Sign in to follow this  
Dan8705

Using the g940 with vrs superbug

So I recently bought the Logitech G940 flight system. Absolutely love it (minus a couple things, i.e. the lights on the throttle unit don't change color as advertised, etc).my question is, does anyone else out there have the g940 and using it relatively well with the VRS superbug in fsx? My problem is trying to figure out which program I need to use to map all the keystrokes to the superbug. I know you have to have this other third-party program (I don't remember the name of it) to run superbug in fsx. I have it (obviously) but it's the free version. Now while VRS says you don't have to have the paid version, they recommend it because the free version doesn't map the keys as well as the paid one does. For instance, one example they give it the firing command. In the paid version, you can map the keys to your joystick using the third-party program so that when you hold down the trigger for a second then let it go to fire the missle, bomb, etc. The free version limits that ability to where you have to press the fire button twice to release the selected weapon. In addition, they claim that some of the programs take higher priority over other ones, in regards to key mapping. However they don't specify which ones and in what order. So I'm at a little bit of a loss in figuring out which program to use to map the keys: logitech's profile manager, superbugs ACM, fsx, or the other third-party program. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? I'd great appreciate it!

Hi Dan,I don't have the Superbug but I would like to suggest you to try using FSUIPC for all mapping (axis and buttons).hope that helps,Igor

Hi DanAs Igor says FSUIPC4 is the best way to assign and calibrate axes, buttons and keys.A couple of points I had issues with the Logitech software and FSUIPC4 so in the end I stopped loading the software and just used FSX and FSUIPC4.I always 'mix 'n match' assignments any axis, key or button that I can I assign in FSX (Windows) there is no advantage in assigning common keys, buttons or axes in FSUIPC4 if you can do it in FSX. However I always calibrate any axis in FSUIPC4.One thing to remember is that there must be NO duplicate assignments (wrt to the G940) between the Logitech software, FSX (Windows) and FSUIPC4. FSX has a nasty habit of assigning stuff when you are not looking and be sure to check the keyboard and mouse too! So only have one assignment per axis, key or button.You can assign everything in FSUIPC4 and absolutely nothing in FSX and you can set that up to be specific just for the VRS SuperBug.Make sure that you calibrate everything in FSUIPC4 after you have finished assigning the axis, etc. I prefer to assign common axes in FSX eg elevator, aileron, brakes, rudder and all the special stuff (multiple engines, nav equipment, gear up and gear down) via FSUIPC4, but that's a personal choice.In FSUIPC4 when you assign an axis do check that it is the correct axis, as sometimes FSUIPC4 can inadvertently think that you are assigning say the elevator when you meant ailerons, just test the same axis a few times to make sure it is the one you selected.Read Pete Dowson's manual for FSUIPC4 (it is long and there is a steep learning curve) and there is a section in there on how to it will assign letters to the various components of the G940 its called "Keeping track of multiple control devices ("Joy Letters/Numbers")Also make sure you read the manual before you ask for PeteD's advice over on simflight, he can be a little fierce if the answer you want is in the manual, but he is extremely helpful if you need him to solve a particular problem.I had issues between the G940 and FSUIPC4 - everytime that I went into the assignments page of FSUIPC4 to assign an axis, when I moved the axis on the G940 (so that FSUIPC4 "recognises" it) it changed the menu in FSUIPC4 - very frustrating, but apparently no one else has reported this issue.One overall guiding principle to remember is, If you can't do it, or see it in FSX then you can't do it or see it in FSUIPC4. FSUIPC4 only works if FSX works and it can't fix any inherent problems in FSX.Regards :(

