Sign in to follow this  
777flyer101

Building a new PC

hello everybody,I am planning to build a new PC for FSX and I want to run it at max with addons like ORBX PNW, PMDG 747, REX 2.0, UTX etc. etc. I am considering the following components for it:CPU: Intel core i7 2600K (sandybridge) @ 3.40 GHZMotherboard: unsure about it, maybe intel DH67BLRAM: 4 GB DDR-3 (corsair XMS3)HDD: Seagate 500GBCase: Coolermaster HAF-932the problem is that I am unable to decide which video card to get, I am considering either any of these: GTX 560ti, GTX 570 and GTX 580 or HD 6870, HD 6950 and HD 6970. I don't know which one should I get amongst these six video cards, Help please? I will be playing at 1280 X 1024 screen resolution. also I will never overclock my PC despite of water cooling (yes, I will be applying it).will my PC be able to max out FSX with these addons?and please tell me, do motherboards affect the performance? like one listed above!any help would be appreciated.EDIT: I will also get corsair TX750 Watts PSUregards,Prakhar Tripathi

Guest Tamadeez

Hmm if not overclocking why have k version CPU and why watercool. If you want to max fsx performance you must overclock. Those processors beg to be OC'd. I would instead get 2500k. Asus P8P68 mobo. Oh and get GTX 570. Nvidia likes FSX and bang buck GPU IMO. At that low res prolly way overkill but utilized by newer games so meh. Oh in regards to mobo there are pro version, deluxe etc just research and see what is best for you. Although I'm sure all models of that mobo OC nicely. P.S For HDD get WD caviar black or Samsung F3. Go ahead question me if you want. :)

What do you mean when you say 'can it run at Max'? You can put all the sliders to the right on a P4 and it will run at max. It won't run very well, but it will run at max. If you want to throw money at your rig for bragging rights, then the 6990 is more expensive then the GTX590 so it must be better. On the other hand, if you want the best FSX performance for your money, then the 560Ti is more then FSX can utilise so is good enough, but change your processor to an i7-2500k and overclock it to at least 4.4GHz. Why are you sticking with 1280x1024? You can get a 22" HD monitor (1920x1080) for a lot less then the cost 560Ti and it and your existing card make a bigger difference to your immersion then any of the new cards you mention used with your old monitor.

why not gtx 590vivek
Because that card is pointless for FSX. Way overkill, and it's a twin GPU card. I would say with fair certainty that a 570 would give you better perf in FSX than a 590. Not to be harsh, but for FSX, that card is a horrendous waste of money.

Guest Tamadeez
Because that card is pointless for FSX. Way overkill, and it's a twin GPU card. I would say with fair certainty that a 570 would give you better perf in FSX than a 590. Not to be harsh, but for FSX, that card is a horrendous waste of money.
Life lesson. Never get cards that have two physical GPU's in one encasement. Don't ask Just accept.

:( Yeah, pretty strong there right?I would just really feel bad if he spent all that money. Don't worry Vivek, I don't bite. :(

The i7-2600k chip was borne to overclock ... literally.So you should aim to do that.Operating System ... Id suggest 64bit Win7 ProfessionalPersonal preference .. Gigabyte or Asus p67 Motherboard (with whatever features you need)Personal preference: I'd go for 8Gb of reasonably fast RAM (2 x 4Gb) -- FSX won't use it all, but the Windows environment will.Consider an SSD for the OS if you can afford it.Consider a separate drive for dedicated FSXI'd suggest a factory superclocked GTX580 (don't get a dual GPU card for FSX) -- eVGA have some good models.Contrary to what Paul said about his "P4", your system will be able to stretch a graphics card in FSX, particularly if you use higher Anti-Aliasing and Texture filtering settings.Running on max will depend on what scenery you are running ... but full Water and Bloom settings are not likely to be flyable in all circumstances. Default scenery on "Max" is easy ... detailed autogen and hi-resolution textures etc will be more taxing ... and might require more moderate settings.But you will be on the edge of what is "possible" with this system! Good luck.

I agree with pretty much everything hcornea said (even though he forgot to sign his name) but perhaps I was not clear enough about the monitor. Get a decent widescreen monitor! There is not much point in paying huge money to run 8xAA, super over double scan process GPU to improve the image in a a tiny space like 1280 x 1024. Trust me on this, or buy one on sale or return if necessary, but once you try a PMDG VC on a widescreen monitor, you will find it very, very hard to go back to 1280x1024. In my personal opinion, changeing monitor from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 has had a much bigger impact on my simming then graphics card update I have ever made.

Boy, I did everything wrong here. I got the 990X and 590 card. Let's see how it compares. I'll report the results next week. All I know my existing PC crashed everytime I flew the PDMG 747. I know the 737 would have had the same results - time fo an upgrade.

Paul Gugliotta

I don't see the value of a GTX580 for FSX. Never did, but after my upgrade from a GTX460 1GB to this OCed GTX480 I still can't run any higher IQ without a significant performance hit in bad weather. 8xS or 8xSQ it is.We all know GPU's don't help with performance in FSX, and until there's a card that's capable of 16xS or some combined mode including 4x MSAA it makes absolutely no sense to me to get anything better than a GTX460 or 560. If you want to go 3 monitors you can always add another one in SLI down the road and you're good to go.Then there's the 2500K vs 2600K thing and Hyperthreading, also beaten to death. get the 2500K for FSX.But most importantly, with that motherboard (H67) tou won't be able to overclock the 2600K / 2500K, get a P67 mobo

:( Yeah, pretty strong there right?I would just really feel bad if he spent all that money. Don't worry Vivek, I don't bite. :(
Thanks matebloody 590 costs around 866 us dollars in india -lot of money,your advise helped me save a bit,vivek

I think I should get a gigabyte h67a-ud3h motherboard and a gtx 580. any suggestions?

Thanks matebloody 590 costs around 866 us dollars in india -lot of money,your advise helped me save a bit,vivek
I too live in India, in ahmedabad. yes, the 590 is an expensive graphics card but in india you can bargain and bring the price down.