Sign in to follow this  
clum

Speedbrakes not up

Been putting in quite a few flights and can safely say that this version is virtually perfect. Only have one small issue and a separate little niggle to ask about.The issue is that every single time upon touchdown, the FO announces that the "speedbrake NOT up". The problem lies with that fact that the speedbrake is in fact deployed each time so his report is incorrect. Spoilers are armed before the landing checklist and he accepts that they are armed during that checklist. I have the spoilers configured to a throttle axis through FSUIPC so suspect that there may be an issue somewhere here as I know the iFly spoilers are handled slightly differently to other addons.As for the "little niggle", it's to do with the FO pressing the STD option to the baro altimeter when crossing the transition levels/alt. As both the pilot/co-pilot altimeters are directly connected gauges in the iFly, when he presses his, it also activates mine. The problem that it causes me is that in UK/EU airspace, it's standard practice to set your altimeter to either STD or local pressure when CLEARED to a FL or altitude, rather than the point where you actually cross. If I do this, the FO then presses his button again when crossing the transition level/alt, which means that the altimeter reads standard again. This caught me out the other day and I ended up flying an entire approach into Stansted whilst on standard pressure. It's not really a huge issue, but should the FO really be touching the captains instruments without command like that anyway? As they're interconnected due to the limitation of the simulation, perhaps it could be changed so that the FO just leaves the altimeters alone, at least unless specifically asked.Anyway, best version yet hands down.:(

Been putting in quite a few flights and can safely say that this version is virtually perfect. Only have one small issue and a separate little niggle to ask about.The issue is that every single time upon touchdown, the FO announces that the "speedbrake NOT up". The problem lies with that fact that the speedbrake is in fact deployed each time so his report is incorrect. Spoilers are armed before the landing checklist and he accepts that they are armed during that checklist. I have the spoilers configured to a throttle axis through FSUIPC so suspect that there may be an issue somewhere here as I know the iFly spoilers are handled slightly differently to other addons.As for the "little niggle", it's to do with the FO pressing the STD option to the baro altimeter when crossing the transition levels/alt. As both the pilot/co-pilot altimeters are directly connected gauges in the iFly, when he presses his, it also activates mine. The problem that it causes me is that in UK/EU airspace, it's standard practice to set your altimeter to either STD or local pressure when CLEARED to a FL or altitude, rather than the point where you actually cross. If I do this, the FO then presses his button again when crossing the transition level/alt, which means that the altimeter reads standard again. This caught me out the other day and I ended up flying an entire approach into Stansted whilst on standard pressure. It's not really a huge issue, but should the FO really be touching the captains instruments without command like that anyway? As they're interconnected due to the limitation of the simulation, perhaps it could be changed so that the FO just leaves the altimeters alone, at least unless specifically asked.Anyway, best version yet hands down.:(
Hi Callum,Glad you like it :( Yes, as you mentioned, the STD button is interconnected in the iFly. I brought this to the iFly dev's attention, but I don't think there is any plan to change it on their end.We'll see what we can do in the future.Spoilers: I'll check, but it may be associated with your hardware setup.Best,

Cheers Bryan....just read a post on the ifly forum yesterday and meant to post back here. Seems that there is an issue with the spoilers when mapped to an axis. Despite the lever showing as deployed in the VC, the spoilers aren't actually going up on the aircraft. I'd just never noticed this before fs2crew was installed as I never use the external views. Steve from iFly is working on a fix apparently so it should be fine.Just another couple of tiny things I noticed yesterdsy which aren't really bugs but just wanted to ask anyway. The FO announces "reverse green" on touchdown, even if you haven't selected reverse yet. He's also very quick to call "positive rate" compared to other versions of voice commander. Pretty sure my main gear was still on the ground a couple of times infact! Also just wanted to check if it was correct procedure that the lower DU is turned off prior to take-off in the 737? I'm no 737 procedural expert, but certainly in other types, the extended engine display is left on the lower DU until well into the climbout.

Cheers Bryan....just read a post on the ifly forum yesterday and meant to post back here. Seems that there is an issue with the spoilers when mapped to an axis. Despite the lever showing as deployed in the VC, the spoilers aren't actually going up on the aircraft. I'd just never noticed this before fs2crew was installed as I never use the external views. Steve from iFly is working on a fix apparently so it should be fine.Just another couple of tiny things I noticed yesterdsy which aren't really bugs but just wanted to ask anyway. The FO announces "reverse green" on touchdown, even if you haven't selected reverse yet. He's also very quick to call "positive rate" compared to other versions of voice commander. Pretty sure my main gear was still on the ground a couple of times infact! Also just wanted to check if it was correct procedure that the lower DU is turned off prior to take-off in the 737? I'm no 737 procedural expert, but certainly in other types, the extended engine display is left on the lower DU until well into the climbout.
Hi Callum,Reverse Green: May also be associated with your hardware. Positive Rate: I'd have to check my code, but it's always played a couple seconds after lift off for me.Lower DU: Should come off during the Before Taxi flow. It should stay off for the rest of the flight until engine shutdown.Cheers,

I'll have a check on the reverse, but doubt it's to do with hardware as I don't have it mapped to any axis. Positive rate; there may not be any issue really, it's just that it seems noticeably quicker on the uptake than the other versions I'm used to. If I can confirm it happening when gear still on the ground I'll report back.