Hi DanAs Igor says FSUIPC4 is the best way to assign and calibrate axes, buttons and keys.A couple of points I had issues with the Logitech software and FSUIPC4 so in the end I stopped loading the software and just used FSX and FSUIPC4.I always 'mix 'n match' assignments any axis, key or button that I can I assign in FSX (Windows) there is no advantage in assigning common keys, buttons or axes in FSUIPC4 if you can do it in FSX. However I always calibrate any axis in FSUIPC4.One thing to remember is that there must be NO duplicate assignments (wrt to the G940) between the Logitech software, FSX (Windows) and FSUIPC4. FSX has a nasty habit of assigning stuff when you are not looking and be sure to check the keyboard and mouse too! So only have one assignment per axis, key or button.You can assign everything in FSUIPC4 and absolutely nothing in FSX and you can set that up to be specific just for the VRS SuperBug.Make sure that you calibrate everything in FSUIPC4 after you have finished assigning the axis, etc. I prefer to assign common axes in FSX eg elevator, aileron, brakes, rudder and all the special stuff (multiple engines, nav equipment, gear up and gear down) via FSUIPC4, but that's a personal choice.In FSUIPC4 when you assign an axis do check that it is the correct axis, as sometimes FSUIPC4 can inadvertently think that you are assigning say the elevator when you meant ailerons, just test the same axis a few times to make sure it is the one you selected.Read Pete Dowson's manual for FSUIPC4 (it is long and there is a steep learning curve) and there is a section in there on how to it will assign letters to the various components of the G940 its called "Keeping track of multiple control devices ("Joy Letters/Numbers")Also make sure you read the manual before you ask for PeteD's advice over on simflight, he can be a little fierce if the answer you want is in the manual, but he is extremely helpful if you need him to solve a particular problem.I had issues between the G940 and FSUIPC4 - everytime that I went into the assignments page of FSUIPC4 to assign an axis, when I moved the axis on the G940 (so that FSUIPC4 "recognises" it) it changed the menu in FSUIPC4 - very frustrating, but apparently no one else has reported this issue.One overall guiding principle to remember is, If you can't do it, or see it in FSX then you can't do it or see it in FSUIPC4. FSUIPC4 only works if FSX works and it can't fix any inherent problems in FSX.Regards :(
Hey thanks a lot! I will def have to read the manual. Though this might be covered in the manual, I'm curious if FSUIPC4 "sees" the three different modes the g940 offers (the switch on the throttle). Also, what are you using your r1 and r2 dials for?

DanI no longer use the G940 - mine was an "early" model and I had a lot of issues with calibration ans losing assignments when FSX closed.I can't honestly remember what I used those r1 and r2 rotary switches for. I know that some switches weren't recognised in FSX but not sure if it was those two.With FSUIPC4 you can 'program' the modes but I'm not sure how - it is covered in the manual and will probably be via a macro and/or lua script.RegardsPeterH

Well after some reading I gathered that, to do anything really useful, I would need to buy the payware version. :(

I agree that FSUIPC is normally the way to go for axis mapping. I can't explain it well, but to replicate the fly-by-wire system, VRS has it's own method of capturing the basic flight axes. As such, I've found (and they warn on their website) that mapping basic flight axes through anything other than the default FSX interface can cause significant control problems. In my experience FSUIPC can map these axes, but problems can arise when using FSUIPC. I personally found when using FSUIPC that my idle thrust was about 80% throttle (this seemed to have something to do with the afterburner detents I was trying to use). The solution I have settled on is to map my aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle 1/2 (basic flight controls) through the FSX interface. I have a TM Warthog, which leaves me with a slew of other buttons, and map the remaining buttons and axis through FSUIPC. This has been my happy compromise.

Eric Szczesniak

I agree that FSUIPC is normally the way to go for axis mapping. I can't explain it well, but to replicate the fly-by-wire system, VRS has it's own method of capturing the basic flight axes. As such, I've found (and they warn on their website) that mapping basic flight axes through anything other than the default FSX interface can cause significant control problems. In my experience FSUIPC can map these axes, but problems can arise when using FSUIPC. I personally found when using FSUIPC that my idle thrust was about 80% throttle (this seemed to have something to do with the afterburner detents I was trying to use). The solution I have settled on is to map my aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle 1/2 (basic flight controls) through the FSX interface. I have a TM Warthog, which leaves me with a slew of other buttons, and map the remaining buttons and axis through FSUIPC. This has been my happy compromise.
Mapping through FSUIPC is fine, in fact I do it that way myself. But you've got to use the FSUIPC option: "Send to FS as Normal Axis", or else we're never going to see them. Thanks to the FSUIPC interface, you can do this on an aircraft-specific basis as well, so there's no need to do it globally.

You definitely need FSUIPC. I have a g940, don't use it anymore as I prefer a yoke now asI fly mainly GA/Boeings. I bought the g940 mainly when I was on my Suerbug kick and I loved it, check out http://team-challenger.com/?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=53 its the speedbird applet for g940, not sure what stage its at now, but it can control the lights.