Sign in to follow this  
777flyer101

Building a new PC

here is what i am gettingi7 2600kasus p8h67-vI may use my old 9800gt, any opinions? cause i heard that fsx is cpu intensive.at max, I can get 5770 or equivalent nvidia graphics card, maybe gtx 460, but i still have no price quote, i will keep up with you guys and if the price in my locality is less, I will look for any other, more powerful card.4gb dd3 1333mhz or 1600mhz?antec 900corsair tx750

I may also buy a noctua nh d14 but still, I won't overclock because that will apparently void the warranty and if somehow ruined or burnt, I won't be having any other options rather than buying a new one.as you all can see that I changed the motherboard to a better model, yes, its a H67 chipset and the reason behind my need is that I want to take the advantage of the inbuilt GPU on the sandybridge and most probably I may get better performance even with a weak graphics card like 9800gt. i.e HD 3000(sandy's gpu) + 9800GT = 5750. why bother getting a P67 when it is all meant for overclocking, logic, huh.as for graphics card, i will prefer my old 9800gt, but still I don't have any price quote in my locality, if affordable, I may upgrade to a GTX 460. I have one question that do AMD radeon cards allow us to force Anti Aliasing (AA) like nvidia's do and also with no performance hit. If so, then I may get 5770 which is a lot cheaper and too a good performer.I may have mentioned that I will be using addons like REX, ORBX etc. so my initial concern is towards performance for which I need a better graphics card side by side, but would my 9800gt be able to handle these addons or would it be nothing than a bottleneck? I am also anxious about weather and scenery sliders, I want to set both of them at max and yes I will not use traffic which is considered as a major performance hit.any suggestions would be appreciated?regards,Prakhar

I may have mentioned that I will be using addons like REX, ORBX etc. so my initial concern is towards performance for which I need a better graphics card side by side, but would my 9800gt be able to handle these addons or would it be nothing than a bottleneck?
Prakesh, My experience from making, and beta testing the addons you mention and are intending to use is that yes it will be a bottleneck.A graphics card is obviously very easy to upgrade though, so when you do it it will extend the excitement of your new system build for longer -- and give you a true point of comparison.The same can be said for overclocking ... which you should eventually consider to get what you are after.Always a bit nerve-racking the prospect of frying your new toy ... but with care, and research it is fairly easily done.Good luck.

I may also buy a noctua nh d14 but still, I won't overclock because that will apparently void the warranty and if somehow ruined or burnt, I won't be having any other options rather than buying a new one.as you all can see that I changed the motherboard to a better model, yes, its a H67 chipset and the reason behind my need is that I want to take the advantage of the inbuilt GPU on the sandybridge and most probably I may get better performance even with a weak graphics card like 9800gt. i.e HD 3000(sandy's gpu) + 9800GT = 5750. why bother getting a P67 when it is all meant for overclocking, logic, huh.as for graphics card, i will prefer my old 9800gt, but still I don't have any price quote in my locality, if affordable, I may upgrade to a GTX 460. I have one question that do AMD radeon cards allow us to force Anti Aliasing (AA) like nvidia's do and also with no performance hit. If so, then I may get 5770 which is a lot cheaper and too a good performer.I may have mentioned that I will be using addons like REX, ORBX etc. so my initial concern is towards performance for which I need a better graphics card side by side, but would my 9800gt be able to handle these addons or would it be nothing than a bottleneck? I am also anxious about weather and scenery sliders, I want to set both of them at max and yes I will not use traffic which is considered as a major performance hit.any suggestions would be appreciated?regards,Prakhar
Hi Prakhar, I see you still haven't learnt to change your mind. I am afraid that what you are talking about now is really not very sensible. You are adamant that you will not overclock (for reasons that do not make sense) and yet you insist on buying the K chip and paying the premium Intel charges only because it can be overclocked. You then come out with this B.S. about using a 9800gt or the onchip graphics in the same sentence where you say you want to use REX and ORBX? Why are you wasting your money and our time in this way?

Were does the ATI/AMD hate come from..?I run a single 6970 with 4 monitors x3 for the main screen 5760x1080 and a single above for maps and such like. All settings are at the max, with the exception of the cars and boats etc and i get really good peformance even when using aircraft like the J41.I do run my CPU overclocked and water cooled but i have never bought a Nvidia card making me think i missed something?