Hello Bryan!I should also agree with Mr. Callum on the matter of reverse' premature calling. Very much appriciated if you could check that please.And some more questions from my side:1. There is a long list of voice commands in the manual that are presumably being used in the VC, but which are not included in none of the flight tutorials, described in the manual. Are all that commands really working? For example, I tried to give the command to start or shut down the APU and no any reaction from the FO followed.2. While on the final approach and reading landing checklist there is a last item "Flaps", the readback is "Thirty, green light". I was repeating my readback many times and with different accents (American, UK, other different types my mouth can pronounce), but all was in vain - FO hasn't understood that. But thus all other commands and readbacks he understands quite well. What could be the reason for that?Regards,Vladimir

Hello Bryan!I should also agree with Mr. Callum on the matter of reverse' premature calling. Very much appriciated if you could check that please.And some more questions from my side:1. There is a long list of voice commands in the manual that are presumably being used in the VC, but which are not included in none of the flight tutorials, described in the manual. Are all that commands really working? For example, I tried to give the command to start or shut down the APU and no any reaction from the FO followed.2. While on the final approach and reading landing checklist there is a last item "Flaps", the readback is "Thirty, green light". I was repeating my readback many times and with different accents (American, UK, other different types my mouth can pronounce), but all was in vain - FO hasn't understood that. But thus all other commands and readbacks he understands quite well. What could be the reason for that?Regards,Vladimir
Hi Vlad,1. A lot of commands only work while airborne. They're not used a part of 'normal' options, but they're their in case you want them.2. You need to say "Flaps 30 green light". You accidentally forgot the 'flaps' part.Cheers,

Hello,i´ve the same problem: my spoilers are connected to an axis of the saitek throttle quadrant. The control of the spoilers works fine but the spoilers don´t come out on landing. I´ve tried a several times: they always come out when i´ve deleted the axis assignemt and they don´t come out, when the axe is assigned. It seems like a problem of the ifly model. Perhaps anybody here can find a solution? Thanks a lot in advance!GreetingsAndreas

Hello,i´ve the same problem: my spoilers are connected to an axis of the saitek throttle quadrant. The control of the spoilers works fine but the spoilers don´t come out on landing. I´ve tried a several times: they always come out when i´ve deleted the axis assignemt and they don´t come out, when the axe is assigned. It seems like a problem of the ifly model. Perhaps anybody here can find a solution? Thanks a lot in advance!GreetingsAndreas
Please post that in the iFly Support forum.The iFly developer will need to investigate as that's an iFly issue.Best,

Have a look at this thread in the iFly support forum and follow the steps there for proper axis assignment for the spoilers. I have Saitek throttles as well with the spoilers assigned to one of the axis and have no issues and it seems to work fine for the other users as well.

Hi Vlad,2. You need to say "Flaps 30 green light". You accidentally forgot the 'flaps' part.Cheers,
Thank you Bryan, you were right, it was my mistake missing the first word.One more question: in LDS-767 it was the command options - Autothrottle and Autopilot off. It's quite convenient commands to disarm both functions when executing manual approach and landing. Are these commands just accidentally missed in the iFly737 or not included intentionally?Thank you and regards.Vladimir

Thank you Bryan, you were right, it was my mistake missing the first word.One more question: in LDS-767 it was the command options - Autothrottle and Autopilot off. It's quite convenient commands to disarm both functions when executing manual approach and landing. Are these commands just accidentally missed in the iFly737 or not included intentionally?Thank you and regards.Vladimir
Hi Vlad,Even though it's not realistic per se, I'm going to add those commands in the next update.Why not realistic?Because both buttons are located on the yoke/throttle, so you wouldn't command the FO to do it.. you'd just do it.Cheers,

Hi Vlad,Even though it's not realistic per se, I'm going to add those commands in the next update.Why not realistic?Because both buttons are located on the yoke/throttle, so you wouldn't command the FO to do it.. you'd just do it.Cheers,
Ok, thanks. One more question: I'm flying with FSPassengers and its failures activated, that are happening from time to time. Have you ever thought to update your product with crew procedures in emergency? Btw it would be very much appriciated for all your products. I do understand it is a separate big and hard work, but I guess it could be released as standalone and payware update.Regards,Vladimir

Ok, thanks. One more question: I'm flying with FSPassengers and its failures activated, that are happening from time to time. Have you ever thought to update your product with crew procedures in emergency? Btw it would be very much appriciated for all your products. I do understand it is a separate big and hard work, but I guess it could be released as standalone and payware update.Regards,Vladimir
Hi Vlad,I've thought about it but the concerns are this:1. Most users have their hands full just going from A to B. Failures generally appeal to less than 1 percent of the user base.2. And the biggest one of them all: The iFly doesn't model failures, so FS2Crew can't model them accordingly.Cheers,

Maybe this is the solution for this problem: Simon Holderness wrote in his post http://forum.avsim.net/topic/347021-comparisons-to-rl/page__st__75"The PF will arm the speedbrake by pulling it out of it's detent until the 'Speed Brake Armed' light illuminates. Surprisingly, even if you forget this action, as soon as you pull the thrust levers into reverse on the ground, they'll come up anyway. Clever Boeing!"Thanks for that, it gaves me an idea how to solve the problem. Using Saitek and set reverse thrust on the throttle I made this cofiguration in FSUIPC14693182.jpg Very important to check "Key press to repeat while held". Next I used Key Pressed to link the Reverser with the Spoilers. 86074250.jpg That´s all. Like IRL, the Spoilers will be deployed if using reverse thrust. The FS2Crew FO will know recognice the spoilers are deployed. And outside of the airplane they will.Thanks again to Simon Holderness and his very interesting report.