Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Flashing ground textures

I have this effect when landing at certain FS9 airports. For instance I just landed at KBOS (from Bostonv2.zip - by George Grimshaw) - and am met with what you can see in the video link.The odd thing is that I do not get this when I start at the airport, nor if I save the flight (+ flickering textures) after landing (AutoSave) and reload it. Said 'flickering textures' are now stable.If I remove the file ground.bgl, then there is no conflict and so no flickering - I just get the 'snowy' texture which you can see in the video. But the ground.bgl file contains a lot of information - many different bitmaps (I see after decompiling it) and the airport looks awful without it, so disabling that file is not an option.Can anyone help with this please - it is a real pain to end up confronting this ugly error upon touchdown. Thanks,http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v68/martinlest/?action=view&current=KBOS.mp4Thanks,Martin

Hi Martin,Which KBOS are you using - Fly Tampa? Although the appearance and colour of the textures coming through is certainly odd, the first thing I usually check for with unusual textures breaking through at an airport is for duplicate AFCAD files. Worth trying if you have not already done it!Bill

Hi. I don't know if this is FlyTampa or not to be honest. If they made it available as freeware for a while, then it may well be, but I haven't bought a version of KBOS as far as I recall. I downloaded it from Flightsim.com quite some time back - it was Bostonv2.zip (plus an update), but the file is not on Flightsim.com any more, though there are plenty of references to it having been there if you Google. The ReadMe file offers help from "george@flytampa.com" (which would suggest it IS FlyTampa's KBOS of course) - but below that it says the scenery is freeware... so I am a bit confused.This flickering is also sometimes caused by aprons/taxiways/runways being set at a slightly different elevation from the airport AFCAD. But in this case they seem to match perfectly, so I didn't try with a flatten file. I could give it a go I suppose, just in case.I have checked for duplicate AFCADs but only find this one and the default AP******.bgl file. Furthermore this is really hard to troubleshoot, because if I slew the aircraft into a position a mile or two from KBOS and then fly in, all is fine. It only seems to happen at the end of a 'proper' flight. Martin

.. also tried flying in to KBOS from a local airfield. Still no flickering. I wonder what triggers it?

Martin - you got "fscontrails" installed?I had similar flickering and it turned out that fscontrails was the culprit...just my two cents...alex

Yes, I do. I am amazed that that should be a possible culprit (where would be the connection?) but I can try removing it. Thanks.

Another culprit for ground textures flickering at KBOS and many other airports is Manhattan scenery by Aerosoft. Do you have it installed?

James Goggi

Yes, I do. Curiouser and curiouser. I've Googled this and found some threads, which I will read. Thanks very much for the leads,Martin

Martin, as far as I know, the problem is related to one of the Manhattan scenery bgl files (something like ny-3d.bgl, if I remember well) and as of today it has not been solved, Aerosoft has not been able to sort it out. Anyway, if you find something useful about it, I'd be grateful if you could post it, since I and many others have the same problem and it's a pity to have Manhattan disabled.Thank you,James

James Goggi

Martin - you got "fscontrails" installed?I had similar flickering and it turned out that fscontrails was the culprit...just my two cents...alex
Big Hugs for you Alex :)I've been suffering with bad flickering ground textures at virtually all add-on airports for a while now. Thought I'd never be able to solve it.Read you post.. disabled Contrails Pro.Sorted :)