Ian R Tyldesley

I just built a new computer containing:ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboardI7 - 2500K 3.3GHz (OC to 4.7GHz)Geforce Nvidia 8800GTX OC Corsair Dominator DDR3 6Gb PC12500 WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gbs/SATACorsair A70 coolerUltra 650w Power supplyWin7 64bitMost settings are to the right, no trafficJS41 runs about 35fpsPMDG 747 runs about 50fps to 70fpsDeault aircraft tend to run between 70fps and 150+fps

You'd get even better performance if you installed a new graphics card.

Prakhar - you really need to consider listening to those giving you good advice. I've been in and out of these forums seeing what works best and by far I'm happy with what I've come up with. Overclocking is easy with the ASUS P8P67 and the 2500k. My computer is up to 4.7ghz on air and temps stay below 70c with full load on the system. My idle temps are in the low 30s. Dont waste your money on something that will give you mediocre results.

Hi Prakhar, I see you still haven't learnt to change your mind. I am afraid that what you are talking about now is really not very sensible. You are adamant that you will not overclock (for reasons that do not make sense) and yet you insist on buying the K chip and paying the premium Intel charges only because it can be overclocked. You then come out with this B.S. about using a 9800gt or the onchip graphics in the same sentence where you say you want to use REX and ORBX? Why are you wasting your money and our time in this way?
I am hesitating to overclock because I will be getting a H67 motherboard and they have fussy overclocking support. The reason why I want H67 is because it can use the HD3000 graphics and too have onboard video. I want k series chip because if someday I will change my motherboard with P67 ones I won't have to spend additional money on CPU.

Do you realise that you can't add GPU's performance?

HD 3000(sandy's gpu) + 9800GT = 5750
It doesn't work like that, matter of fact it's not possible to use them both at a time. It's one or the other in H67And in H67 you can't overclock, it's not fussy or anything. You simply cannot overclock at all.

Do you realise that you can't add GPU's performance?It doesn't work like that, matter of fact it's not possible to use them both at a time. It's one or the other in H67And in H67 you can't overclock, it's not fussy or anything. You simply cannot overclock at all.
and Z68 motherboards are now released, do you know their functioning?

Hey Fella's,Thanks for all the useful info on hardware & performance with FSX, this has been one of the most useful threads I've read in a long time on here.Especially because it also pertains to the complexities of running PMDG a/c along with things like ORBX scenery and airports.I too am contemplating an upgrade and will be putting together a list of components that I think would go together, so would appreciate some input as well.I'm having a huge problem choosing between video cards too, but I think this thread has solved that one.Another issue is that of motherboards. I've been burnt by a couple of bad Asus boards in the past and really like to look of the newer Gigabyte P67 boards like the UD4, UD5 and especially the UD7 - but its damn expensive. The one thing I don't like about the gigabyte boards is the lack of UEFI bios as opposed to the newer ASUS bios. But then the aesthetic issue of awful looking heatsinks on the Asus P67 boards has me steering clear.I'd be interested to know others viewpoints on what they would choose in a motherboard for FSX - if indeed it makes a difference?Cheers, David StewartPerth, Western Australia.

David Stewart, Dianella, Western Australia.

New PC coming one day! | In the meantime I fly with; AMD X64 1.2Ghz Dual Core | 6Gb Ram | 6600GT | Old case | FSX | REX | Superbug FA-18F | Capt Sim 767 | ORBX Aust Scenery |

Jandakot | PC12 & numerous others.

