Hi guys, I´m now finalizing the parts for my SB upgrade and yesterday I thought about my cooling system again. Currently I use a Scythe Mugen 2 as CPU cooler (Works quite well and is very silent.) and an Cooler Master 120mm case fan (Don´t know which one.). I think my temps are a bit too high despite of the CPU cooler. In this moment, my system is idle, I get temps between 35°C and 42°C and in FSX it hardly hits the 60°C. I think this can be better. I tracked this problem down to my rear case fan, which is delivering too less air than my cooler needs. (The big cooler block sits just behind the case fan.)Now looked arround the net for an adequat fan, but I´m completely lost in this shere mass of available ones. Maybe you could help me out with some advice?

I'd say those temps are on par for that cooler and a Core 2 Quad.EDIT: And what the heck is that under my avatar, now?! That's tacky!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'd say those temps are on par for that cooler and a Core 2 Quad.EDIT: And what the heck is that under my avatar, now?! That's tacky!
So you think the temp´s are ok? But will they be ok for SB?And yes, these little stars are pritty neat.

Well, from what everyone is claiming, the SB chips are cooler then her predecessors. I think you'll be alright! Do you have the 1155/1366 retention brackets?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well, from what everyone is claiming, the SB chips are cooler then her predecessors. I think you'll be alright! Do you have the 1155/1366 retention brackets?
Ah, Ok, so everything is allright. And yes, these brackest have been shipped with the cooler. Today I´ll gonna order my things. I hope they´ll come before Saturday so that this day will be my building day.

Ah, Ok, so everything is allright. And yes, these brackest have been shipped with the cooler. Today I´ll gonna order my things. I hope they´ll come before Saturday so that this day will be my building day.
:Party: viel Glück!

I attached a secondary identical rear case fan to the existing one, like a fan sandwich, that brings it so close to the Scythe heat sink that it's like a push-pull configuration for the cooler, and makes it a little more efficient. Was looking for a second Scythe fan to attach on the other side, but couldn't get hold of one with the right clamps...Bjorn

In my experience, having a push/pull on a heat sink is less effective than having good case airflow. Since air cooling solutions rely so heavily on ambient/case temperatures, it's better to tackle the problem of case airflow first with quality case fans. Just my two cents for those who haven't given it a thought. I realize push/pull helps in situations where people have a proper set up!Speaking of proper set ups. Bjorn, where'd you order your TM Warthog from? I'm thinking of getting one for DCS A-10C

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I second your opinion on case flow, no use having stale warm air blowing everso efficiently through the heat sink. I can recomend my case, though not the biggest (see sig.)I got the "Hog" from flightstore.co.uk (I'm in Denmark), but you'd be cheaper off ordering "locally". Can't stress enough how well that hardware goes with the DCS A-10!B

as we´re talking about push/pull setups, this is how mine is installed: The air is sucked into the case (Cooler Master Sileo 500) through the rear intake fan and floats through the massive heatsink of my cooler. It´s fan is attached at the bottom and pushed the air out of the heatsink down to my grafic card. Should I change anything on this airflow regarding to my SB upgrade ( Parts are on the way. Expect them to be here tomorow.).

as we´re talking about push/pull setups, this is how mine is installed: The air is sucked into the case (Cooler Master Sileo 500) through the rear intake fan and floats through the massive heatsink of my cooler. It´s fan is attached at the bottom and pushed the air out of the heatsink down to my grafic card. Should I change anything on this airflow regarding to my SB upgrade ( Parts are on the way. Expect them to be here tomorow.).
HelloRemember Hot Air Rises Your cool air should come into the sileo from the front bottom vent and exit from the rear vent, your CPU coolers fan should push air through the vanes on the cooler and towards the rear vent.What you have is cool air coming into the top of the case and mixing with the hot air which is trapped at the top of the case with no escape path, you are then pulling this hot air through your cpu cooler and then onto your GFX card.This hot air then rises to be trapped at the top and the cycle repeats.Here is the most thermally efficient layout for the Sileo and how most cases without a roof mounted fan are designed to work.

Well, heat rises. So with that particular case it's best to intake at the front bottom, and EXHAUST through the back rear. Orient the cooler so that it is blowing towards the rear exhaust.EDIT: Maddog beat me to it. Sorry

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

HelloRemember Hot Air Rises Your cool air should come into the sileo from the front bottom vent and exit from the rear vent, your CPU coolers fan should push air through the vanes on the cooler and towards the rear vent.What you have is cool air coming into the top of the case and mixing with the hot air which is trapped at the top of the case with no escape path, you are then pulling this hot air through your cpu cooler and then onto your GFX card.This hot air then rises to be trapped at the top and the cycle repeats.Here is the most thermally efficient layout for the Sileo and how most cases without a roof mounted fan are designed to work.
WOW, I didn´t know that I can mount a second cooler on the frontside. I´ll check what I can do tomorow and then I´ll decide what to do.

WOW, I didn´t know that I can mount a second cooler on the frontside. I´ll check what I can do tomorow and then I´ll decide what to do.
HelloThe Sileo should have come with one 120mm fan mounted in the front pushing air over your hard disks and another 120mm on the rear.