugs, yes. You can only do so much with it regarding add-on development. Flight will likely add the better performance that FSX cannot offer, fix the bugs, clean the code, and add more graphical features that give the add-on developers more options. I suggest buying a copy of the current edition of PC Pilot Magazine. The Flight article has some interesting info...oh wait, you don't give a crap about Flight...nevermind. Big%20Grin.gif

Brandon Filer

I really think that they have probably been working on FLIGHT for like a year... not much more than that though. And maybe ACES had already begun the planning stage of FLIGHT, or even started working on the engine its self! So maybe, MS just picked up where ACES left off? We don't know to be honest, but that is my best guess. rolleyes.gifJamie ♥
Within couple of months of closing ACES, MS rehired many ACES programmers back to work under MGS. Exactly at the same time they had job openings posted on their web site for programmers to work on a "flying game". That was 2 1/2 years ago. Also please note that it has been already 8 months since they showed us Flight. So what makes you think they started just a year ago? There is no way this is in early development. I don't care what MS claims, but they would not have shown us their work if they were just starting on it. Once a developer starts leaking pictures and videos, most of what they are showing you is what they are confident will stay in the final product. (Don't bring up the magic screen of FSX with god rays, that was not an in game shot and was supposed to be an artist's rendition of what DX10 might look like. They are much closer to beta than you think.

Reread my post......oh wait, you don't give a crap about Flight...nevermind. Big%20Grin.gif
I placed in bold the pertinent part. If you read a little slower, comprehension can improve. Like where I said "Just like with FSX, I'll be trying to get my hands on the RTM as soon as I can." Is that in anyway ambiguous?You can't say there is nothing wrong with something and later start saying it has bugs and needs performance tweaks, etc., etc. Unless you planning a career in politics? :( Enthusiasm is a good thing. Letting it get away from you to the point of not being rational and coherent is something else. Just as in past releases, Flight will disappoint people in different ways. There will be bugs, performance may not be what people want who are addicted to SLIDERS FULL RIGHT! But for a vast majority of people, such as myself, Flight should be an improvement and continue to bring fun and excitement to our lives. It is an entertainment product, despite the levels of participation some people take.

I placed in bold the pertinent part. If you read a little slower, comprehension can improve. Like where I said "Just like with FSX, I'll be trying to get my hands on the RTM as soon as I can." Is that in anyway ambiguous?You can't say there is nothing wrong with something and later start saying it has bugs and needs performance tweaks, etc., etc. Unless you planning a career in politics? :( Enthusiasm is a good thing. Letting it get away from you to the point of not being rational and coherent is something else. Just as in past releases, Flight will disappoint people in different ways. There will be bugs, performance may not be what people want who are addicted to SLIDERS FULL RIGHT! But for a vast majority of people, such as myself, Flight should be an improvement and continue to bring fun and excitement to our lives. It is an entertainment product, despite the levels of participation some people take.
Don't take him seriously. He just has jumps on anyone who dares to criticize Flight. He must be the lead developer for Flight.

Speed reading is bad...never do it. Big%20Grin.gif I have reread your original post. Now I get your point.
Don't take him seriously. He just has jumps on anyone who dares to criticize Flight. He must be the lead developer for Flight.
You wish.Flight is ugly. It will never succeed. Microsoft is doing a terrible job. I will never buy this new sim.Happy now? Big%20Grin.gif

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.