hello everybody,I am planning to build a new PC for FSX and I want to run it at max with addons like ORBX PNW, PMDG 747, REX 2.0, UTX etc. etc. I am considering the following components for it:CPU: Intel core i7 2600K (sandybridge) @ 3.40 GHZMotherboard: unsure about it, maybe intel DH67BLRAM: 4 GB DDR-3 (corsair XMS3)HDD: Seagate 500GBCase: Coolermaster HAF-932the problem is that I am unable to decide which video card to get, I am considering either any of these: GTX 560ti, GTX 570 and GTX 580 or HD 6870, HD 6950 and HD 6970. I don't know which one should I get amongst these six video cards, Help please? I will be playing at 1280 X 1024 screen resolution. also I will never overclock my PC despite of water cooling (yes, I will be applying it).will my PC be able to max out FSX with these addons?and please tell me, do motherboards affect the performance? like one listed above!any help would be appreciated.EDIT: I will also get corsair TX750 Watts PSUregards,Prakhar Tripathi
Hi Prakhar,I got this config some weeks ago:MB: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe CPU: Pentium i7 2600K 3.4 GHz. @ 4.8 GHz.Cooler Noctua NH-D14 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Corsair TX 950 W. 1x300 GB. WD Velociraptor 1x150 GB. WD Velociraptor Gigabyte nVidia GTX 560 OC TI, 1 GB DDR5 Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 22"Actually, I only updated the MB, CPU, memory and Graphic card, and I bought the 560, as you can see. The results are great.You can see here (take in mind that the stutters are from Fraps, all sliders are full right, traffic at 65%, and I applied the Bojote's tweaks):
I hope this help.Gerard Cabezón

Gerard Cabezón
Check my Youtube's Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardius

and Z68 motherboards are now released, do you know their functioning?
Z68 is a mix of H67 and P67. Both the IGP and discrete(s) GPU can be used, an allows overclocking. It also has a new feature called SSD caching
Hey Fella's,Thanks for all the useful info on hardware & performance with FSX, this has been one of the most useful threads I've read in a long time on here.Especially because it also pertains to the complexities of running PMDG a/c along with things like ORBX scenery and airports.I too am contemplating an upgrade and will be putting together a list of components that I think would go together, so would appreciate some input as well.I'm having a huge problem choosing between video cards too, but I think this thread has solved that one.Another issue is that of motherboards. I've been burnt by a couple of bad Asus boards in the past and really like to look of the newer Gigabyte P67 boards like the UD4, UD5 and especially the UD7 - but its damn expensive. The one thing I don't like about the gigabyte boards is the lack of UEFI bios as opposed to the newer ASUS bios. But then the aesthetic issue of awful looking heatsinks on the Asus P67 boards has me steering clear.I'd be interested to know others viewpoints on what they would choose in a motherboard for FSX - if indeed it makes a difference?Cheers, David StewartPerth, Western Australia.
The motherboard of choice depends on what features you need. Are you OCing? Plan on going SLI/XFire? Getting a UD7 (or a Maximus Extreme) that is a board with a NF200 chip that allows 3-SLI and using it with a single card or a dual SLI is a waste of money.There're other options apart of Asus and Gigabyte. If you don't want Asus and find Gigabyte boards expensive, MSI makes great boards too. A P67-C45, P67-G55, P67-G65 for example

this is most probably the final configuration for my PC:CPU: Intel core i7 2600K @3.40 GHZMotherboard: Asus P8H67-VRAM: 4GB DDR-3 1333mhzCPU case: Antec nine hundred (maybe 902)PSU: Corsair TX series TX750 (750 W) PSUGraphics card: I will use my old 9800GT. though unsure, I am still anxious about GTX 460.CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14I am assuming that upgrading the graphics card won't have any drastic improvement in performance hence 9800gt and when talked about FSX, the CPU power should compensate that graphics card bottleneck. Although I still need a week to decide whether to go for gtx 460 or not, I need some suggestions but if seriously not necessary I may better stick with my 9800gt. Apart from graphics card, all other components are my final choice.regards,Prakhar Tripathi

Hi Prakhar,I got this config some weeks ago:MB: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe CPU: Pentium i7 2600K 3.4 GHz. @ 4.8 GHz.Cooler Noctua NH-D14 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Corsair TX 950 W. 1x300 GB. WD Velociraptor 1x150 GB. WD Velociraptor Gigabyte nVidia GTX 560 OC TI, 1 GB DDR5 Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 22"Actually, I only updated the MB, CPU, memory and Graphic card, and I bought the 560, as you can see. The results are great.You can see here (take in mind that the stutters are from Fraps, all sliders are full right, traffic at 65%, and I applied the Bojote's tweaks):
I hope this help.Gerard Cabezón
nice video, amazingly smooth.